Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - For the Audi S4 Owners Out There

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm glad not everyone has had a bad experience with Audis.

I considered the A4, but frankly it isn't much of a performance upgrade from my 325is.
E55 would be tempting, but no manual trans.
E39 M5s all suffer bad Vanos units (approx $1500 per bank) and clutches that are not up to 400hp
E39 540s aren't much better - intake gaskets, cats, cooling issues (this is why I bought my wife's 530i instead)

No car is perfect, but it better be special if it requires extensive maintance.

I've become just another jaded Porsche owner. These cars have ruined me
Old 03-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Wow, I think you guys may have talked me out of it. While i do all my own work, the last thing I need is a labor intensive DD. Since I don't need 4wd, perhaps a better choice (though still expensive to maintain) is an E39 M5.

In the end, I'll probably keep driving my old E30 and go back to the 996TT plan
Most of the comments have been on the older, twin turbo S4. And based on everything I have read they are pretty accurate. The V8 model is a different kettle of fish. We had one, sold it, and that ranks as one of our biggest automotive mistakes of all time.

The fit and finish is excellent, probably the best we have owned. It is very comfortable around town or on the road. Plenty of room for 4 adults and all their stuff.

And the engine makes GREAT noises. . . The six speed is the best I have used (makes my 993 seem like older Nissan). Zero issues in 2 years / 40k miles.

The MPG is not great, maybe 24 on the highway if you use cruise and stay under 80 MPH. Seemed hard on tires, had to change at 25k miles.

All in all the S4 is a great car, clearly one of the top 5 we have owned. Don't let the reputation of a different model keep you from at least taking a hard look at the V8.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a B5 S4 and B6 S4. The B5 had the turbos and the B6 has the v8. I traded my B5 in for a B6 because I was worried about the turbos going bad after warranty. I put a brand new S4 Avant with the V8 figuring I'd have no issues.

18k miles later I lost my first engine. Audi replaced the block with a newer unit. Was told the original motor was #1172 out of 1200 faulty engines. Yea, they knew about it but didn't figure to say anything to anybody unless the engine went bad. Well, mine did.

So, with a new engine I went about enjoying my S4. Then, about 25k miles later I lost the 2nd gear in my tranny. The detent was sloppy and wouldn't hold the gear. Was told it wasn't Audi's problem - that it was my problem - and Audi was not going to fix it. I went around and around with Audi for a few months, driving the car everyday in the meantime skipping from 1st to 3rd gear. (car had good torque) Then, 28k miles after my first blown engine the second one suffered a failure. Same as the first - number 3 cylinder exhaust valve went bad (one of them). This time the valve spring broke completely and the piston was hitting the valvetrain. Audi didn't want to fix that either.

I did find a tranny and engine from a salvage in Canada. I no longer have the car. Left me with the worst, foul taste in my mouth re: Audi of America. My dealership did what they could.

I went out and bought a car that nobody could tell me I "drove too fast". Welcome to the pcar world.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
The MPG is not great, maybe 24 on the highway if you use cruise and stay under 80 MPH.
I have never been able to get even 20 on the highway, even when driving 70 and trying to drive economically. Sixth gear is WAY too short.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I was the lucky owner of the Audi S4 w/ a ton of problems.

My car spent at least a week at the dealership every month. One time it was at HBL Audi for a month because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with my car. I hate both Audi America and I ABSOLUTELY HATE HBL of Tyson's corner. I could rant for hours about that worthless dealership.

3 sets of turbos, endless diverter valves, O2 sensers, leaking fuel injectors, starters, alternators- all with less than 40k miles on the car.

44K miles and outer tie rods shot. Not under warranty.

50K miles O2 sensors again and the cat was clogged (under warranty). 1 week later CEL-- faulty O2 sensor. Alarm stopped working. Replaced the ECU and two new keys were programed. The Bose sound system is great however, the drivers side rear speaker blew twice. I don't listen to loud music all the time. The system also had a gremlin. The head unit will flash in the blink of the eye and then reset the bass, tre, and mid settings to high. Audi never figured that out.

60k miles CEL throttle body boot split. 60K mile tuneup. Discovered that I was leaking antifreeze. New head gasket. Oh Mr. Harris while we're in there we should do the timing chain...your belt has a lot of play. Gee, sure here is another couple grand. There is more, but those were some of the major issues off the top of my head.

Worst/best day. Tuesday July 12, 2004 on my way to work I stopped to get gas 3 blocks from my house. After fill up turn the key...nothing dead as a door nail. WTF I have an important meeting. Call up Audi roadside (Audi roadside was pretty great) 90 minutes later.
Car gets towed to Audi I get a rental and head to work. Call around noon Mr. Harris we found the problem it's your Alt. and you have a bad cell in your batt. AGAIN! Ok fix the Alt. several hundred bucks later. I pick up the car have them jump start the car due to the bad batt. cell drive my *** home and clean the car out. Drove to the closest Carmax and sold that f'n pile of ****! That same week the brake sensor light came on because I had just replaced all the pads and rotors a month ago. Plus, the tie rods were shot again. Carmax gave me 13K for it. I paid well over 40K in 2001, what a waste of money.

I will NEVER own another Audi. I'm also not the only one that has had many issues with them.

I also never tracked that car. I was scared it would break.

Last work order:
Customer states check engine light on
BOSCH/IGN MODUL/BERU/IGN COILS/SMI/FUIL INJECTOR
FAULT CODE 16684, 16685, 16686, 16687
PERFORMED FAULT TEST 5051
CHECKED COMPRESSION FOR CYLINDER # 1,2, AND3
REPL IGN COILS FOR CYLINDER 1, 2, AND 3
REPL FUEL INJECTOR FOR CYLINDER 1,2 AND 3
REPL IGN CONTROL MODUL FOR BANK 1

C?S engine noisy
water pump
FW 58 minutes Mech DIAD found noisy water pump
R/I front bumper cover
move lock carrier into service position
R/I ribbed belt
REPL Timing belt (water on timing belt)
REPL waterpump and Thermostat

Parts:
HALLSENDER
CONTROLUNIT
IGN COIL
CONNECTOR
INJECTOR
TOOTH BELT
TENSROLLER
TENSROLLER
WATER PUMP
A/FRZ 1 GAL
THERMOSTAT
SEAL

Last edited by Paddy; 02-17-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: OT - For the Audi S4 Owners Out There