Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

HARD TOP 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:43 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Man, that is really cool. Best of both worlds. Nice find!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... that is a great find. I've never actually seen one at all, but fitted on the car looks great.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 That looks very good!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

It's cool and all, but how would one use it? You loose the soft top. So now you have a coupe? I don't think you can remove the hard top very easily or quickly on daily basis. Then what's teh point of having a cab?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

I'm guessing this is for the winter? I've never even heard of this. Thx for posting it.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HT993
Hi Bert,

Yes, was looking closely at the D. Moris after-market products before I stumbled across this one by chance. It's currently being fitted for me by a reputable indie garage, as it needs some side seals. I'll get the car back in a few weeks time, because I'm travelling. In the meantime, here's a few photos which the previous owner gave me. He acquired the Hard Top when he bought his car, along with a damaged Targa roof. Having renovated the Targa roof, he sold the Hard Top...

I guess I was just VERY lucky. My wife decided to offer it to me as a surprise Xmas present, so it's really priceless

The underside photo is a little deceptive, because there's lots of reflection and in fact it's well finished.

The French hardtops you mention seem to be really good - D. Moris has been in business for more than 20 years and the owner is extremely helpful. I would recommend them. Here's a photo too for those who are interested...

Thanks for all your comments.
That by far the best looking cab I've ever seen!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 PM
HT993
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
That by far the best looking cab I've ever seen!
Right now it looks like a real 993 Coupe, and has much better sound+heat insulation in the cockpit. In the spring, I'm going to switch back to the soft top - it takes about 60-90mins. Not something I expect to do everyday, but I guess I might be tempted for a long weekend mid-season when the weather is really fine ... So I guess the net benefit is having two cars in one.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:54 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

HT993, do you have to reconnect the cables, side transmissions when you put the soft top back? How hard is it to take outd put the soft top back in?

The reason I ask is that I probably will be repainting my cab in teh future. Trying to understand if taking thetop off is a viable idea.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:47 AM
HT993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nile13
HT993, do you have to reconnect the cables, side transmissions when you put the soft top back? How hard is it to take outd put the soft top back in?

The reason I ask is that I probably will be repainting my cab in teh future. Trying to understand if taking thetop off is a viable idea.

I'm not particularly technical, but I found it surprisingly easy to remove the soft top. I went very slowly so as to memorize the process, and it look less than an hour. Once you get started it's pretty clear what needs to be done, and replacing it is just the same process but in reverse.

First I unscrewed the carpeted covers next to the doors which contain the audio speakers and hide the metallic arms. These can then be detached, before unplugged the cable which leads to the electrical motor on one side. There are also some nuts to be removed from close to the door pillar. At the rear, there's another carpeted cover to be pulled away (secured by a plastic button) which hides three brackets that connect the soft top to the bodywork.

I haven't put the soft top back on yet but it looks as though it should be straightforward, provided that I don't lose any of the nuts and screws in the meantime

Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:53 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

HT993, thanks!

I've done pretty much all these steps before, except disconnecting the three brackets in the back and whatever holds the roof near the doors.

Am I correct in assuming that you've removed the side transmissions together with the roof and did not disconnect any transmission brackets?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I thought the hard part of working with the soft tops was getting it adjusted correctly. I have to imagine, it'd have to be readjusted going back in.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
HT993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nile13
HT993, thanks!

I've done pretty much all these steps before, except disconnecting the three brackets in the back and whatever holds the roof near the doors.

Am I correct in assuming that you've removed the side transmissions together with the roof and did not disconnect any transmission brackets?

Yes, the side transmissions (the black metallic arms) come away still connected to the roof. And I left the soft top fully deployed (ie the material is tight) for storage, to avoid creases forming that could create points of weakness.

Regarding readjustment, I assume this will be straightforward provided I recoonect all the points of contact as before.

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
I guess I thought the hard part of working with the soft tops was getting it adjusted correctly. I have to imagine, it'd have to be readjusted going back in.
+1 I have heard that these tops can be very difficult to adjust. I hope that I am incorrect. Please let us know how it goes when you tackle it.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Best of luck fitting yours. These tops were quite expensive from the factory originally. They became available for the 911, 964 and even the 993 although are quite rare. When Porsche redesigned the Carrera with the 996 models they wholly revised the hardtop design so that it could be added or removed quickly. My hardtop goes on in 8 minutes; and off in 8. All it takes is a small allen wrench today.
Attached Images   
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

What makes the 996 and 997 hardtop work is the fact that a clamshell covers the soft top.
That and the fact that Porsche designed everything to integrate. The older 911 hardtop was engineered as an afterthought.

Saw an original one for sale about five years ago: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ht=hardtop+joe

Quick Reply: HARD TOP 993