Sponsored by:

PSS10 Extra Lower Locknut Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PSS10 Extra Lower Locknut Issue

Here is another option for installing the lower extra rear drop link mount lock nuts. These have to be ordered separately as they are not part of the std kit ( I'd post pics but my computer is being reloaded due to a defective new Seagate hard drive).

As soon as I installed the lower lock nut and threaded the drop link mount down onto it I found that there was interference. The lock nut will not contact the lower face of the drop link mount as it hits the angled part first (here is where I need a pic). You have 2 choices at least. You can grind a lot of material off of the mount or you can install some big spacer washers. I found some 2 inch machine bushings (large washers) and used them. The id has to be ground out slightly to fit but it works well. Here is the link to the mfg's website

http://www.dynaline.com/data/Generic...ery%20Bushings

You need a couple of the 22730 washers per side. You can use one washer but you will still have to do a small amount of grinding. These washers are stocked at industrial nut and bolt supply houses.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you talking about the 3 black locking rings on each rear shock? Two interlock to adjust spring ride height, and the third one locks onto the droplink mount?

If so, the lower collar sits on top of the droplink mount. If you align the droplink mount properly, and then tighten it against that black collar, it should not move at all. Mine have been on for just under a year. So far nothing has ever moved.

I think using these washers to add an extra lower collar is a bad idea. Isn't the goal to have this extra collar (which I still think you don't need) interlock with the bottom of the droplink mount? If so, two washers would only prevent you from having a real tight lock. It might negate the benefit of that extra lower collar.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 AM
matt777
Drifting

I am talking about adding a 4th lock nut below the mount. This seems to be a common recommendation around here. Again, a pic of what I am talking about might help.

There are lots of pics of broken mounts and links on this forum so I thought I would be safe instead of sorry. Yes, perhaps properly tightening the top mount lock nut might be enough although heavier sways must exert more force on the mount which could possibly break it loose. I don't see any downside to the washer.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:48 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

You have to do the same thing for HD's and PSS9 as they all use the same type of drop link mount.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
You have to do the same thing for HD's and PSS9 as they all use the same type of drop link mount.
I know of a real cool cat out of Yorba Linda who came up with a real cool solution to the rotating mount syndrome...

Andreas
Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 AM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I know of a real cool cat out of Yorba Linda who came up with a real cool solution to the rotating mount syndrome...

Andreas
I could of just turned down the OD of the nut but that was more trouble. Maybe that guy can sell the split mount idea to Bilstein.

ps It will be a difficult sell if they don't think that there is a problem. Maybe they have the same engineers that designed my BMW tranny and software.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:56 AM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
Are you talking about the 3 black locking rings on each rear shock? Two interlock to adjust spring ride height, and the third one locks onto the droplink mount?

If so, the lower collar sits on top of the droplink mount. If you align the droplink mount properly, and then tighten it against that black collar, it should not move at all. Mine have been on for just under a year. So far nothing has ever moved.

I think using these washers to add an extra lower collar is a bad idea. Isn't the goal to have this extra collar (which I still think you don't need) interlock with the bottom of the droplink mount? If so, two washers would only prevent you from having a real tight lock. It might negate the benefit of that extra lower collar.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Cheers,

I did not add the 4th lock ring either. I also couldn't see how you could add one w/o some grinding or modification to the mount. I marked the drop link mount and the shock body so I can check to see if I'm getting any movement and 6 months w/o a problem. Now I've only done a couple of Auto-crosses and street driving. Now on the track I might be concerned.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
You have 2 choices at least. You can grind a lot of material off of the mount .
yup
see photo's below of before / after grinding.;
cost = pretty much zero if you already have a compressor, die grinder and rotary files.

thanks for the tip on the alternative, but the link didn't work for me today

Craig
Attached Images    

Last edited by cgfen; 03-20-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added 1 photo
Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 PM
matt777
Drifting

The link didn't work for me either today but you can just go to the main page. The washers were about a $1.25 each. If I had more time and access to a lathe I would just make spacers.

Last edited by matt777; 03-20-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
You are too nice Andreas -- just wish the market would allow the associated costs to what it takes to make these. I like them simply because of the slight interference fit that more than likely wouldnt require any lockrings.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:57 PM
matt777
Drifting

I will generously provide field testing for you Chris. I might even pay the freight.

ps I can't wait to get the car on the road and try out your control arm bushing upgrade
Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 PM
matt777
Drifting

Default Extra Locknuts are different

Just received the extra locknuts. They are not the same and I probably didn't need the grinding and washers
Here is my post and pics in another thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...n-collars.html

Quick Reply: PSS10 Extra Lower Locknut Issue