Retractible Spoiler plate replacement procedure

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retractible Spoiler plate replacement procedure

My spoiler has a crack right across the rear plate "wall" or whatever it's called. I have a new part for it and thought I would ask before I end up with a bunch of spare parts. Is this thing easy to replace? What is the recommended order of operations? Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2009, 03:29 PM
got*ki
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CN
My spoiler has a crack right across the rear plate "wall" or whatever it's called. I have a new part for it and thought I would ask before I end up with a bunch of spare parts. Is this thing easy to replace? What is the recommended order of operations? Thanks in advance
Spoiler Wall? If so, there's a DIY on P-car.com

http://p-car.com/diy/spoilerwall/

I need to replace mine also and have been shopping around for one. May I ask where you purchased yours and the price?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 03-28-2009, 07:31 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by got*ki
Spoiler Wall? If so, there's a DIY on P-car.com

http://p-car.com/diy/spoilerwall/

I need to replace mine also and have been shopping around for one. May I ask where you purchased yours and the price?

Thanks,
Russ
I got it at Pfaff Porsche in Oakville, Ontario $135 CDN. I figured out how to install it. Took about 30 minutes 2 screws.

Last edited by CN; 03-29-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:27 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You DO NOT have to remove the spoiler grill as indicated in that DIY. The spoiler wall snaps in and out. You will see clearly once you have the new one in your hands.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:42 AM
cy7878
Instructor

I found the bottom rubber seal can be more easily removed and put back if you open the engine lid and work from below with the spoiler partly opened. The DIY also doesn't mention the fact that the wall snaps into the bar near the bottom and since my old wall was ripped completely, I didn't have a good template to model.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:13 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah man - I did this a few weeks ago.
Got the part from Pelican - delivered to Aus - good service no problems.
Old one had snapped in half a long time ago and it was time to change it since I was getting some new parts sent from USA. Read the readme on P-car - it helped.

I recommend having a flat head screw driver to help push/pry the lining on the spoiler wall into the groove at the top when fitting the new item. You don't need to take any screws out or take anything apart. The process will take you about 5 to 15 minutes.

I raised the spoiler up about 3/4's of the way - so I could access the spoiler wall.
Slide the broken spoiler out and you will figure out how it is all connected and works.
Then slide the bottom part of the new spoiler wall on.
And finally use a little force to snap the top portion on.
I pushed an edge on first with my fingers and at times used a flat head screw driver from the top down to help push the rest onto the top lining.
This part took the most time and needed some grunt and patience.

You'll get heaps of finger marks on the car and probably wash it after you get the spoiler wall on successfully.

Good luck with your install mate.

Regards
Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Mine needs replacing too. Is this the right part?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2009, 10:50 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hal
Mine needs replacing too. Is this the right part?

Thanks!
Yes that is it
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Here is cheaper:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...Code=POTE993EX
Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cy7878
Thanks for the link. I'll place the order shortly!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:20 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

I have a rattle coming from the area of the spoiler. And my spoiler wall is also ripped. Does the rattle have something to do with the spoiler wall? Any of you also have a rattle issue? Did fixing the spoiler wall eliminate the rattle?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:45 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by johzev
I have a rattle coming from the area of the spoiler. And my spoiler wall is also ripped. Does the rattle have something to do with the spoiler wall? Any of you also have a rattle issue? Did fixing the spoiler wall eliminate the rattle?
No sure about the rattle, but when I had my old ripped wall on, there is a top plastic piece will move out of place (the part that's held by the 4 rectangular swivel tabs). Once I got the new wall in, that part actually gets pushed in a little by the wall so it's more stable.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't follow the DIY at pcar.com. Robin must have had a great desire to use his toolbox the day he wrote that.

It takes no tools as it snaps and slides right on. It's a 10 minute job including the beer at the end.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Don't follow the DIY at pcar.com. Robin must have had a great desire to use his toolbox the day he wrote that.

It takes no tools as it snaps and slides right on. It's a 10 minute job including the beer at the end.
you mean like how I took the front seat off today to mount an amp in my trunk? Still I didn't even get a beer at the end. you're right, the DIY is convoluted and takes you into unnecessary steps.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

For posterity sake, here is what I just learned changing the wall. As Cabrio993 said, no need to take things apart. And it is a 10 minute job, assuming you have removed all the old parts. A single small flat blade screw driver is the only tool you need.

In my case, the original wall was torn at the junction of the flexible portion and upper mounting strip. I did not realize the old strip mount was still in place and tried to snap the new one onto it. Everything worked nicely except the tail would not close. Once I figured out what was going on, I removed the last of the old wall and install the new one.

Getting that upper piece mounted was by far the most time consuming part. But as the P-Car FAQ says, take your time and go in small increments.

HTH

Quick Reply: Retractible Spoiler plate replacement procedure