993 Forum 1995-1998

Center Caps Refurbishing

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Center Caps Refurbishing

I recently picked-up a set of 7 & 9 x 17" Cup II wheels in pretty good shape except for some minor curb & face-down-ground rash on the rears. Included with the wheels were four center caps, part #993.361.303.07, which cleaned-up surprising well, and exhibit only slight fading and discoloration:

My problem is that none of these center caps firmly affix to the Cup II wheels. I even tried them on D-90 & new Cayman wheels, with the same result. When I received the center caps from the previous owner, several had tape on the plastic retaining prongs, which worked somewhat, but which probably made the plastic yield a little further when installed over time. I don't want that half-a$$ fix going forward, if I can help it. The prongs have no discernible damage like cracks, or evidence of repair:

Anyone have a fix for the retaining prongs, or are they just plumb worn out?

-------- revised 3/10/09:

After additional cleaning of the wheels and inspection, I discovered the prong surface responsible for engagement is as indicated below on the bottom prong in Orange. For a permanent fix, how about building-up theses prong surfaces by gluing a rub resistant film (Mylar maybe?) in the shape of a right-angle "hat", i.e. "^", as depicted on the top prong?

Last edited by slips2; 11-27-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not bother with the epoxy treatment. I had a similar issue and just used a dab of RTV silicone on the prongs to provide a secure fit ... easily removable for tire changes ...
Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 AM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sory to HJ..but what did u use to clean them up?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

FlatSix911,
Thanks for the RTV silicone suggestion, hadn't thought of that, might work for me. How's the silicone adhesion to the plastic? Do you have to re-apply after each removal?

993C4Smontreal,
The crests had significant scratches and the silver had only slight scratches, so I used a small dab of rubbing compound on the clear-coat over the crests, followed by Meguiar's polishing glaze over both sections. The rubbing compound and polishing glaze are both clear-coat safe. Scratches all gone.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

I used aluminum tape for a quick fix and that has held up so far.

Good luck,
Pete
Old 03-10-2009, 11:34 AM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slips2
FlatSix911,
Thanks for the RTV silicone suggestion, hadn't thought of that, might work for me. How's the silicone adhesion to the plastic? Do you have to re-apply after each removal?

993C4Smontreal,
The crests had significant scratches and the silver had only slight scratches, so I used a small dab of rubbing compound on the clear-coat over the crests, followed by Meguiar's polishing glaze over both sections. The rubbing compound and polishing glaze are both clear-coat safe. Scratches all gone.
thnx...will try it this summer!

Quick Reply: Center Caps Refurbishing