Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Caliper refinishing (paint), preferably in Chicago area??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper refinishing (paint), preferably in Chicago area??

Hi chaps!

Just bought a set of front 993TT Big Red Calipers from a fellow RLer. The calipers are mechanically sound but needs an exterior refinish. I've read lot's of DIYs on this and it doesn't seem too difficult to do. However, I will need to order a bunch of stuff on ebay like paint, decals(stencils), brush etc and ship over to Sweden. Probably have to have them sandblasted as well which is also time consuming. I'm prepared to pay up and have them fixed in the states before the go to their new home if I can find a good shop or person who can do this for me. I read a bunch of old posts and also sent PM to Chris Walrod (although he is in Cal) but unfortunately he doesn't do work like this anymore.

Any leads? Preferably in the Chicago area since that's where the calipers are right now. Closeby states are fine as well. If you know a good shop that can do this for a reasonable price or if you are going to DIY your own and can do an extra two calipers (in red) at my expense, please let me know.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Calipers

Viggo: Got my decals from http://www.xenonmods.com/newallcaliperdecals.htm

In my experience (limited) the specific paint is somewhat less important than the proper prep and application. You can get G2 Caliper Paint from Tire rack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRiyubFm8vc

The G2 is good BUT (big BUT) you will want to do all calipers at once because of the reactor. For example, the Duplicolor paint has a hardener in it (supposedly). Anyway, I got the G2 but didn't want to (a) remove the calipers, or (b) put the car on 4 jackstands; so I used the Duplicolor (which is probably not as good).

I clear coated the calipers after putting on the decals.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is an easy DIY. Use VHT high temp paint (red/yellow + clear), mulitiple coats no need to sandblast. Looks as new.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

I used the duplicolor brand... light sanding, 4 or 5 coats of paint then 4 or five coats of clear. Still look great after 2 or three years..
Old 02-16-2009, 10:11 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I used duplicolor on the 964 at the beginning of last summer and they still look like I just did them. I'll use the same on the 993 when I get a chance.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Just though some might want to know: I did both our MINI Cooper S calipers in red using the G2 kits. My wife doesn't track hers and the paint has held up quite well after 2 years. I run 8-10 DE events per year in mine using Hawk HT10 pads up front. As a result of the heat, my calipers have lost their brilliant color somewhat.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Default DIY it is

Thanks guys, you convinced me to go the DIY-route . I hope sanding will be enough, it is great not having to blast the calipers. Now for the follow-up questions:

Originally Posted by verboten
Use VHT high temp paint (red/yellow + clear), mulitiple coats no need to sandblast. Looks as new.
Do you know of a source that sells VHT paint and is prepared to ship internationally? I tried a few but no reply so far. Maybe even a ROW source? Is any kind of clearcoat suitable or do you need a special kind of clear? I take it that you first apply the VHT (in multiple layers) and then apply multiple layers of clear, right? Is one can of VHT enough for two calipers or do I need more?

The main problem is that noone is prepared to ship a spray can with paint overseas.. So I'll need to find a ROW source that sells suitable red caliper paint.. anyone??

Originally Posted by Raptor
Viggo: Got my decals from http://www.xenonmods.com/newallcaliperdecals.htm

In my experience (limited) the specific paint is somewhat less important than the proper prep and application. You can get G2 Caliper Paint from Tire rack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRiyubFm8vc

The G2 is good BUT (big BUT) you will want to do all calipers at once because of the reactor. For example, the Duplicolor paint has a hardener in it (supposedly). Anyway, I got the G2 but didn't want to (a) remove the calipers, or (b) put the car on 4 jackstands; so I used the Duplicolor (which is probably not as good).

I clear coated the calipers after putting on the decals.
Just processed my order, thanks!

I think I'll try the VHT paint over the G2 and Duplicolor.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

I'm undergoing the same project on a set of Brembo calipers...Are these DIY solutions going to last?

Like the OP, I was considering disassembling the calipers (Still trying to figure out what all needs to be removed) and blasting the calipers and having them powdercoated or painted with a hard, long-lasting paint.

What are the thoughts? I don't want to have to touch these again after I do this!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Benton
Drifting

Make sure you use some VHT High Temp clearcoat, or else the paint will fade in a few years time. I cleared my race car calipers and after about 5 hard track days (only painted about a year ago though) they look as good as new, but my 993 calipers (not clearcoated) I did about 4 years ago started to lose their luster after two years or less.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red
Make sure you use some VHT High Temp clearcoat, or else the paint will fade in a few years time. I cleared my race car calipers and after about 5 hard track days (only painted about a year ago though) they look as good as new, but my 993 calipers (not clearcoated) I did about 4 years ago started to lose their luster after two years or less.

Yeah, I appreciate the tip...I'll definitely do that.

After further investigation, I might end up just chemically remove the paint, as opposed to the blasting route. Also, it sounds like VHT's product is pretty durable...That may be the direction to go.

What kind of life expectancy do these dust seals/etc. have on these Brembo calipers? I've got a set off of an E31 8-series, that I'm currently restoring.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know a good ROW source for red caliper paint (preferably spray)? What did you ROW guys use? Seems difficult to source red caliper paint from the states due to shipping issues.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:49 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I found high temp black, but couldn't find clear...anyone know where to get that?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Originally Posted by JPS
I found high temp black, but couldn't find clear...anyone know where to get that?
I've had an equally difficult time getting ahold of both the VHT caliper paint/clear via a few local shops for the same reason. Basically, if they don't have it in stock, they're not willing to order it unless you're going to buy a whole case (6 cans) of each. VHT, or their distributors, won't sell cans individually....They'll only sell on as a case.

If anybody has any luck finding this stuff, let me know! Or, I'd be willing to go in with some guys if 2-3 of us want to pick some of this stuff up from VHT.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got VHT at Auto Zone years ago, but they don't carry it anymore. I just ordered black, yellow, and clear yesterday from California custom Coatings for $7 and some change each. Here's a pic after 2 years and lot's of track days. I got the labels from a place called xenonmods or something like that.

I sanded, cleaned, painted 4-5 coats of yellow, stickers, several coats of clear, and baked in the oven at 300 for 30 min. the rubber plugs I used to keep the brake fluid in lasted for 29 minutes......
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Wow Bob that's very impressive.. Looks like it has held up VERY well..

I sourced VHT High temp red and clear from ebay.co.uk. I was able to purchase one can of each. Price was very reasonable. Shipping was expensive (ground) and will take forever because they won't ship spray cans with airfreight. I havn't received the stuff yet but I'll keep my fingers crossed .

Quick Reply: Caliper refinishing (paint), preferably in Chicago area??