Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, suncoast is great too:
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ode=AllCarrera
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooner
I have always gotten better pricing from Pelican for the exact same parts in a Porsche Box w/ Porsche Part number. Sometimes they have even come directly from the PCNA parts warehouse in Atlanta (in the case of some new plastic wheel well inserts).

I asked sunset how pelican can get parts from Porsche for the 993 cheaper than they could, and they had no explanation and weren't willing to price match either.
That's not what I've found from my experience. I did a price check a couple of months ago of about 1/2 dozen parts from I got from Sunset and compared w/ Pelican all but 1 was cheaper from Sunset. Just my experience at that time, maybe Porsche's/Sunset's prices have gone up?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:15 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David A

Sunset is a ton cheaper than Suncoast on some things (e.g. Turbo S ducts), but Suncoast may be cheaper on some others.

A word of advice. The cheapest place to buy from is not always the best place to buy from. I have good report with a few vendors and they know me when I call and I have chosen them due to thier good reputation combined with my good experience with them.

Since we are dropping names like crazy in this thread: Sunset, Steve Weiner, Paragon Products. These are some I would highly recommend.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that Pelican seems to be cheaper on in stock parts, higher on special order.

Bob is really helpful at Sunset but I am starting to think I would rather pay more to help support the Pelican website and online ordering. They even let us buy and sell used/new parts on their own board. Plus Wayne has contributed back to the Porsche community with his books. All that has to be worth something.

For now I always check both before placing the order.

RT
Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, a little history on parts importers. Worldpac (formerly Worldwide Trading) of Hayward CA was started by (I think) 3 German guys who started direct importing Mercedes and VW parts about 40 years ago. (Memory can get fuzzy here, anyone feel free to correct me.) EVERYONE started buying from them, dealers included. And those dealers were freely installing those parts on customer cars. Probably nothing has changed on that end.

At some point Worldwide started setting up satellite warehouses around the country. Autohaus AZ is/was one of them. No idea who owns it now, but in the mid '80's Gunther was still in charge, and they were a stocking Worldwide warehouse. Pretty much had everything the mothership in Hayward had. Twice a day delivery to my shop, excellent prices. Delivery drivers were stopping by the dealers to drop off parts, too.

Then SSF came along, Hans Kopecky (?). Not sure when they started, but I always felt they were stronger in Porsche. I don't buy wholesale anymore as I don't have a shop, but I still know some of the guys there.

Price? Well, do your research and buy from who you feel most comfortable. Origin? As some have observed, lots of things NOT bought from the dealer still come from Porsche. Hans' old girlfriend, Liz.......can't remember her name now.........was a broker. You would not believe how cheap some of the stuff actually is.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
The company in CT is called FAP. I've bought a few parts from them in the past and bought one or two window switches from 993. One was defective, they've replaced it immediately and were very friendly while doing that. So, while not really recommending them, that's one option to try.
I need the same parts. Both front and rear.

I've never heard of FAP. Can anyone else recommend them, or warn against them? If not, I'll just order from Sunset.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Dave911G
Rennlist Member

I recall they used to advertise that all genuine Porsche parts come with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. If that's still the case it would be a good reason to get them from Sunset. I get everything from them, but since I'm local it's an easier choice thanks to the convenience and lack of shipping charges. I'm amazed at the obscure things they have in stock when I go in there to.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 AM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One vote for Pelican here. Currently replacing bumper and window seals. All parts were about the same price and shipping was free. Customer service at Sunset is amazing but Pelican eliminates me playing guess the part with their parts diagram.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLoo..._Main_Page.htm

I like supporting Wayne because he is an enthusiast like us, not to mention what he has brought to the Porsche community. The forum at Pelican is simply amazing and free. (He's also a sponsor of Rennlist) I may be wrong but I don't think the dealers mentioned above are sponsors.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Cool Performance Products (formerly, Automotion)

In regards to 993 front and rear struts (had bought OEM in past and lasted < 2 years), I bought mine from them (lifetime guarantee on thier premium struts). They are about $39.99, but I got them on a sale for $27.99. I haven't had a problem for years.

