993 Forum 1995-1998

Headlight washer removal advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Headlight washer removal advice

I am working on the car and it will be going to the paint shop here in a few weeks. I am going to do the headlight washer delete and had a few questions:

1. Is there a single pump for the headlight washers?
2. If there is a pump for the headlight washers do I remove it and close a line off?
3.Do I just cap of the line once the washer is removed?
4. Is the headlight washer on the same system as the windshield washer?

Believe it or not I have never used the windshield washers or headlight washers on a 993. The manual is with the car and not here so I hve no reference.

I did a search, oh wait, I tried to do a search

Mike
Old 02-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

THe headlight washer pump (1 of 2) is on the right: to deactivate, unclip the top harness, and remove the hoses. You can snip off an inch or so of hose, plug one end with a bolt, and attach to the pump. If the windshield washers ever die, swap pumps .

Apply masking tape under the front of the washer nozzle, and slide a thin blade screwdriver over this & under the front lip of the nozzle ..... after you have pushed beyond the point of good judgement, the nozzle will release with a 'crack'!
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Garth:

Thanks a ton. Is the windshield washer pump in a different location? Are you saying that in the pic there are 2 healight washer pumps? If there are 2 H/L washer pumps is there one behind each headlamp? Sorry for the questions the car is not here so I can't look. The pic you posted of the driver's side is great. The instructions are great as well. TIA

Mike
Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Garth:

Thanks a ton. Is the windshield washer pump in a different location? Are you saying that in the pic there are 2 healight washer pumps? If there are 2 H/L washer pumps is there one behind each headlamp? Sorry for the questions the car is not here so I can't look. The pic you posted of the driver's side is great. The instructions are great as well. TIA

Mike
The windshield washer pump is sitting slightly lower .... seen to the immediate left: there are only the two pumps, one for each of the two functions. there they sit, side by side, plugged via grommets into the one reservoir. For a quick look, lift & ratchet the headlight bar to remove the left light assembly.

For todays trivia .... why does the headlight washer pump sit higher than the other?
(( my guess is that some safety engineer wisely decided that in the priority of things, the last dregs of fluid be available for the windshield ))
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Just a thought, get rid of the big tank and get a RS washer reservoir and mounting bracket. Swap the washer pump to the new tank. Drill a large hole in the top of the new tank for the level sensor, some extra wire and hose to reach the new location. The OEM trunk carpeting does fit over the new tank. Small and compact as compared to the stock tank. This is what we did on my car. By the way, my body man welded close the headlight spray nozzles... no putty filler that could fall out used here.

Good luck and enjoy the 'clean' lines!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arena993, are you running HID lights, if so there may be an issue. Over here(Euro) HID installations must have height adjustment and lenses wash.

Then again in Kentucky it could be completely irrelevant..
Old 07-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I am getting the cab ready for some "paint correction". I got the front bumper off and the headlights out without issue. Those headlight nozzles were a little tricky. I found a lot of helpful post and this one from nine years ago helped. What I never could find was a photo of the fender with the nozzle removed or the nozzle itself. So, I figured I would add them here; for the next Rennlister that uses the search function!

Also, the nozzles can be removed by tuning them slightly clockwise (say a 1/4 inch) to line up the barb with the cutout on the fender. There is no clip that hold it on and it is impossible to see anything from under the fender as it is double walled. Even after getting the barb lined up I had to give a push from behind. I would guess you could get a thin plastic trim removal tool under it to pop it out without harming the paint.

Now my dilemma is whether to delete the nozzles or not. This is the perfect time to do it.... but, I am trying to keep the 993 somewhat stock.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:04 AM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Washer delete

Old 08-01-2018, 01:09 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice! Can you take another shot from farther back?
Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteCab
Where did you source that? Looks great. Would do when I get around to doing euro turbo bumper.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:42 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bumper plugs
Old 03-31-2020, 03:43 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

The bumper plug is ok, but what about some tinning over that hole to eliminate any problems in the future. I image any bondo or non metal will come back to haunt.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:04 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I have some custom machined plugs that have a threaded backing to secure them on the fender en-route... once I get them installed will share
The following users liked this post:
paulkromz (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 04:21 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I suppose you still might want to plug that hose to prevent drying out of the pump internals, but if you remove Relay #43 (at least that's the H/L washer relay in my '96) you won't need to worry about accidentally activating the pump by hitting the stalk.

I did this for a different reason - so I could use that switch to operate a Homelink garage door opener mounted in the frunk.

Ron
Old 03-31-2020, 06:18 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
I have some custom machined plugs that have a threaded backing to secure them on the fender en-route... once I get them installed will share
Is it similar to this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-996...AAAOSw~otWgSub

Quick Reply: Headlight washer removal advice