Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by csertich
I pretend I don't have the gauge and just check the oil like I've always done. The dipstick.

Best advice in the world.

This "problem" is very common in the getting to know your 993 stage. Most, if not all, of us have experienced that Oh-my-god-I-bought-a-lemon-it-needs-a-rebuild feeling with regards to oil level, consumption, and level gauge. The first year I had my 95 I was completely convinced the car needed top end work as it seemed to go through 1litre every 600-800 miles. The reason? I was relying on that pesky oil level gauge more than the dipstick. With this particular car the gauge didn't read in the middle until the oil level was to the very top of the "twirly" section of the dipstick. What I've since found is that keeping the oil level in the middle of the dipstick, a point at which the gauge needle just barely bounces off the bottom, the car consumes very little oil and doesn't go below that point on the dipstick. All of the above is with the car completely warm/hot after a drive and letting it idle for thirty seconds or so. The key is finding that sweet spot and trusting the dipstick.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:45 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, all of your advice is well received.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Best advice in the world.

This "problem" is very common in the getting to know your 993 stage. Most, if not all, of us have experienced that Oh-my-god-I-bought-a-lemon-it-needs-a-rebuild feeling with regards to oil level, consumption, and level gauge. .
Why do some engines consume so much oil if you fill past the middle of the dipstick? When I was keeping mine near the top, is was using a bunch of oil, but I never saw any smoke. It must be making it into the combustion chamber, but I don't understand the mechanics of why a little extra oil in the tank is quickly consumed. Is there an overflow from the tank into the intake manifold or something?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

very informative read, nice to verify what I've experienced. When I first got my car I was always worried about that dang gauge. Now if anyone asks what my gauge says for oil level, I tell them the truth: I have no idea, but the oil is mid twisty
Old 04-21-2009, 05:40 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I did a bunch of reading on this a few days ago after the oil volume gauge stopped registering yet the dipstick range was still fine. I discovered:

-The sender unit can be adjusted so that the gauge is more accurate for your particular car and operating environment (good pics of the assemblies are here, just search, look for a threads/posts by "shamrock")

If this is true, mine must have been adjusted because despite what others said about how unaccurate the guage is, mine works very precisely and my mechanic actually looked at the gauge going up while adding the oil. He does the final check with the dipstick. Also, when stopping at the traffic light, within seconds, my guage goes up to its proper level.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that my gauge is inconsistent. Sometimes it reads right and sometimes not at all. I really don't trust it unless the engine is hot and the temp needle is at least 9 o'clock.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

993's, like all the earlier 911's, use a dry-sump oil system. This means there's an oil tank plumbed into the engine lubrication system that holds several quarts of oil, plus or minus several quarts of oil, depending on RPM's, engine temp, and the angle of the car on the ground. Both the dipstick and the gauge measure the level of oil in the oil tank. This is why the oil in a 993 can only be checked when 1) the engine is at operating temperature, 2) has been idling for at least 10-20 seconds, and 3) is on level ground.

I've never seen any discrepancy (on my car) between the gauge and the dipstick when those three conditions are met.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a way of re-calibrating the oil level gauge?
(shamrock's thread)

My first "real" 993 question... oil level
(see JasonAndreas' posts including photos)
Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect you drive short distances and the engine never gets fully warm. The oil in the reservoir will warm up and then the full loop opens up. If you drive with just the oil in the reservoir lubricating the engine and then the fool loop opening up you can get a sudden drop in the oil amount. Also, when you do short trips the expansion of the cylinders uses more oil. I live in an area where we drive short distances and the oil I use is more than many post here. My mechanic who is a master Porsche Tech says not to worry. He goes by the dash gauge and told me not to bother with the dipstick. The car MUST be fully warmed up and on level ground for the level to be accurate. he also said not to put any oil in until the gauge hits the red and then only put in half a litre. I notice you are putting in 5-50 oil. I found a HUGE difference when I switched to the Mobile1 15-50 oil, I'm getting about 50% better oil consumption with the proper oil, the 5-50 is just to thin for frequent cold starts and short drives.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:05 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

No shop I've ever spoken with in the Atlanta area has indicated that the gauge is consistently an accurate measure of oil level. There are several excellent independent shops outside the northern perimeter up GA 400 and over toward both Buford and Marietta. You may want to get a second opinion about the advisability of trusting your oil gauge.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a new mechanic
Old 04-22-2009, 06:14 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

spent fortune on oil dumped in the intake because of dash gauge, 1 litre every 1000 kilometers.
Since checked through Dipstick in middle, 1 litre every 5000 kilometers.
On one oil filter change, I bought one oil tank lever gasket 99320722600, took the oil lever out,
bent the buoy axle 2-3 degrees, new gasket and mounted back everything.
Now, Oil level on dipstick in the middle, oil temperature gauge at 9, oil level gauge in the middle @ 3.

ps: when you unmount screws to take out oil lever buoy out, slide the mechanism out half way, and turn all mechanism upside down for buoy to go out of hole. Do not disconnect electrical cable or anything else. Axle is very thin metalic wire but very sturdy, when I say 2-3 degrees is just enough to bend the axle, regards
Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Terry, I got this advice from Alan K. at GCR in Roswell...I think he's pretty well respected in the North ATL area, however, I will seek out a second opinion.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption