Somewhat OT: Can anyone recommend a tire changer in Colorado Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Somewhat OT: Can anyone recommend a tire changer in Colorado Springs

Anyone know of a competent tire changer in the Springs that can mount and dismount tires for OEM 18" wheels without buggering them up? I tried the dealer already....not so good.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Les Schawb when I was there visiting with my BMW and had an issue with 17s. I just used them here in Seattle to repair a flat in the 993 with the Kinesis wheels without an issue.

Now that the kids are buying great big 20 inch or 22 inch wheels, the issue is less of a hassle for us with 18s.

I just Googled Colorado Springs and the Les Schawb was up on Barnes. Oh, BTW, they used torque sticks to retorque the wheels.

Maybe there are others but I had a good experience there.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are two that Tirerack lists.
Both use the Hunter Road Force balancer - the best method IMHO.

REX TIRE INC., COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80905
CONCOURS CARS, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80904
Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a contact for a specific shop in the Springs but I will offer some advice/experience mounting nice wheels.

I usually work with the Discount Tire shop in Boulder. They have a "Guy" on staff who they use to mount high end wheels. Our wheels are not a whole lot different than other nice wheels. What it takes to do the job right is someone who will be careful and take their time. Most reputable tire shops will have a "guy". Talk with the shop manager and quiz him about mounting nice wheels. If the manager starts selling you or starts blowing smoke move on.

I alway watch the guy mount and balance my wheels. It doesn't hurt to tip the "guy" for being careful and doing a good job. Just my experience.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
helmet155
Pro

I will say this in general...to add to others input.

Check www.gsp9700.com - That is Hunter's website to locate a road force balance machine - thought of as the best in the business.

I work for an OEM and this is what we use, granted we are not super high end but these machines work.

Usually tire businesses that have a GSP9700 are fully trained due to Hunter's field staff being the best in the business.

No affiliation, just my experience working for multiple OEMs.

-Brett
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

The Les Schwab must have closed, as their store locator says my closest one is in Utah.

I agree on the road force balancing, although I have previously had it done at the dealer with good results.

I'm not sure how The Tire Rack selects installers....a marketing/distribution arrangement?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:16 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

and thanks for the suggestions so far!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Motobob
Instructor

After talking with the C Springs Porsche dealership yesterday on this very subject and then with a couple of other places around town, I decided to go with the Porsche dealer in a few weeks. Incidently, the Porsche dealership prices on the tires I wanted were exactly what Tire Rack's prices were...except they have to charge tax. My service assistant did say I could buy the tires from TIRE Rack and save the tax and they would mount and balance. I decided to stick with the dealer as they guarentee me "perfect results" ..their words not mine.

Bob C Springs, CO
Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob. I have had good service there. William seems to be an outstanding tech. He did the PPI on my TT as well as the routine services. My only issue is that I did not get "perfect" results in terms of mounting the tires without damaging the paint on the wheel lips. Good to know on the tire prices, however.

I just spoke to Rex and I am going to give them a try.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Motobob
Instructor

It would probably be beneficial to mention your previous exprience and ask yr wheels come back in same condition when you drove them in... good luck and let me know results. I am getting mine done in about 2 weeks. Bob
Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Motobob
It would probably be beneficial to mention your previous exprience and ask yr wheels come back in same condition when you drove them in... good luck and let me know results. I am getting mine done in about 2 weeks. Bob
I used Rex Tire on W. Colorado. The results were okay, but not "perfect." They seem to have the potential to do it right, however. The review:

Very clean and orderly shop. You can watch them do the work from the window. They have good equipment, including the Hunter GSP9700 mentioned above and a touchless tire changing machine. When I asked about "how they did it" they did not hesitate to take me out into the shop to show me how it worked.

I only had one wheel worked on. It sustained a few small nicks. In hindsight, I think this was partially my fault as I could have better followed the advice above. I called and spoke to a knowledgeble person who understood what I had and what need to be done. When I unloaded the tire from the vehicle an employee came out to meet me and immediately took off with the wheel. I went inside to find the guy I spoke to on the phone but he was out in the shop for a few minutes apparently. When I turned around and looked out the window the first guy already had the bead broken and was attempting to lever the tire off the wheel with a tire iron! Soon he got some assistance, but I'm pretting sure this was where the nicks in the paint came from. I obviously did not get "the guy" but instead the first guy available. I didn't get too wrapped around the axle about it since this was also the wheel the dealer took a big chip out of.

Bottom line is that I don't think that they performed a whole lot better than the local dealer. They will patch a tire, however, which the dealer will not. I know, this is not the best practice. But it is on my DD and it was a nail in the tread of a nearly new SO2A which I didn't want to replace already. I will try them once more with more specific instruction. If the results are not what I'm looking for I'll try Concours next.

Quick Reply: Somewhat OT: Can anyone recommend a tire changer in Colorado Springs