Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:26 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Would love to see the set up with intercooler!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This looks like a fascinating car. You can't underestimate the effort after-market engineers were putting into the 993 in its day.

If the air intake is in the engine bay (cone filter visible to the left of the photo) then the turbo and intercooler can't be far away. That would suggest it could be an air-liquid i/c with the exchange at the front. Complex and heavy -- and not likely to develop 450hp. The normally aspirated engine started life between 270 and 280 hp. Porsche developed twin turbos and a beefy intercooler to achieve 400hp (a huge number in its day.) It's relatively easy to tweak the factory setup for an extra 50-100hp depending upon budget, but to turbo the normal 3.6 and achieve anywhere near a 50% gain would require some significant handiwork without being too picky about lag or longevity.

I've seen a low pressure boost system on cars like stock Corvettes -- the air intake and turbo reside at the back of the car then force air through intake tubes of a very small diameter (of the top of my head, I'd say an inch or inch an a half) that run back the full length of the car to the engine. This sounds like a recipe for nightmarish lag and boost run-on, but it does work. It relies upon some careful plumbing and the engine already having ample torque to provide drivable throttle response, then turbos build boost and the engine develops a steady ramp-up of power.

I don't know that there's any realistic way to boost enough without an intercooler to develope 400+HP -- there are ways, such as water injection or a spray on a captive i/c with a thermostat. Anything's possible. I imagine there's some plumbing there somewhere to use cold air-flow at the front of the car for cooling. Routing air from the engine bay to the nose and back isn't realistic, so I'm guessing it's an air-liquid i/c, which in itself will be interesting to see in a real application.

Looking forward to lots of detail photos, please.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
jorl
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The prev. owner have tried the car against a 993tt on a track. It crushed the 993tt.

Ill try to get some pictures next week.

993 3,6l Twinturbo conversion
Performance upgrades Porsche 911 Carrera (964-993)

Convincing Biturbopower

For base vehicles of the models Carrera since the conception of the Carrera 2 turbo-re-tooling systems are offered by us.
The proverbial efficiency and reliability of these Biturbotransmissions are already legend. Numerous test reports in international technical periodicals occupy this.
The turbo-modifications for these vehicles starting from model-year 89 to 98 are executed in the building block principle.
Our basic concept is also behind the engine installed turbochargers and alternatively water load air cooling (no tail wing!) or air-to-air load air cooling with wing is equal with all models of the series 964 and 993.

The different performance levels differ in additional measures in the engine and by changed components for example modified turbochargers, camshafts and modified exhaust systems.

Power: 331 kW (450 HP)
Torque: 580 Nm
Details: With or without rearwing available
2 turbochargers K16
Turboheaders
Turbo exhaust system
Sport airfilter
Modified engine management

Quick Reply: My first Porsche