Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So It Beginsc . . . 993 :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Don't know where you are right now, but...

if you don't find one quickly enough and you can drive through Tampa, I will be glad to let you take my spare for the drive, and then send it back if you don't use it.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks . . . well, the only thing holding me from that car is the PPI. I drove it in to the shop this morning. MAN! That car fits like a glove! I LOVE what it does just past 3K! It took me a bit to get used to the stiff clutch (lightened flywheel), though. Here's a funny -- some elderly, grumpy, UGLY woman in an Audi sedan behind me got all ticked off (it was quite visible) when I stalled the car over a large speed bump. She gave me a look so ugly even Hillary Clinton would have ran. So I gave her the single digit salute. Of course, I got the car going again and pass her butt on the road anyway. Already this car and I have a story to tell!

Anyway, I'm going to forget the bra for the moment as the car has plenty of specks on the bonnet anyway. I am going to take a clay bar to it when I get home in hopes that some of those will smooth out (could just be from sand, who knows?). Then I will use some cleaner wax, deep polish, and final wax. Then I will seal it in Saran Wrap and leave it in the garage until I wanna show it off.

Oh . . . the DME . . . the one that came out was from 12-94, so out of good sense, I just replaced it AND bought a new one as a spare. Sure, I'll keep the old one as well, mostly in case a lister gets stuck in Florida. But I'd rather know my spare is even going to work, you know? Ha!

Baron . . . I wrote down your phone number from your PM. I would DEFINITELY love to meet you and other listers along the way! Let me see what route John scoops up and I will let everyone know of it so we can have some get togethers. Maybe a BBQ this weekend somewhere? Oooo . . . think of how many 993s could converge on one location.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 469 Posts

Having now been with the car, there is something you've forgotten to do................

TAKE & POST PICS!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:50 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Bonnie: it's great to hear that you are bonding with your new car and the good folks here on the 993 board. You've heard of the slippery slope, right? If you haven't, plenty of people here will be more than happy to educate you.

Have a great trip home!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...some grumpy...woman...got ticked off...
I've had this happen as well, these cars seem to set some people off.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I have only personally taken one picture of the car myself. I will set up a website with photos of the trip and post the URL here.

Yes Dave, I believe I know what that slippery slope you are talking about is. Right now the only mod for this car will be a good thorough cleaning and a check off to PCA.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rinty
I've had this happen as well, these cars seem to set some people off.
I think she was just mad that she's too fat to fit in the seats! Lol.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I am sooo envious. Have a great and safe drive home.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The Long Beach Grand Prix is this weekend if you want to take a dive up the coast their will be three days of great car stuff for you to see.... And welcome to the 993 saving account :-)
Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post. I'm happy for you. Congratulations.

I gotta say this: IF you have a flat, be careful of the jack that comes with the 993 (non-turbo). It's a piece of ****. It's dangerous. Buy a 2 ton scissors jack before you hit the road. Their not that big. I always keep one in my car.

And you could add a tire flat repair kit. But get the jack!

Have a great trip. Driving my car home (only 800 miles) was a once in a life time thing. I remember everything about my ride back. Unbelievable. Have a safe trip.

chuck
Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Have a great trip, I just did 650 miles when I picked up my 97 993 C2. I actually got 28.9 mpg on cruise control at 78 mph. It was a lot of fun getting to know the car. The hardest part was learning about the "Immobilizer". I am scared of the stupid thing......I have a hard time determining if the engineers were in a hurry to get to Oktoberfest when the designed it or just came back from Oktoberfest and designed it. Yours is a 95 so it probably does not have this "feature".
Old 04-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am scared of the stupid thing...bpras
On my delivery trip, I delayed my first fuel stop by about an hour, I was so worried about the thing.

Now, where possible, I just leave the key in the ignition, when I'm refueling.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Lol on the immobilizer. I did that TWICE yesterday already. And I freaked when the rear spoiler light came on -- I had not read the manual yet so did not realize what it was for. I got out and kept trying to close the hood, lol. Anyway . . . I just ordered new tires front and rear, and am going to get it aligned afterward tomorrow.

The PPI did yield a hiccup, which drove the price down several grand in case I have to get a valve job done, but a lot of times it clears itself up, according to two different shops. It's a long story, but I bet you all know it already anyway.

I pick up the car this afternoon. I have already wired the moolah and all is set. Weee!!! If anyone runs into it, you all might have to bail me out of jail.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:06 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

CONGRATS!!!!

Enjoy the trip back. As others have said, I too found it to be a great opportunity to learn about the car. Was surprised to get 30mpg on a tank of gas too.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

This has been so much fun -- this thread is starting to turn epic with all the posts. It just goes to prove that we're all a bunch of crazy car lovers. Here is a pic I took yesterday . . . more to come . . .

Quick Reply: So It Beginsc . . . 993 :)