Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Replacement DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Replacement DIY?

I did extensive search and did not come up with much, or specificaly for the 993 car. Dos anyone have a link to a detailed how to, tips to make this easier. I can see the back of the switch and the wire connector. I can't make out what type of screw head drive it is... torx? Does the connector just pull off? Is there a retainer for this?

Any help would be most appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George B.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I seem to remember that there are one-time use screws that must be broken to remove the ignition switch. I think I read this from old posts of people replacing the ignition switch. I maybewrong, Ive never actually did this before. You are correct that its a suprisingly absent part of the KB for the 993 car. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
tigerrat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its like earlier 911's I think there are a couple of screws to be drilled or ground out. You could find info on this by searching the Pelican 911 forum. That's where I've read about it. Fortunately never done it. Ken
Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From memory there are 3 sheer bolts holding the barrel in place which need to be drilled/chiseled off to remove the barrel.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to do this, is there an electrical contact problem with the current one?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:30 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

I am trying to run down a problem of the battery going dead in three or four days. I searched and found stuff on pulling fuses while reading current draw on the battery. One thread mentioned the ignition switch. I took off the large disk that is around the key on the dash. The lock set is indeed riveted to the steel structure. The electrical portion mounts in the back with two screws and 'should' just come off. I will try and get a closer look at those screws to see if they can be removed. I may but this on hold for the time being till I can check out other stuff.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Rick J.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The electrical part is a breeze, just unplug from the back and remove two small set screws holding it in. The tumbler/mech. part of the switch is a S.O.B.!! I've had to use an air hammer to remove them for race builds. Thats why they never go bad (mechanical part)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you absolutely sure it's the switch? If necessary, you can pull off the electrical connector from the back of the switch and see if the battery draw goes away. If it does, use a spare ignition switch to see if the draw comes back. Have yet to see a ignition switch cause a battery draw.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GMS
Are you absolutely sure it's the switch? If necessary, you can pull off the electrical connector from the back of the switch and see if the battery draw goes away. If it does, use a spare ignition switch to see if the draw comes back. Have yet to see a ignition switch cause a battery draw.
That sounds like a good plan... I tried to pull the connector off, but I was not sure if there are any retaining clips, etc... did not want to break anything. Also space is so limited up there it is a PITA getting a good grip on the connector.

Are the screws Phillips head? I still can't get a close look.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Replacement DIY?