Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would 993 value ever come back up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

10 to 20 years down the road anything could happen, and yea then the 993 may command a higher premium, just not going to happen in the short run
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

The 993 are dropping value because everything is, not because there is a lower desire for them vs a different model. I don't know a single Porsche salesman that thinks the 993 is not more desirable than a used 996 or 997. Maybe Rennlist sponsor Alfie from Ira will chime in...he could share his personal experiences and opinions with us. IMO these cars will hold a premium value for the same reason that Star Wars figures and other "p e r i o d" items do, because they hold nostalgic value to a segment of the population that can afford them.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, I like that.
"993, the Star Wars Figures of Porsches."
Of course the 993 Turbo S would be the Blue Snaggletooth.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
drmatera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bokonon
haha, I like that.
"993, the Star Wars Figures of Porsches."
Of course the 993 Turbo S would be the Blue Snaggletooth.
Wouldn't a 993 turbo S be Jaba The Hut? fat *** and always has hot bikini clad babes tied to it...
Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
4sound
Advanced

I own an independent Porsche/BMW shop in L.A. area and also have been involved in the sales of used Porsches. I am not as involved as I use to be with the sales, however I can tell you that finding a good 993 coupe (non tip trans), is not easy. The last 993's I sold were cabs and they ended up in Europe. Maybe it's because I'm in So. Calif.....finding a nice condition 993 coupe is not easy.
As for resale value, when looking at any of these you have to consider what work they may need. With 993's with miles on them, I would have a concern in regards to oil leaks and of course the secondary air issue. As you all know, sometimes the secondary air issue can be related to worn out valve guides, thus it isn't a $20 fix.
Other issue can be oil leaks. There is no rule to when it happens, but with higher miles on a 993 (100k area) there is a good chance a leak could develop at the "o-rings", located at the area where the case is bolted together. Replacing the o-rings require the engine be removed and a large percentage of the engine needs to be disassembled. Once again, this isn't a cheap fix.
My opinion, for what it's worth, 993 coupes are going to go up in value.
I remember years ago when 356's were cheap. Pretty much the overall attitude was to buy a 911, as so many Porsche people were so impressed with the power, new body style, etc. Not too many people took the potential future value of the 356 seriously.
Now look at where 356's are in price. So, if we consider the 993 is the last of the air cooled, no doubt there is a demand for them in Europe, and in my opinion one of the best looking Porsche ever made, where do you think the value of them will be in the near future ?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Let us not confuse value with price. My 993 has a high value to me, regardless of the price I might be able to sell it for (I have little interest in selling), because it is a superb machine, and I enjoy owning and driving it, along with appreciating its beauty and stellar engineering. Prices go up and down, it is all relative, while intrinsic value endures--"A thing of beauty is a joy forever".
Old 02-10-2009, 04:37 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

One thing that hasn't been discussed is the matter of inflation vs. value. For those of us who were around during the Carter days, we recall serious inflation. This is not a matter of "could it happen again" but when. As more dollars are printed, more dollars will be required to purchase things, hence, the price for our 993's will go up and so will everything else. If the price rises more than inflation, then the value is considered to increase. One thing is for certain: If you haven't purchased what you want by now and you can afford it, do it soon. There probably won't be a better time.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 PM
4sound
Advanced

NC Trackrat............
you bring up an important point. (also, I agree 100% of ur post) and yes, I do remember the Carter days. (You remember Billy Beer ?)
I believe the dollar is going down, thus not looking to sit on all cash...I am buying 356's. I have 4 of them now, looking for more...and yes, if the right deal on a 993 coupe came up, I'd be interested in that.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Talk to me in 10 years time.
I see what I paid as a sunk cost, which I've fully written off.
My only concern is if I am going to be able to get hold of gas 10+ years from now.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4sound
I Not too many people took the potential future value of the 356 seriously. Now look at where 356's are in price. So, if we consider the 993 is the last of the air cooled, no doubt there is a demand for them in Europe, and in my opinion one of the best looking Porsche ever made, where do you think the value of them will be in the near future ?
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I keep thinking the 356 phenomenon will eventually happen with 993. Other than the pre-'74s, apples to apples, it's already the most desireable 911.

993 buyers like me shyed away from 996 not just because of the headlight shape, it was because it was:
1) water cooled and
2) it didn't look nearly as good as the Sexiest Porsche of All Time.

As a first-time Porsche buyer, I wanted the "authentic" Porsche exerience, and to me, that meant air-cooled only...at any price. My backup plan was 3.2, not 996. 997 has addressed the headlight issue, the price may have come down and I may like to have one someday, but I still would have bought a 993 at this point. Maybe I'm more of a "traditionalist" or have a collector mentality, because I'm sure there will be plenty of others who better align with the "enthusiast" mentality and get a 997 because it's cheaper, faster and looks "good enough." Same can be said about Z06 or STi, but that's another discussion...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Value vs. price is something to consider. I value (read LOVE) my 993. If the 997's keep going down, I will be able to buy a nice 4S as my DD including winters and keep my 993 as my passion car. If the 993's go down I will be able to buy another 993 and turn it into a track car and turn my Cabrio back into a 3 season DD. Either way I win. BTW, I just saw 3!!! 944 Cup Cars for sale. All were below $7200 and the lowest was $5000. Maybe I'll buy one to race, one for parts and still keep my 993 as my passion car. This economy is just creating way tooo many options.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:34 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What you guys don't realize about the 993 (and 964) v. the 356 and early 911 (say, 911 through '75) is that the ravages of time aren't going to be as pronounced. Haven't heard much chatter about needing to replace battery boxes, longitudals, and floor pans on 993's. The others at 10 years.........uh, yeah. So there are going to be a lot of cars around for a long, long time. Also, factor in that there isn't any real "hacking up" (like slope conversions, turbo flaring, etc. that we did on too many early 911's to count) to be done to the modern cars.

And who's thinking gas won't be readily available in 10 years????? If not, I hope Mad Max is helping protect my tanker and compound as all hell will have broken loose!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Tango635
Racer

The only reason to be concerned about value or price on a 993 for an enthusiast is that, the 993 is a special car, and it is from a special marq, so it makes you feel good to know that the price is not so low that just anyone can buy one....you know, there should a "special" price for admission, you must pay your dues. But in the end a true enthusiast should not worry about that kind of stuff. It is a special car and if you're lucky enough to have one, go enjoy it. Just leave the radio off and enjoy the real music, the music that in 10 years will be very rare, otherwise radio on you might hear something about how the global economy is tanking. There's plenty of bad news right now, you got to enjoy the good stuff every chance you get. That's the way it should always be anyway.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
drmatera
Instructor

Tango635 - don't worry about poor people buying Porsches. The cost of admission is nothing compared to the potential cost of ownership if something major happens... Besides most average people think an oil change on an "exotic" is $1K and a brake job is $5K and who am i to tell them replacing the brake pads on my '79 930 was $50 and took less time to do than their Honda civic
Old 02-12-2009, 04:19 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just love the fact that I picked mine up cheap 4 years ago. Its been the best car and after 113k miles (including a ton of track time by me and the PO) it still takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! I get over 2 bar oil pressure at idle (just under after a good track session ) and the thing just keeps wanting more. And on top of it all, its still worth what I paid for it........how do you go wrong?

The dollar over time will be worth very little if things keep up (although at the moment its actually on a high streak - albeit a manufactured value). These 993's will be great investments in years to come. Low prices now are just a factor of a bad economy, not a depreciation of asset....IMO

Quick Reply: Would 993 value ever come back up?