Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking about selling the 993... what's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about selling the 993... what's it worth?

Hey,

I am thinking about selling the Deer Slayer.

I always intended it as a 365 day a year daily driver, but for all my bravado I never have the heart to drive it in the winter. I wind up driving the 740 on all but the nicest days. And the 740 kinda sucks.

I'm thinking I need a more practical DD, then maybe get a 944 or something for fun. But I'm not sure what the 993 is worth. maybe this is just the wrong time to sell, too.

~67000 miles (odometer is about 200 miles short, because the odo gear broke and it took me about that long to replace it)
new paint (new roof from deer hit)
new headliner, windscreen, dash, new steering wheel, new airbag, etc.

2 sets of wheels -- Cups with Blizzaks, Targas with Kumhos.

Everything is immaculate.

Really nice car. Breaks my heart.

What do you guys think I should ask for it if I decide to sell it?

thanks

Thaddeus
Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Between $19k and $31k, depending on how fast you need to sell it. Any car that's a "must sell" these days isn't worth much. If you have to take $5k-10k less than it's worth to get it gone, that really changes the value proposition of getting an other or more practical car.

996 turbos have lost $10k in value in the last three months. Thinking of getting one. But then I'd have to sell my 993 for $10k less, too. Oh well.

The question we all should be asking is, after this wacky confidence panic is over, will 993 prices come back up to previous levels?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

I can take my time. No hurry.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

Thaddeus,

I'll bet if you polled all the sports/specialty car boards on the Internet, you'd find that probably 80-85% of the participants get the "winter blahs" at some point during their ownership and consider selling their cars. I actually had the same thoughts last week, but a sunny 60 degree "sanity day" last Sunday enabled me to take a drive and dispell the winter doldrums.

Mid-winter is the worst time, both psychologically and economically, to sell a sports car...And with the "economy" the way it is, the only people out there looking are tightfisted and looking for a bargain....

Of course you know all this...

I say hold onto your car until the sun is warm...Clean it up as if you're going to sell it...Then take a nice long drive...You'll know when you pull into your driveway whether or not it's time to sell.

Best wishes,
Terry
Old 02-04-2009, 12:27 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also say to hold onto it. The winter along w/ the repaint would scare possible buyers away I suspect. Wait until spring/summer when you can drive it more before you make the call. that way you'll be more confident in the decision AND hopefully remove at least the seasonal negative on the sale.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, I know the repaint will scare some people away. I have, however, a ton of pictures of the damage and every step of the repair, such that a reasonable person would conclude the car is restored to as-new condition.

I will probably hang onto it until spring even IF I decide to sell it. I'm not eager to sell the car. Just reluctantly concluding that maybe I "should".

That's an ugly word, "should". Usually causes more trouble than it solves.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:08 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Between $19k and $31k, depending on how fast you need to sell it.
+993. Jon, that is the best value statement I have seen in recent months. You have an excellent ability to distill complex issues in easy to understand language. That's what I'm supposed to do in advertising, but you got skillz, too!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
Hey,

I am thinking about selling the Deer Slayer.

I always intended it as a 365 day a year daily driver, but for all my bravado I never have the heart to drive it in the winter. I wind up driving the 740 on all but the nicest days. And the 740 kinda sucks.

I'm thinking I need a more practical DD, then maybe get a 944 or something for fun. But I'm not sure what the 993 is worth. maybe this is just the wrong time to sell, too.

~67000 miles (odometer is about 200 miles short, because the odo gear broke and it took me about that long to replace it)
new paint (new roof from deer hit)
new headliner, windscreen, dash, new steering wheel, new airbag, etc.

2 sets of wheels -- Cups with Blizzaks, Targas with Kumhos.

Everything is immaculate.

Really nice car. Breaks my heart.

What do you guys think I should ask for it if I decide to sell it?

thanks

Thaddeus
This line in the original post reveals your true feelings.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:57 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just drive it!!!!!!!

If you sell now:
1. You won't get much money for it due to the economy.
2. You won't get much money for it due to the season.
3. I think the deer incident + repaint will move you further down the price curve at this point due to the glut of sales occurring.
4. You'll hate yourself on the first warm, sunny Spring day....

So, just drive her....remember, the 356 was developed in the Alps of Austria post WWII, and I'm pretty damn sure they didn't wait until a "nice" day to do test drives....
Old 02-04-2009, 03:15 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Just drive it!!!!!!!

....remember, the 356 was developed in the Alps of Austria post WWII, and I'm pretty damn sure they didn't wait until a "nice" day to do test drives....
Easy for a California guy to say this....
Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rallyJon - all 996s have plummeted, and far faster than 993s. So they are, indeed, a potentially sweet buy if you like the car. Even the x50s have fallen, but not quite as much. It is possible that in the not-too-distant future, a low miles NA 993 will be worth more than a 996tt!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by stedge
It is possible that in the not-too-distant future, a low miles NA 993 will be worth more than a 996tt!
Exhibit A: $39K
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...018454605.html
Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm selling mine as well and although there's been interest, the market is soft at the moment. I'm in no rush to sell though so I'm not going to let my 993 go at some stupid low price. Hang in there.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Old 02-04-2009, 04:56 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

The price will depend on whether the title is clear or salvaged and what the carfax says.

I would keep the car. i have a nasty feeling that we've close to bottomed out on the price and it's not going anywhere (up or down) for a while. So, essentially, you have a free car you can use right now.

I partially agree with Jon's valuation. $19-20K might be where the car is right now if you really intend to sell.

Guys, just step back and imagine what we would tell a new person coming in telling us that he's found a '95 with 67K miles in nice shape but with roof that's been replaced. Honestly, how many of us would type "run away screaming"? We all know the deer slayer and have seen pic and feel that the car's in good shape now. But put yourself in a buyer's shoes for a moment.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling the 993... what's it worth?