Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 4wd front hub (x-post)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:49 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about 4wd front hub (x-post)

I took the front diff out of the Turbo today for service. In the meantime, I would like to drive the car as a 2wd. Do these have to be filled (see pics below).

Porsche lists a nut and bolt to go here in the 2wd cars, however, I can't see why they are necessary.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill, yes!

Those 2 (very) large Bolts and nuts are torqued to something around 340 ft lbs and hold the wheel hubs on.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things. First, if you do not but that big bolt and nut in the hub will pull out of the wheel bearing along with the rotor and all kinds of nasty stuff happens. Along with the bolt, you WILL need the ABS wheel to replace as your 4WD has this built into the axle. You can see the sensor for the ABS in the top of your first pic. The Shakeproof washer (ABS wheel) as it is called it pretty expensive. This puts the clamping force on the dual race bearing and keeps it working properly.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 PM
bill930p
Racer

I only want to drive the car for a day or two before I put back the diff. Can the car be used temporarily without the Shakeproof washer?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bill930p
I only want to drive the car for a day or two before I put back the diff. Can the car be used temporarily without the Shakeproof washer?

If you do not put that big bolt and nut in, the hub will pull out of the wheel bearing along with the rotor and all kinds of nasty stuff happens.

Along with the bolt, you WILL need the ABS wheel to replace as your 4WD has this built into the axle. This puts the clamping force on the dual race bearing and keeps it working properly

Andreas
Old 03-30-2009, 01:35 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bill930p
Without the washer and the bolt, I don't think you would make it to the end of the block before the outer race of the bearing pulls out taking the hub with it. So in essence, no.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully my "yes" above was clear... Bill had asked if the bolt/ABS Washer/Nut were necesary. That is what I said "yes" to

Bill, since you have the axles out you will want to have those nuts re-torqued when you are done. It takes 3/4" drive tools. Many shops that do alignments/CB can do it.
Also might want to replace the nut.

(hey Bob! hope all is well)
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Without the washer and the bolt, I don't think you would make it to the end of the block before the outer race of the bearing pulls out taking the hub with it. So in essence, no.
+1000 -- the bolt is to retain the hub in the bearing.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
neunneundrei
Racer

Originally Posted by MarkD
Hopefully my "yes" above was clear... Bill had asked if the bolt/ABS Washer/Nut were necesary. That is what I said "yes" to

Bill, since you have the axles out you will want to have those nuts re-torqued when you are done. It takes 3/4" drive tools. Many shops that do alignments/CB can do it.
Also might want to replace the nut.

+1. The nut should only be torqued once as per the shop manual so you'll have to replace it - just as with caliper bolts.

If you don't have the requisite torque wrench that you can borrow and you have to bring the car to a shop, make sure you torque the new nuts nice and tight with whatever tools you have and drive nice and easy to the shop where you'll get them torqued.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
bill930p
Racer

After re-reading the replys, it is clear I would need all three parts. I called for prices on the parts, and it looks like it will cost about $280. I don't know if thats worth the cost. I'm not intending to convert the car, I was just courious to drive around for a few days (while the diff was out) as a 2wd, for kicks.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

If just the diff is out, how are you going to drive it anyway? The torque tube bolts to the front diff and it is the front diff that is mounted to the chassis. Without the front diff, the torque tube will just be bouncing around in there (only to the point where it breaks off the tail section of the tranny)...
Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM
neunneundrei
Racer

If just the diff is out, how are you going to drive it anyway? The torque tube bolts to the front diff and it is the front diff that is mounted to the chassis. Without the front diff, the torque tube will just be bouncing around in there (only to the point where it breaks off the tail section of the tranny)...
+1 - good point

My diff is still in there - only the drive shafts have been removed and then the requisite bolt, nut, etc. replaced...
Old 03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
bill930p
Racer

Hadn't gotten to that point yet. That would have been the next issue to solve, but I've decided to just leave the car put till everything is back togather.

Just out of couriousity, is there a way to solve that? Can the torque tube be bolted down somewhere?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Not too mention the shifter will be flopping around probably doing random gear changes. It is solved by removing the torque tube and installing a complete C2 type system for the shifter assembly..

Quick Reply: Question about 4wd front hub (x-post)