I too use Sunset and have no complaints and believe they have the best prices and customer service. I haven't bought from Pelican yet (will compare in future). I've bought from Suncoast before and they could not match prices with Sunset!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Prices have gone up recently. I have been using sunset for a number of years and depending on the parts the savings are considerable. When it comes to parts like wiper blades, hood shocks, things that can easily be purchased elsewhere you will pay more. They don't inventory hundreds like other places for common wear items. If you need M030 suspension parts, big reds, sunroof seals, steering racks etc and it has to be a factory part nobody can come close to sunset for price.

Don't waste your time with sunset for OEM hood shocks or wiper arms/blades when aftermarket ones are just as good for far less and 90% of the time are the same unit manufactured by the same company sans the Porsche part number. Try pricing a new set of Cup II's or other hard to find items and you will find them to be a lot cheaper than most any place else.

They have always been a pleasure to work with, although there are many items I would buy from Pelican or other places for convenience and prices on those items are usually comparable.

What is really scary is Bosch or other VW generic parts are used quite often on Porsche's. When I owned my 944 I had a number of parts that were very expensive for what they were. Pelican wasn't cheap, Sunset wasn't much better but cross referencing it to a VW part number came in at 20% of the cost from Sunset. They had VW part numbers and were the identical part with a sticker on it but the VW price was pennies on the dollar compared to the Porsche equivalent.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
993inNC
Race Car

For whatever its worth I just ordered from Suset, 2 new front rotors and they were WAY cheaper that Pelican (who has been a good source before). Sunset (with ship'g) even beat my local distributor!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
oh five
Track Day

Originally Posted by 993inNC
For whatever its worth I just ordered from Suset, 2 new front rotors and they were WAY cheaper that Pelican (who has been a good source before). Sunset (with ship'g) even beat my local distributor!
How much are we talking?
My mate lives in OC and will be here in a few months so he can bring them with him (you ought to see the prices here with the pacific paso)

Mick
Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
dcdude
Drifting

How about this? If the part is expensive, call 2 or 3 places. In CA, Pelican has a slight disadvantage due to sales tax. Amazon and Tire Rack, I believe, solved that with Reno, NV warehouses. I do like the fact that Pelican has online ordering.

I just got burned by my favorite M-B dealer in Anaheim. I ordered two oil filters and my shipping over a 50-mile distance was $19.75! Maybe it's marked up? Lesson: insist on an out the door price or don't order! I think Sunset has the same surprise! shipping cost process, but I never felt overcharged.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Try Zims for the struts, $20 & lifetime warranty.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:47 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

When I lived in Oakland back in the early 80's I was buying most of my parts from Garretson Enterprises in Mt. View, where Bob Garretson & Bruce Anderson ran the shop. I also used Automotion at the time who was a big supplier of Porsche parts in the Bay Area in the early 80's. If I needed used parts I always went to EASY in Emeryville..

Originally Posted by race911
OK, a little history on parts importers. Worldpac (formerly Worldwide Trading) of Hayward CA was started by (I think) 3 German guys who started direct importing Mercedes and VW parts about 40 years ago. (Memory can get fuzzy here, anyone feel free to correct me.) EVERYONE started buying from them, dealers included. And those dealers were freely installing those parts on customer cars. Probably nothing has changed on that end.

At some point Worldwide started setting up satellite warehouses around the country. Autohaus AZ is/was one of them. No idea who owns it now, but in the mid '80's Gunther was still in charge, and they were a stocking Worldwide warehouse. Pretty much had everything the mothership in Hayward had. Twice a day delivery to my shop, excellent prices. Delivery drivers were stopping by the dealers to drop off parts, too.

Then SSF came along, Hans Kopecky (?). Not sure when they started, but I always felt they were stronger in Porsche. I don't buy wholesale anymore as I don't have a shop, but I still know some of the guys there.

Price? Well, do your research and buy from who you feel most comfortable. Origin? As some have observed, lots of things NOT bought from the dealer still come from Porsche. Hans' old girlfriend, Liz.......can't remember her name now.........was a broker. You would not believe how cheap some of the stuff actually is.

Quick Reply: Sunset vs Pelican