Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: any frequent car renters here? what do you do about insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 PM
ard
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts
Default OT: any frequent car renters here? what do you do about insurance?

Hi,

I am looking for wisdom on personal (not business) car rentals.

What is the RL consenus on / what are the alternatives to buying the insurance offered through the rental companies?

I know that if I do not purchase the insurance offered by the rental company, then for a domestic rental my own insurance is "primary".

I don't like that idea, but the idea of paying ~$40 / day (that > $14,000! per year) to the rental company seems like the proverbial highway robbery. (yes I know, a rental car is rarely rented out 365 days a year, but you get my point).

I have heard anecdotal evidence of there being credit card companies that offer "primary" insurance when paying with that credit card, but I have never actually run across such a card. Does anyone know of such a card? Even if such a card exists my, again anecdotal, recollection is that it covers only damage to the rented vehicle not other vehicles, or liability.

I am planning a trip by car from New York (pickup at Kennedy airport), to Philadelphia and back to Boston and up into Maine in the summer. Quite a bit of driving, so "per mile driven" which seems a reasonable proxy for the likelihood of having an accident, buying the offered insurance may not be such a bad deal.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ard; 04-09-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

I never have bought it.

Never had an accident either, but Avis once tried to charge me for a 1 mm door ding. I took a pic, told them it was going on my CC card insurance anyway, and I would never rent another Avis car. The guy backed off.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:59 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My personal auto policy covers me in the US and Canada, but not international. I buy the insurance from the rental company on international rentals when on business, but then realized during our last vaction that my credit card company does cover primary insurance on international rentals. I'm pretty sure it was my Citibank dividend card that I used, but might have been another. I think it's pretty common coverage for international.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

I rent often - as recent as last Friday. I always decline, but if I were to ever get into an accident they would initially hold my deductible. A few years back, I rented a mini van for a week trip to SC; for some reason I took their (budget) insurance, and guess what - I ended up in a fender bender. It felt good returning the car, handing the keys over and not have to worry about paying a dime. Oh, as I type, I now remember why I took the insurance. The sales guy had earlier explain to me that someone the prior week had rented a moving truck, decide to pull the truck into their home garage, and in doing so rip the top of the cab back to the tune of over 10k in damage. Needless to say they had declined the insurance when offered to them...
Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem with relying only on your auto coverage is that you'll still be on the hook for the deductable. So if you crack the windshield or get a flat, generally, it's on your dime. When I rent trucks to go dirt biking (my cc doesn't cover rental trucks), I get insurance if I rent for the day. However, if I rent for a longer period, the daily insurance rate adds up so I live dangerously and go without.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sears Mastercard covers me anywhere in the world as long as I book and pay with it.

American Express--100 miles inside of Mexico or something that nature---thats why I use Sears Mastercard.

I know all the secret discount codes to get great rates when booking online.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 AM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

For personal rentals, I always rely on my credit card for insurance. Got a windshield busted in Europe and they covered it. Had to wait 3 months, but they covered it. I have a life time coverage of 150K
Old 04-10-2009, 03:22 AM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Never have gotten the extra coverage except when a Hurricane was on the way.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do it just because then I don't worry about ding and dents that happens to be below my deductible. These days, I can't seem to count on credit card companies to step up and provide me the service I think I deserve, or know I received even just a few years ago let alone counting on them in case of an accident. For example, when I was getting ripped off by OnlineCarStereo.com I couldn't even get Discover Card to issue me a credit till 15 days after my inital complaint to the crooks ripping me off, which was more than 2 weeks after I realized they weren't going to ship me my stuff.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Are you referring to actual insurance or collision damage waiver? Damage waiver is not really insurance but limits you liabilty to something like $1000 to $5000, depending on the policy, rather than the entire value of the car. So, in this case, if you get the "insurance" and then get into a "fender bender" you will still need to pay for most of the damage.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts

My mantra, insure for what you can't afford to lose. Insurance should be for catastrophic events.

If you make lots of "deductible" claims, you pay for it in your rates eventually. If you don't make lots of deductible claims, then high deductibles over time are better for you wallet. If you can afford $1K plus for tires, you should be able to afford out of pocket deductibles if they ever do happen. Only for catastrophic events is insurance ever a good deal for you, otherwise the insurers are making a killing off of you.

They push the FUD, but if you will worry about it so much (thanks to their FUD), then what is your enjoyment worth to you? Pay the rental coverage and enjoy your vacation. Or switch to a credit card company that offers this, even if it is a pain in the rear to get them to pay out.

And in the US many Insurance companies will cover your car rental on your policy (deductibles apply).
Old 04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Check with your insurance company first and determine the conditions under which you have coverage, what your deductable will be, and how much, if any, your premium will rise if you file a claim. Armed with that info, you can determine what you can afford as cited by Kein_Ersatz.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 PM
DryFly
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Sears Mastercard covers me anywhere in the world as long as I book and pay with it.

American Express--100 miles inside of Mexico or something that nature---thats why I use Sears Mastercard.

I know all the secret discount codes to get great rates when booking online.
Discount codes??? Do tell! It'll be our secret!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:21 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Waive...Corporate insurance, Personal insurance, Credit card, seem to have several layers of coverage
Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 PM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Careful, in some states insurance does not cover loss of use coverage

Means you pay for the time the car is off duty. You need to check with your carrier.

Quick Reply: OT: any frequent car renters here? what do you do about insurance?