Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace just rear tires or all 4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as it's a comparable tire...nothing.

Other than the look you may get from the occasional bystander who wonders why the guy with the Porsche couldn't afford 4 of the same tire...
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the grip is going to be different when the brands don't match. If youre not driving to the limits of the car though, it doesn't make any difference that I've seen. I haven't had a matched set in 5 years.... but hope to get them matching with the next rear change later this year.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Even Porsche AG today is officially recommending the replacement of tires older than 6 years. I don't believe for a moment the "protective covering" on tires sitting around at a shop awaiting a sale. There was an espose´ on 60 Minutes recently of a family who bought old but NEW tires from a guy and they wound up falling apart,--age was the factor. They lost a son in an accident,--directly attributable to the older aged tires.

As tire technology evolves it is often very difficult to keep four of the same type on the car when you're replacing as I do, 2:1. It's important, however.

Quick Reply: replace just rear tires or all 4?