993 Forum 1995-1998

Valve Job pricing assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Job pricing assist

My mechanic has spent the last two weeks soaking my SAI passages with carb cleaner etc. to little avail, and (at 141k miles) it looks like a top end job is in my near future. So time to research my options. My tech says it normally runs around $8k - But he'll do mine for around $6k. I recall reading about a well-known guy somewhere in the New England area that'll do it for $3K - which sounds perhaps too good to be true. Search function here is excruciatingly crap lately and I can't find any reference to it, but does anyone with a better memory than I recall info that fits that description? Any help (that might save me $3k) would be much appreciated!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

don't 3k was the total..pm vjd3, it's his guy ur talking about.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Matt,

If I might add,.......

Having done a few of these,........ $6K is a good deal for a proper job. Naturally, labor rates vary widely so that needs to be factored but knowing what I know about this process, I get suspicious about what kind of a job is done for $3K.

JHMO, of course.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
My mechanic has spent the last two weeks soaking my SAI passages with carb cleaner etc. to little avail, and (at 141k miles) it looks like a top end job is in my near future. So time to research my options. My tech says it normally runs around $8k - But he'll do mine for around $6k. I recall reading about a well-known guy somewhere in the New England area that'll do it for $3K - which sounds perhaps too good to be true. Search function here is excruciatingly crap lately and I can't find any reference to it, but does anyone with a better memory than I recall info that fits that description? Any help (that might save me $3k) would be much appreciated!
Exotech in Plaistow, NH (Mark Nadler) can knock it out for $3500~ assuming there are no other issues. He did my 993 which was VJD3's old car and if I'm not mistaken he did Vic's current 993. I have been delighted with the work that Mark has done for me. While location will not roll your socks up and down, he knows what he is doing. He's about a 2.5 hour drive from you and well worth the trip.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Thanks Trintony - I think you are right. I PMd Vic.

- Steve, I agree, $3k sounds too good to be good. My tech says it's a 40 hour job, which equals $3600+/- before paying for heads re-machining, new guides, rings, seals etc...

He said it would normally run $8k-9K but would do it for $6K because I am such a likeable guy As you know, my income is derived almost solely from the newspaper business so I am looking for the best deal I can squeeze without compromisng quality.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:33 PM
helmet155
Pro

What is your oil consumption like?

You could try the bass guitar string method...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by helmet155
What is your oil consumption like?
It's not bad...2-3k miles to a quart, but I have a few noisy valves, so I imagine oil consumption will gradually increase if I continue to drive without doing the top end.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Exotech in Plaistow, NH (Mark Nadler) can knock it out for $3500~ assuming there are no other issues. He did my 993 which was VJD3's old car and if I'm not mistaken he did Vic's current 993. I have been delighted with the work that Mark has done for me. While location will not roll your socks up and down, he knows what he is doing. He's about a 2.5 hour drive from you and well worth the trip.
Yes, he did his current.....

And how far from MD, since I may need it in few years? if I don't sell before..
Old 03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

One more vote for Mark Nadler and Exotech. It has been almost 5 years 12,000 miles. Cal smog test numbers are great. I think I had 27hrs labor. + parts.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:51 PM
RL Technical Advisor

It's not bad...2-3k miles to a quart, but I have a few noisy valves, so I imagine oil consumption will gradually increase if I continue to drive without doing the top end.
2-3K to a quart is very good. Normally, we don't recommend a top-end until oil consumption reaches 800 miles/qt.

I would investigate the source of the valve noise and see if its due to lifters, worn rockers, or valve guides before I did anything.

I'd also recommend a leakdown test before committing to installing new rings. You may only need guides and perhaps, exhaust valves.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How do you suggest measuring oil consumption when it is also tracked? I don't get more than about 500 miles between track days these days, so oil consumption is a bit tricky to measure. I'm at almost 130k mi and regularly DE, so starting to wonder...
Old 03-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Steve, I have a CEL with blocked SAI ports, so can't get past emissions testing, otherwise I'd leave well alone until the car started using more oil. I have replaced exhaust lifters, so I'm sure the noise I'm hearing is exhaust guides. I have a few oil leaks, so was thinking of maybe dropping the engine anyway for some resealing work...And you know the drill: if it's sitting on the bench anyway...

Otherwise, the car runs exquisitely.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
2-3K to a quart is very good. Normally, we don't recommend a top-end until oil consumption reaches 800 miles/qt.

I would investigate the source of the valve noise and see if its due to lifters, worn rockers, or valve guides before I did anything.

I'd also recommend a leakdown test before committing to installing new rings. You may only need guides and perhaps, exhaust valves.
Sounds like pretty good advice. A few questions to help me learn about our beloved 993 engines...If your valve guides cause noise would your oil consumption not be horrible with that kind of clearance? Out of curiosity, how do 993 engines take to new rings without honing? My understanding is that the cylinders can't be re-honed due to their hardness. I might be misguided here (no pun intended) Just curious and trying to learn a few things.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Steve, I have a CEL with blocked SAI ports, so can't get past emissions testing, otherwise I'd leave well alone until the car started using more oil. I have replaced exhaust lifters, so I'm sure the noise I'm hearing is exhaust guides. I have a few oil leaks, so was thinking of maybe dropping the engine anyway for some resealing work...And you know the drill: if it's sitting on the bench anyway...

Otherwise, the car runs exquisitely.

Hi Matt,

Understood about the SAI passages. We enlarge these during head servicing to help prevent recurrance (along with using our own guides).

Be careful about installing new rings as oftentimes, they fail to seat properly in original cylinders due to improper preparation and cylinder ovality. Thats why I recommended a leakdown to see if yours are still good.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:49 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

As I recall, you're not going to see the oil consumption that you would if it were the intake guides. IMHO, echoing what Steve W. said, your engine doesn't seem to be that far gone. I'd certainly try the guitar string/rotor-rooter method on the SAI system b4 committing to an engine pull.

Quick Reply: Valve Job pricing assist