Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

So...the search function doesn't work at all, does it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So...the search function doesn't work at all, does it?

I scored a cheap Becker CDR-220 and want to upgrade my speakers while I'm in there. I've tried a half-dozen different search terms (yes, using quote marks) to find past threads I recall seeing on this subject...but all the search function returns is a page that looks surprisingly like the first page of the 993 forum.

Most of the threads the "search" finds do not contain a single word I searched for. Is anyone minding the store?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
Is anyone minding the store?
No.

Andreas
Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a little luck using the "+" operator and only searching for text in the thread titles (advanced search).
Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search is arguably the most valuable commodity this site possesses - Or I should say, possessed.
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott
MarkD
Rennlist Member

yup, still sucks and it is getting really irritating.

On the plus side, you can finally upload more than 1 pic at a time! That is nice...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Noah and AOW, have you tried posting your problem in the thread created for such issues? Posting here does little to no good. Try:

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-an-issue.html

take a couple of mins to read through the hints and work arounds too. The reason search is new and different is that the original VB search engine could not handle the RL database one it got over 6 million posts. It was search that brought the site to its knees. IB guys wrote a new search engine which seems to work for me....

Regards,
Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
IB guys wrote a new search engine which seems to work for me....

Regards,
Bob,

Is there a link that you can give us on how the search engine works now? How are the wildcards specified? How are they joined?, excluded?, etc.

Since it seems to work for you, we are obviously missing something, since the search doesn't work for me anymore either.

Maybe IB could be so kind as to write instructions on the Search page for those of use that don't know what they wrote?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Noah and AOW, have you tried posting your problem in the thread created for such issues? Posting here does little to no good. Try:

take a couple of mins to read through the hints and work arounds too. The reason search is new and different is that the original VB search engine could not handle the RL database one it got over 6 million posts. It was search that brought the site to its knees. IB guys wrote a new search engine which seems to work for me....

Regards,
Hey Bob, thanks...

is there a post somewhere that sums up how we should do a search (on more than one word)? Advanced search says use quotes. Tried it. Works in some cases, not all.

I'd search that long thread but... well, you know

I have also tried using the + thing... works somewhat but I often cannot find what I need to find. And I know what I am looking for. Can even picture the thread...

When I get lucky and use the right words, I find the thread I am looking for. Odd thing is I can even see that it has the exact words I was searching on when it failed to find it.

Posting in the help forum has not me much good in the past, even when I have offered to assist in troubleshooting (as evidenced in the "Banner Ad Debacle of 2008").

OK, done whining!

Thanks for trying to help!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Last time I bothered to search for something, I came up with only topics from the past year or so. It's such a shame because the history of information on all things 993 is one of the things that makes this site so great. If that has been lost it will be very very sad.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Regards,
Bob, (and Adrian IB by proxy)
Can you post a top-of-the-forum sticky with the proper way to use the new, improved search? A little education goes a long way....

In that FAQ, you might just add the above explanation for the "old" search's removal. It helps some of us understand (and sympathize) with the upgrade that HAD to be done, rather than the assumption that IB was just changing things at random...

Thanks!
keith
Old 03-23-2009, 05:02 PM
dcdude
Drifting

It seems like storage is so cheap these days. I wonder if we can make the "older than 1 year" archive available for one of us to host somewhere else?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I scored a cheap Becker CDR-220 and want to upgrade my speakers while I'm in there. I've tried a half-dozen different search terms (yes, using quote marks) to find past threads I recall seeing on this subject...but all the search function returns is a page that looks surprisingly like the first page of the 993 forum.

Most of the threads the "search" finds do not contain a single word I searched for. Is anyone minding the store?
I've had some luck using the "Advanced Search" and checked "Search Titles Only" rather than "Search Entire Posts."
Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

IB doesn't want to talk about Search or give instructions, because their MASSIVE INCOMPETENCE will immediately be evident. After much experimenting, here's how I've found Search to "work" as Bob calls it:

1. By default, Search will OR your search terms (instead of AND). Yes, this is ridiculously stupid.
2. To AND your search terms, join them with a + with NO spaces between anything. Spaces will kill it.
3. If your search words are over 6 letters, then the + joiner does NOT work. This, too, is ridiculously stupid. So if you have long-ish words, you CANNOT use them in a "+" search.
4. You can put your words in quotes to search for an exact phrase, FWIW.
5. The red bolding of search terms no longer works.

So we have a search engine that *sort of* works.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 03-23-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Good catch MarkD!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
IB doesn't want to talk about Search or give instructions, because their MASSIVE INCOMPETENCE will immediately be evident. After much experimenting, here's how I've found Search to "work" as Bob calls it:

1. By default, Search will OR your search terms (instead of AND). Yes, this is ridiculously stupid.
2. To OR your search terms, join them with a + with NO spaces between anything. Spaces will kill it.
3. If either of your search words is over 6 letters, then the + joiner does NOT work. This, too, is ridiculously stupid. So if you have long-ish words, you CANNOT use them in an OR search.
4. You can put your words in quotes to search for an exact phrase, FWIW.

So we have a search engine that *sort of* works.
ah, that explains the reason quotes are not finding multiple words. It looks for exact phrase... which makes sense for quotes.
On # 2 I think you meant "to AND your search terms", right?

Quick Reply: So...the search function doesn't work at all, does it?