993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A near disaster- almost bought a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009 | 03:02 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Like others here, a Ferrari is high on my want list. But something more low key, like a classic '70s Dino, might be less 'in your face'. Unfortunately, prices for those are way above what I'd be prepared to spend. Does anyone know how maintenance costs on these cars compare to the 308/328/etc. cars?
Old 04-09-2009 | 03:17 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Originally Posted by logan2z
Like others here, a Ferrari is high on my want list. But something more low key, like a classic '70s Dino, might be less 'in your face'. Unfortunately, prices for those are way above what I'd be prepared to spend. Does anyone know how maintenance costs on these cars compare to the 308/328/etc. cars?
I agree completetly. I'd love any older vintage Ferrari and you're right that they would probably attract way less attention from the general public. It's funny that a high dollar car like an early 60's spyder would probably not attract half the attention that a newer 360 or 430 would attract. Unfortunately, I don't see the prices of those early cars ever lining up with my abilty or willingness to buy at that price.
Old 04-09-2009 | 03:54 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

To get a Ferrari that has at least similar performance to a 993, you'd need to step up to a 348 or possibly 355. As others have said, maintenance costs would be the nail in the coffin for me. Although there are many Ferraris around with big miles, the cost to get them there would probably be jaw-dropping. I also get the feeling, maybe wrong, that if you drove the two cars in the same manner, the Porsche would be proven to be the more robust.

Don't get me wrong, if and when I can afford to buy and maintain a 360/430/550/575 Ill be all over one. As it stands, I could see it sucking every penny I have.

One final note, a US spec 308, QV or not, wouldn't see which way an early 2.5L Boxster Tiptronic went let alone a 993.
Old 04-09-2009 | 05:12 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rinty
One of my neighbours has a 360, and he says the only thing he doesn't like about it is the crowd that it attracts, everywhere.

I have to think that 308 prices have dropped to a level where more folks are thinking about ownership. I haven't done any research on them, but my understanding is that they are one of the "affordable" Ferrari's, and are not seen by the Ferraristi as one of their more desirable models (i.e. the Ducati Paso of Ferraris). But I've always quite liked them.
I like your Duc reference.... I have an MV Agusta 312 and I hardly ride it because every a$$hole wants to touch it. I'm sure that the half of them that know what it is are probably thinking the same thing as the with a Ferrari but......... BTW you could buy a 348 for 993NA money these days if you just want to drive a Ferrari.... The only Ferrari bargain that I'd take would be a Testarossa, but I'd turn it into a coffee table so my neighbors don't see it.....
Old 04-09-2009 | 06:39 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

From: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

When I was looking for something high-performance a few years ago, pre-Porsche, I went through the same phase. My budget was in the nice 308/nice Mondial/maybe 328 territory. 348 and beyond at that time was just out of reach for me. I joined Ferrairichat, read, read, read, talked to people, was 10 min. away from putting a big deposit on a very nice '85 Mondial w/ 28K miles on it - but I couldn't do it. Something was holding me back. I felt like I was walking into a trap. I only do about 25% of the work on any of my cars, and that would probably drop close to 0 on a Ferrari. We have a ton of choices where I live of where to take a Porsche for service, but as in most places, very few choices for a Ferrari. And thus, even routine services, like timing belts and the mandatory engine reseals, makes the 30K and 60K milestones major "engine-out" events that cost 2-3X what a Porsche would. And many owners can afford the car but not the upkeep (so you need a massive reserve), so on many (most) cars you look at, that stuff has been deferred and the car has suffered for it - and it will all come due on your watch. Another thing was the runtime/downtime ratio, Reminds me again why I don't own a plane.

These cars were fragile to begin with, and now they're so long in the tooth, there are any number of things that can bite you. There was a highly publicized car fire at a gas station in my area a few years ago, it was a 308 with the infamous fuel line rupture. I think it had just been cosmetically restored but oops, forgot that. Burnt to a crisp, but nobody got hurt except their pride. So I went the Porsche route instead, and it was certainly one of the better decisions I've made in my life. I don't feel like the car is ready to betray me at the next turn.

Still, a late-model Mondial passed me in the freeway tunnel a while back, and got on it. Oooo-laa-laaa...

