Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reimporting US car from Canada back to US?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 03:19 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 297 Posts

I think the rules pretty clear - vehicle only required to pay import into US duty once - but customs' agents don't want to make the case and they want you to pay the freight.

I re-imported a vehicle from Canada and paid the duty b/c my broker wouldnt make the case. If I had been able to import it myself, I don't think I would have had to pay as appears to be the experience of other rennlisters... little different as yours is coming by boat
Old 08-29-2019, 03:26 PM
Peter Lim
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, thats what I was afraid of, I think coming from boat puts me at a great disadvantage, no reason for my broker to try to deal with this from his point of view
Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 PM
tokajim
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I have a somewhat similar situation I'm wondering if I could get advice on.

I was working in the US on a TN visa and purchased a used vehicle in the US. I got a job with a US company who assigned me to a Canadian office (Toronto) for a year so I went through the process of exporting my vehicle out of Michigan with CBP and into Canada with RIV. I have an Ontario registration card (they took away my US title at Service Ontario, I only have a photocopy left). As far as I remember the only thing that the CBP agent did was take a photocopy of my title and stamp my title for export.

I've since switched companies and now I'm back working in the US on a TN visa (visa is good for 2.5 years). I drove my car all the way to the Seattle area. I had little time to prepare for the job thus I didn't import the vehicle when crossing. I've been driving the vehicle in Seattle for the last month or so with my Ontario plates. I've obtained a Washington driver's license. At some point I have to import/title/register my car here right? Can I just drive to any CBP location (such as Vancouver?) or does it need to be my original port of entry? Could I just try to get a new title directly? What is my best course of action?

Edit: I'm a Canadian citizen. The vehicle in question is a 2009 Subaru that was purchased by me from a coworker in 2014 in the US and driven in the US until mid-2018 and imported into Canada.

Thanks!

Last edited by tokajim; 10-10-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: timing clarification
The following users liked this post:
Dave Thompson (11-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Reimporting US car from Canada back to US?