Sponsored by:

Sunset vs Pelican

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wpriller
When I lived in Oakland back in the early 80's I was buying most of my parts from Garretson Enterprises in Mt. View, where Bob Garretson & Bruce Anderson ran the shop. I also used Automotion at the time who was a big supplier of Porsche parts in the Bay Area in the early 80's. If I needed used parts I always went to EASY in Emeryville..
Too funny. A few of us still around. Did you know the Greens started Automotion out of their garage in the Oakland hills, probably not 6-7 miles from where my butt is now parked? Then they got "big" and turned it into a real business. Garretson sure didn't last long, all things considered.

The other name out there is Performance Products. The original owner, Dick Lovell, had a daughter who followed in his footsteps and was my salesperson at Worldwide for many years. As most would, I thought because I was the new customer that I got assigned "the girl" in sales. Then I found out she was the lifelong Porsche expert! She's probably still working there.

But all those places were buying from Worldwide, then selling retail over the counter. They could make their cut, and still be way below what the "book markup" import auto parts stores would sell for.

Jim's still running EASY, but at some point Emeryville will probably want to totally redevelop that street. Just like over in San Leandro, there's a smog shop/quick lube that's been there for 25+ years the city wants to kill off with eminent domain......provides employment for 8-9 guys.......all to widen an intersection that is not at all congested.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ljugete
In regards to 993 front and rear struts (had bought OEM in past and lasted < 2 years), I bought mine from them (lifetime guarantee on thier premium struts). They are about $39.99, but I got them on a sale for $27.99. I haven't had a problem for years.

I too use Sunset and have no complaints and believe they have the best prices and customer service. I haven't bought from Pelican yet (will compare in future). I've bought from Suncoast before and they could not match prices with Sunset!
Ok, now I found these at Zims Autotechnik:
Front Hood Strut, Lifetime Warranty (993.511.331.00.SL) made by Stabilus for $26.95 each:

http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/Front..._C2_4_993.html

Sounds like the best deal yet, especially if they last the life of the vehicle.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my front hood struts in Mar of 2003. I bought the OEM from Sunset for $30.59 a pair.
I noticed this weekend that once again the hood will not stay up on its own.
Maybe this time I will try aftermarket "lifetime shocks".
I hate replacing things twice on the same car.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

BTW, I've found these on Amazon and think they are worth investigating: http://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-4052...4899918&sr=8-1

These are fronts for 964s, but I believe that they are the same on 993s as well? http://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-4047...4899980&sr=1-8
Old 02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

I had a chance to talked to Jim a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for a Carrera oil cooler and we talked for a good while. I brought my 2nd 911 from Eiy Porsche Audi in Hayward back in 1980. When I lived in the Oakland Al Bauer was my mechanic. Jim informed me that Mr. Bauer is retired now, but they are skiing partners and close friends.

Originally Posted by race911
Too funny. A few of us still around. Did you know the Greens started Automotion out of their garage in the Oakland hills, probably not 6-7 miles from where my butt is now parked? Then they got "big" and turned it into a real business. Garretson sure didn't last long, all things considered.

The other name out there is Performance Products. The original owner, Dick Lovell, had a daughter who followed in his footsteps and was my salesperson at Worldwide for many years. As most would, I thought because I was the new customer that I got assigned "the girl" in sales. Then I found out she was the lifelong Porsche expert! She's probably still working there.

But all those places were buying from Worldwide, then selling retail over the counter. They could make their cut, and still be way below what the "book markup" import auto parts stores would sell for.

Jim's still running EASY, but at some point Emeryville will probably want to totally redevelop that street. Just like over in San Leandro, there's a smog shop/quick lube that's been there for 25+ years the city wants to kill off with eminent domain......provides employment for 8-9 guys.......all to widen an intersection that is not at all congested.

Last edited by wpriller; 02-18-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

I'm presently having the top and bottom end done on my engine, and majority of the parts that I needed came from Pelican Parts.. I found Pelican to have a great inventory and found the prices to be fair and competitive. I've also dealt with Autohaus in Arizona for a part that Pelican didn't have in stock, and they were thorough in getting the part to me, with the price being reasonable.

I've brought parts from Zims, Performance Prodructs, Sierra Madre Collection, but I always go back to Pelican when buying major parts, and I find their Customer Service to be excellent.

Last edited by wpriller; 02-17-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dudley
I hate replacing things twice on the same car.
Agreed. There are permanent, cheaper and lighter, if more hairshirt answers to this problem.

