Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might sell my 993- Thoughts on price? Any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet155
My wife has asked that Adventurine/Cashmere be on the short list of colors, so I disagree with the color reducing value...
And here, by sheer coinky dink, is the perfect AG/Cashmere 993 that she's been dreaming about, just in time for Valentine's Day! Surprise her!!!

I'm also a little perplexed about AG. It's been said that "green" is a detriment, but many of the same people who say that also say they like AG and many who see AG in person make unsolicited compliments. Guess if it was named "Aventurine Blue" or "Aventurine Grey" it would be much more common! Then again, I avoided common colors because they're so....common. Black, silver, Guards Red and white were the colors I was **avoiding**. Mel had the only GR Porsche that I've ever seen that looked good to my eyes. No one ever accused me of having good taste, though...
Old 02-08-2009, 08:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet155
My wife has asked that Adventurine/Cashmere be on the short list of colors, so I disagree with the color reducing value...
You might disagree, but this is reality. I have Aventurine (without a "d") car and like it. But have no misgivings about the color vs. value.

So, you are in luck, you can bargain the seller further down if you are looking for Aventurine car. BTW, I think they look very good with grey interior as well, maybe not as warm as cashmere, but more classy. Having said that, I'm slowly converting mine to black. Light interiors are hard to keep looking decent.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Guess if it was named "Aventurine Blue" or "Aventurine Grey" it would be much more common!
I haven't thought of this, but I think this is perfectly true! Great observation.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Jim,

I'm sure you realize that, like the housing market, you'll benefit from the power of being a purchaser in a down market even though a sale may not garner the most moola.
Yes, trading up in a down market is part of my consideration. Sales taxes and costs to sort out a car can easily kill a deal, though. Especially when there is a great car sitting in the garage already!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

A thought occured to me. I't very difficult to sell a 993 today. And many selling them are doing so to raise some cash and do regret not having a 993.

So... if you could actually _trade_ with someone instead of selling and buying, it would make for a better deal all around ans spare both parties some aggrevation.

Not sure how difficult this would be, but, perhaps, worth approaching some of the TT sellers with an offer?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
I haven't thought of this, but I think this is perfectly true! Great observation.
That's the way it commonly works in my business (wood finishing products). A color can look **great** to the buyer but, if the buyer has oak cabinets and the name of the stain color happens to have the word "pine" in it (ex: Ipswich Pine), he immediately shies away from the stain after I tell him the name. Same thing for the owners of pine cabinets avoiding a stain with the word "Oak" in the name of the color.

Just to thumb my nose at convention, I stained my mahogany doors in "Cherry". I always was a radical....

BTW- After 3 years, a friend of mine has yet to see the green in AG. And he's not color blind, either.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

My GF can't see green in AG either, but I'm convinced that she is color blind

I spent a couple of years doing engineering work on a color matching spectrophotometers and hanging out with color scientists and assorted large decks of Sherwin Williams and other paint chips. I am convinced that all the failed English Lit majors go directly to work for paint companies. They just sit around, drink herbal tea and come up with this color naming ideas... "Distant Thunder" is a sound, not a color. "Serendipity" is not a color either. But they were both color names in those decks.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
I'm also a little perplexed about AG. It's been said that "green" is a detriment, but many of the same people who say that also say they like AG and many who see AG in person make unsolicited compliments. Guess if it was named "Aventurine Blue" or "Aventurine Grey" it would be much more common! Then again, I avoided common colors because they're so....common. Black, silver, Guards Red and white were the colors I was **avoiding**. Mel had the only GR Porsche that I've ever seen that looked good to my eyes. No one ever accused me of having good taste, though...
I feel the same way about colors, I hate having a car the same color as every other car on the road. I like gray and silver (the M3 is light gray) but would never buy a new car that color simply because so many other cars are that color. My wife's new BMW 328 Conv. is Space Gray (?) but I tried like hell to get her to go with the Marine (?) Blue but to no avail. At least she took my advice with the Coral interior, didn't think she would like it but when she saw it she loved it.

Peronally I like the Ad Green but not real fond of the Cashmere int. My Cayenne has Cash int., couldn't find what I wanted w/ gray. But then, I like reds, not many guys like reds so what do I know. Chrysler has a gorgeous Candy Apple like red that I like.

Quick Reply: Might sell my 993- Thoughts on price? Any interest?