Sponsored by:

oil level problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
einreb92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil level problem

Ok. Maybe I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box but it was bothering me that the oil guage in the small cluster to the left was resting on the red hash mark, so I decided to check the oil via the dip stick. It looked a bit low and didn't look exactly like the picture in the book. I slowly added oil and looked through the back window and saw the needle went to the horizontal position after I added about 3/4 of a quart. I checked the stick again (all while the car was warm and running) and it was at the top of the twisted section. "Great. My first DIY," I thought.

I got about a mile from my house and smoke began to pour out of the rear. I don't know what if any damage I've done but more curious is the fact the after 10 miles or so of "burning off the extra," the needle went back to the bottom position. The pressure is great on the other oil dial but I don't know if I have a problem that needs to be addressed. Any help on this one?
Thanks in advance
Bernie
Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3667518

The search above will help you find what you need...

You must be at operating temp, and then let it idle for about 30 seconds on level ground for the oil level gauge (and/or the dipstick) to be of any use.

And a word from Steve Weiner on overfilling:
https://rennlist.com/forums/2075355-post3.html

Last edited by gonzilla; 02-02-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless of what the oil level gauge is doing if you read the dipstick and it was not overfilled then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Recheck the level with the dipstick and see if it's still full. By the way, if I fill my oil to the top of the dipstick it seems to rapidly go down to about 80% then stay there. I've since learned not to fill it to the absolute top.

As to the smoke did you pull out the little extender from the oil filler when you added oil? Those extenders are frequently split so you may have inadvertantly spilled oil that seeped down to the exhaust and burned off. It doesn't take much oil to make a lot of smoke. When you're checking the level take a close look at the filler extension and for signs of oil below it. If that's the problem I'd just clean it up, replace the extension and let the last of the oil burn off.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Bernie:

You may recall my reference, a few days ago, to the "idiosyncracies" of these cars.

My guage scared the crap out of me on my delivery home drive, so join the club. I was on I 15, headed north in the middle of nowhere, and noticed the low reading. I pulled off and found a level spot in a quiet industrial yard, let the engine run for a minute or so while I studied the owners manual, then went around the back to try my luck with a dip stick that I knew would be 3 feet long. Took a few readings which looked OK, and the oil temp and pressure were fine, so I just kept going. I was comforted by the manual's advice that the guage is unreliable above idle, and the knowledge that there are 11 + litres total oil capacity.

My tech's assistant suggests that I keep the oil level at the add mark on the dipstick.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:20 PM
einreb92
Instructor

In reverse; Thanks Rinty. I do recall what you said and have used that quote when trying to explain things about the Pcar to my teenaged son. But I never thought it would apply to adding a cup of oil to the motor. I guess I've got newbie written all over my face. The worse was when people pulled up next to me and saw the billowing smoke and probably thought, Some rich a**hole is polluting the environment in his fancy car! If they only knew LOL
2manycars: I did not see the extender but will look for it tomorrow. I used a funnel so, the oil came from me and not from dripping. Thanks for the feedback.
Mike: great links. Boy is this a great place or what!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...I've got newbie written...einreb92
Don't be too hard on yourself; these cars are different, and that's why we're all here.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 PM
einreb92
Instructor

I feel alot less alone having found this forum long before I found my car. Thanks Rinty. Now here's the parts B. Since I read Steve's reply about what overfilling can do, how do I know if I have done damage? The cleanup of the engine compartment seems to be an easy task, but how will I know if I've clogged the air injectors or messed up the cats?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take her for a long drive, get her hot, get her rev'd up and you should be good to go.

(Ok, gutter minds, I was talking about the CAR...)

If the dipstick is still showing overfilled, you could drain off a bit of oil as per the Steve W. link above. I'd take his word as Gospel on these cars. Also, taking a long drive, getting the engine warmed and keeping it there for a while will help burn off the excess oil and blow it out of the engine. And its an excuse to take a long drive!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

where on the twist should the level show for optimal levels?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by 96C4S
where on the twist should the level show for optimal levels?
If I recall correctly, the owner's manual states that "Full" is halfway between the top and bottom of the twist. I had trouble reading the dipstick until I took a file and cut two small notches in the twist at exactly halfway. It sounds stupid, but for some reason, having those notches on both sides of the dipstick make it easier (For me at least) to judge the oil level.

Last edited by TMc993; 02-02-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
If I recall correctly, the owner's manual states that "Full" is halfway between the top and bottom of the twist. I had trouble reading the dipstick until I took a file and cut two small notches in the twist at exactly halfway. It sounds stupid, but for some reason, having those nothes on both sides of the dipstick make it easier (For me at least) to judge the oil level.
Good idea Terry. With fresh (clean) oil, the dipstick can indeed be difficult to read. I think finding that "sweet spot" on the dipstick is part of the bonding process. I also think that many believe their car burns oil when in fact they're simply over filling. Don't worry Bernie, I think the majority of us have spent much time worrying about this. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Duckman
Racer

Rinty, I had the exact experience driving my car home for the first time, only my drive was from Chicago to North Carolina. As I'm cruising down I-65, somewhere between Indianapolis and Louisville, I realize my oil level needle has never moved. It's resting on the red. I stopped and checked the oil level immediately but it scared the hell out of me.

Another problem I noticed in checking the oil level is clean oil. Yep. My car's Mobil 1 is so clean that it's hard to see on the dip-stick. I got new glasses and maybe that'll help.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

I'm not the sharpest tool either. I bought my 993 6 months ago. I freaked about the oil level guage until I searched this site. The oil was changed immediately before I bought it. I have checked it once a month since I got it and I swear I can't see oil on the dipstick. I know my eyes have gone bad since I turned 40, but....I keep telling myself it's because it's "clean" oil. However, I feel like I should take it to a professional, or at least someone w/ good eyesight.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 PM
einreb92
Instructor

Ga993, I laughed when I read your post because my eyes would have trouble seeing the coming of the glory of the Lord LOL! A friend told me to use a strong flashlight and that the reflection of the oil on a clean dip stick will reflect differently where the oil is thicker. I'm going to try that right after I change my oil in a few months. I just got mine last week, so I'm really just beginning to figure it all out. Good luck to you as well!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Denise993
Pro

I made my mechanic give me a lesson in checking the oil because I couldn't tell if it was good or not and my gauge is not reliable at all even when idling on level ground.

I still hate checking it and have just resigned myself to popping in to see my mechanic when it needs to be checked.

I know... I'm such a girl... you guys would spend 3 hours in the garage rather than ask for help : )

Quick Reply: oil level problem