OEM RS front hood prop or www.seinesystems.com
Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooner
I have always gotten better pricing from Pelican for the exact same parts in a Porsche Box w/ Porsche Part number. Sometimes they have even come directly from the PCNA parts warehouse in Atlanta (in the case of some new plastic wheel well inserts).

I asked sunset how pelican can get parts from Porsche for the 993 cheaper than they could, and they had no explanation and weren't willing to price match either.
You live in Oregon so you don't get the Sunset (Cost + 15%) discount. If you lived out of state you would receive a huge discount compared to Pelican.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You always need to check the top three vendors before you order... not always does Pelican or Sunset or Vertex Auto have the best price... and you need to check the cost with shipping included...

Sometimes the cost of buying it at the local dealer is more inexpensive than any of the other alternatives, specially if you already have a good relationship with the parts dept guys. They can give you a good discount to offset the difference...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi everyone. Thanks for your support of Pelican! We try very hard to make the shopping experience the absolute best that it can be.

There's a couple of posts in here that have information that is slightly misleading. I will try to add some clarification, as the industry can be confusing.

- Pelican is a seller of both Genuine, OEM and Aftermarket parts for Porsches and BMWs. Genuine means that it comes sealed in a Porsche bog (or bag) with a Porsche sticker and is sold by Porsche. OEM means that the manufacturer of the part also made parts for the Porsche cars when they were new. Like a SACHS clutch kit - the SACHS clutch kit is the same as the Porsche Genuine clutch kit, except that the Porsche one comes in a Porsche box (and typically costs 2-3 times more). Stabilus is an OEM manufacturer to Porsche, and thus cars from the factory came with hood shocks that have Stabilus printed on them.

- Sunset Porsche is a Porsche dealer, which means that they only sell Genuine Porsche parts (to the best of my knowledge). We sell all the Genuine Porsche parts that are available from the dealer network, plus thousands of OEM parts, and thousands of Aftermarket parts. Pelican has the largest selection of parts available anywhere, and we aim to price them competitively. On specialty stuff that's only available from the dealer, Sunset is sometimes cheaper than us because they have direct access to the dealer network. However, as someone else pointed out, Pelican is often more competitive on Genuine items as well, as we have multiple sources for Genuine parts that may or may not be subjected to exchange rate differences.

- All Genuine parts carry a 2-year warranty from Porsche. In addition, almost all of the OEM parts that we sell carry a similar length warranty. You can compare and contrast brands, costs, and warranties on our site with our new "More Info" feature which we just installed last month. Here's the link that compares the Genuine Porsche hood shocks to the Stabilus ones: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-98)%2C%20each

This new feature allows you to check out the warranty information, Pelican quality rating, application data, manufacturer information, etc prior to ordering. There's even a section on there for product reviews, so that you can see what other purchasers of the product have had to say about it. We're still testing it and working out the bugs, so if you see anything weird, please let me know...

We also just implemented lower shipping rates for our customers - we now ship small items via First Class Mail ($2.95 selectable via the website). We realize that in these times, every dollar is tight, and there's no need to send more $$$ to FedEx if a small o-ring can fit into a padded envelope. We've been tweaking our shipping systems all month to get this "just right" so that we could lower shipping costs for everyone.

Thanks again everyone for your continued support. We understand that there are lots of choices out there, and we are constantly working to improve product, pricing, selection and quality for our customers.

-Wayne
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Cool

Those were excellent prices for the struts on Amazon. Yes, the 964 struts will fit on the 993 (both have many interchangable parts).

Wayne, thanks for the info. from Pelican (very interesting how you explained that - I will check Pelican out in the future).

Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by oh five
How much are we talking?
My mate lives in OC and will be here in a few months so he can bring them with him (you ought to see the prices here with the pacific paso)

Mick
They were 180....something each , with ship'g they were under 400 USD (up about 30 each from the last time I bought). But I called Friday and they showed up today (cross country), haven't opened the box yet, but if they're thr right ones, I am very pleased with service.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is my $0.02 regarding Pelican and Sunset.

I pretty much use Pelican exclusively for the reasons:

It is on line, I like to do all of my home work and get the part number. Just enter the part number in their site and click on add to cart. It is simple, parts always arrive on time and most of the time free shipping.

I don't need to talk to anyone, and if I really need to they are one phone call away and have always been very professional.

Last reason, Wayne is a great guy and I am always a sucker to help a great guy for a good cause.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 AM
bart1
Race Car

Good explaination from Wayne. I'll try pelican next time.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike - Frank, THANKS!

Right on, I ordered the front hood struts from Amazon $10.47 for the pair, no shipping or tax.

They fit! (Of course I may be complaining in six years about having to replace these as well.)

Quick Reply: Sunset vs Pelican