Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring is sprung! Time to replace Potenza S02A's. Are these tires still decent?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spring is sprung! Time to replace Potenza S02A's. Are these tires still decent?

Way up north here in Canada spring is finally breaking and it's time to wake the Targa up from its winter hibernation! woohoo

It's also time to replace my tires, Bridgestone Potenza S02As. I've been very happy with these tires, they're very sticky and have taken a lot of abuse. The rears are just about shot, the fronts of course still have a decent amount of tread left.. sigh, oh well, the 993 appetite for rear tires is well known.

I've had these tires since 2004 and to my surprise, I can still order S02A's from tirerack. I thought Bridgestone would have phased them out by now... the reason for the post, are these still being made because they are so good, or are they a dated design.... are there recommendations out there on better/new tread designs that are comparable to what I got from the SO2A's?

Mucho gracias!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For the money you can do better. Please give me a call.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I was just in your situation. Fronts were good, rears were shot with S02As. I have heard great things about the Sumitomo HRZ III and considered replacing all 4 tires with these. However, I decided to simply put the SO2As on the rear and keep the fronts. Next time I will replace all 4 with Sumitomos.

(BTW, my fronts were only 2 years old. So I was not worried about old tires. You may want to check the date codes on your fronts if you are considering using them.)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

pjconner, after my post I did consider "why not just replace the rears with another pair of S02As?" Then I'd be maintaining the same tread all the way around and would save some $$

What would be considered to be "too old" for a tire like these? I googled it and found:

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

So, assuming an 03 manufacture date, am I ok or are performance tires in a different category?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Your tires are getting old. (Hard to believe that 2003 was that long ago). And you have to consider how old they will be when you wear them out - another 5 years?

I am no expert. But I would consider replacing all 4 in your situation since your fronts are aging. If the search function works, look for those Sumitomos. Lots of 993 users love them. My dad got a set for his Boxster and they are great. Damon at tire rack sells them.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 471 Posts

+1 on the Sumitomo HTRZIIIs. Alternatively from Bridgestone is the RE050A Pole Position which I've had in both 17 & 18" sizes. Great all around tire, very good in the rain, fairly quiet, and reasonably priced.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:26 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback everyone, just ordered a full set of Sumitomo HTRZIIIs. <wrings hands in anticipation!>

Quick Reply: Spring is sprung! Time to replace Potenza S02A's. Are these tires still decent?