Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: New Museum, Factory Tour & Weissach

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:29 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man! I went last August and the factory tour was a blast, even the girlfriend loved it. However, I only got the chance to tour the rinky dink old museum which was very lame in comparison to the BMW museum. Thanks for posting the pics!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
Pstraub, thanks for posting the pics and the writeup. I just talked to one of my best friends who moved to Berlin last year, and I told him that I might visit later this year and also go to Stuttgart. How can I go on a factory tour? I went to Wolfsburg a couple of years ago (Volkswagen is my religion), and there were tours every half hour. I heard that you have to sign up in advance to go on the Porsche factory tour. What did you end up doing to make the arrangements? Also, did you get to go to the library in the new museum? I heard they have hundreds of books, but you have to reserve time for that, too. Thanks!
You have to schedule a factory tour in advance, I started working on it 6 months before my trip. I was able to have 5 people in my party. Send an email to werksfuehrungen@porsche.de This is 'factory tour' in German. There is a guy there named Christian Hoenniger, he was very helpful and it was an incredible experience. I did not see the library in the new museum. If you are going to have a nice dinner in Stuttgart, eat at the new restaurant, Christophorus. It's at the top of the museum and looks out over Porscheplatz, great food and atmosphere.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:09 PM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by curve lover
Thanks for the tour, Paul!
Any recollection of the significance of the blue 993 behind Turbos? I'm guessing it's a projected 'evolution' morph; appears to be a similarly-painted 996 in your following photo.
Yes, the projection on the wall behind the turbos shows the evolution of the shape and size. It is not related to the turbos, just near them. It's really amazing because it starts with the early 356 and morphs to the current 997. They had very impressive displays like that all over the place. There were also 3 'sound cones', for lack of a better term. You walk into this small circle and there is this crazy, high-end audio system directly overhead that plays different Porsche engine sounds. Anyway, it's just a great place!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstraub
OK, finally got the photos from my trip on my website, here is the link....

http://www.paulstraub.com/TravelGallery.html

If anyone wants a high-res original, just let me know.....Paul
Paul, I just checked out your website. Besides browsing through the pictures from your trip, I feel that I've also gotten to know you and your family better. BTW it is very cool that you got a website with your own name as the web address!
Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 AM
pstraub
Pro

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
Paul, I just checked out your website. Besides browsing through the pictures from your trip, I feel that I've also gotten to know you and your family better. BTW it is very cool that you got a website with your own name as the web address!
Thanks Mike, looking forward to seeing your new seats. I am not going to miss the next NorCal rennlist drive! Hope to see you soon....Paul
Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pstraub
I will attach a few general photos here. One of interest for 993 fans was a Stuttgart police car. We know how significant the 993 is, and this one happened to be the one-millionth car that rolled off the Porsche line since they officially opened shop in 1948.

Just found this cool pic...

Quick Reply: OT: New Museum, Factory Tour & Weissach