Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first DIY oil change -- advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Well, almost all of it.

A few follow-up questions:

Will I really need to remove that oil tube?

If so, do I really need to replace the o-rings?

Pelican sent me one crush ring. Do I need a second one for the oil tank?

Does the engine oil filter require a specialize wrench?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
Does anyone have a "foolproof" way of identifying this bolt:
Thanks!
The 1st photo shows the oil tank drain plug removed:
2nd photo is the oil tank drain plug installed and tightened to 40 ft lb of torque
3rd photo is the elusive engine drain plug - just unbolt the drain plug to drain the oil from the crank case.
When complete replace the washer and tighten the drain plug at 40 ft lb of torque.

Thanks to the Photo Contribution by Jeff Chan at http://p-car.com/diy/changeoil/
Attached Images    
Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to find an oil filter wrench that fits. I think mine came from wal mart. I take the oil line off. Gives a much straiter shot at the engine filter.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't need to remove the tube as per my post below. You can see for yourself once you look up at the filter and the path down to get it out. I bought one of those cheapo three prong filters that gets tight as you turn it. It goes onto the end of a 3/8 ratchet and extension.

I used 2 seal rings. One is for the case drain plug and one for the tank drain plug. The DIY was very useful for reference except for the oil tube removal.

I used Mike's DME removal tip and it works well for priming the engine.

Take seriously the advice about slow filling the oil. It gets very very slow and it is easy to overflow the tube.

All in all it is not hard but a bit more involved than oil changes on other cars. Just get in there and do it. Just run through a checklist before you start it up. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did mine this weekend. While I had watched (and helped kinda) while a friend had done mine before I felt pretty confident. We had done it on a lift and I did mine on jack stands which gives you a whole new appreciation for a four point lift.

Honestly, it was a PITA because I mistakenly assumed I could get in down in a couple hours. Took me way too long to do everything including getting the car up on all four jack stands because it was my first time. It will go much faster next time.

I used crush washers on both plugs. I tried to get the small filter off without removing the return line and gave up and removed it. Next time I won't have to do that because I order the correct filter removal cap/tool.

http://chadstoolbox.com/index.asp?Pa...D&ProdID=14846

Like others have said...you will be fine, its no big deal, just have patience (which I have none of).
Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to remove any drain plug, recommend replacing the washers that go with it (whether it be rubber or metal).

Don't need to remove the return line at all, I've never had to. Just remove the orange ducting that is directly beneath the engine filter. Get a tool similar to this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+filter+wrench

It is small enough in profile that you can work it onto the filter through the awkward spacing, add a 3/8" drive extension with a ratchet and it's a piece of cake.

When draining the engine oil vs. oil tank oil, use some kind of a deflector... I just fold up the oil filter box... it will save you some clean up time. When you release the engine oil plug, oil will gush sideways onto the ducting and whatever else that may in it's path.

The first time you attempt the oil change, it will seem cumbersome and difficult because it is unfamiliar and it will take some time because you will be extra careful not to screw things up. But, it will get easier. And, there is always satisfaction in working on something yourself, especially if you enjoy the experience of owning one of these cars. Good luck and get back to us on how it went.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:35 AM
alcanada
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my first oil change 3 months ago.

You will need a special wrench to loosen the small oil filter if you don't plan on removing the oil return line.

I used 2 crush rings although Pelican only sent one.

If you don't remove the return line, plug the air vent with newpapar after you remove the orange hose because it's easy to drop oil into the vent when you remove the old filter.

As mentioned by others, fill the oil very SLOWLY. I made a mess and had to clean it up.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: first DIY oil change -- advice?