Last week, I pulled into the gas station and there was a guy fueling a black 308. We gave each other the thumbs-up, as my eyes darted about for the fire extinguisher... And, I was reminded again how small they are when you're next to one. How did Magnum fit in:there, anyway??
Old 04-09-2009 | 08:31 PM
Jeff Ward
Instructor

Default That is exactly what I mean..

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
- but I couldn't do it. Something was holding me back. I felt like I was walking into a trap.
Barry,

You really summed it up...I was ready to pull the trigger on a very nice car, but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it.

This is not the Ferrari I was interested in, but this is a prime example of the maintenance history and expense I saw on just about every nice 308/328...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...QQcmdZViewItem

Clutch at less than 11K miles? $13,000.00 service bill? I don't mind spending dollars for service, but that seems absolutely ridiculous. We 993 owners worry that maybe we will have to address worn valve guides- after reading the Ferrari owners' travails, that seems like chump change.

I love the idea of owning a Ferrari, but truth is it would own me.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy. Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Ward; 04-09-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 04-09-2009 | 09:17 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

I'll take my furniture like this:

Coffee table
Old 04-09-2009 | 10:46 PM
Tania W
Racer

Hand up here too....when I bought my C4S, my other choices were to buy a new M3 (2001) for the same money, or cough up about a third more for a low mileage Ferrari 355 GTB.
I love the way the Ferrari looks but my head kept telling my heart not to be so bloody stupid! The extra initial cost was do-able but it would have given me nothing in reserve...and I had heard all the scary Ferrari maintainance stories.
I have no regrets now, and there are very few cars I see on the road that I wish I had rather than my Porsche....but whenever I see a Fly Yellow 355 GTB for sale I do wonder.......
Old 04-09-2009 | 10:54 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Best solution for Ferrari lust? RENT ONE! Get that rush we're all looking for without the servicing/depreciation/oh-my-god-it-won't-be-worth-a-dime-if-I-actually-drive-it worries.
Old 04-09-2009 | 11:10 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Best solution for Ferrari lust? RENT ONE! Get that rush we're all looking for without the servicing/depreciation/oh-my-god-it-won't-be-worth-a-dime-if-I-actually-drive-it worries.
I saw an exotic car rental agency on my last trip to Las Vegas. Sitting below the glowing neon sign was a thoroughly trashed Mondial Cab. That $hit can explained the wannabe Vegas culture 100%.
Old 04-10-2009 | 12:02 PM
Bergamasco
Three Wheelin'

I feel exactly the same as you, Ed. I am not a big fan of the looks of the 308. ( Sorry guys. ) I think it looks way too dated and I think there are better classic looking Ferraris out there. I sat in the 430 a couple of weeks ago and boy that was a silly mistake. Now, I really need to win the lottery. LOL The car fits My lean 6'2'' physique like a glove and the chance to peer back over the transparent engine cover of the cabrio is just too much. Having said all that I would not want to let my 993 C4S go unless it was first to replace it with a better example of the exact same car. Getting back to really classic lines... Does anyone remember which car Enzo said was the most beautiful car ever made? I believe it is still the only car to ever make it on permanent display in the museum of modern art. I hope I will be able to buy one next as a companion to my C4S - strictly as a garage princess. Happy motoring everyone. I think spring has finally arrived and I get my car back from the detailer/custom body shop tomorrow. I can't wait. - Glenn
Old 04-10-2009 | 01:04 PM
Rinty
Drifting

I have an MV Agusta 312...JDHertz
That would really knock them on their asses, at Alice's!
Old 04-10-2009 | 02:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Yeah, I've rented a few newer Ferraris/Lamborghinis/Astons/Maseratis from time to time over the years. It's cheaper than a full-time shrink and it sure is fun for the day. Drive it like a madman, let the shop deal with the upkeep.
Old 04-10-2009 | 02:57 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
...And, I was reminded again how small they are when you're next to one. How did Magnum fit in:there, anyway??
Not very well!

IIRC, his head stuck up above the top of the windshield
Old 04-10-2009 | 04:13 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

IMHO, the 308 and 328 is nowhere near an upgrade from the 993. Careful about the Ferrari allure, in the end it will own you.

Quick Reply: A near disaster- almost bought a Ferrari