Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just curious

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:31 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although it seems confusing, the issue in the states about smog testing centers around the average air quality where you live. It's a federal law that your area is allowed only so many "bad" air days where the air quality is below a certain level. If the limit is exceeded over a period of years the locality risks losing highway funds from the feds (basically tax revenue to pay for road upkeep). Not surprisingly the areas that have problems are the urban areas so they are the first to impose anti-smog laws (like Atlanta) and less populated areas and states like Montana don't have any smog rules. Some states (Calif. and NY as an example) have the problem in enough areas that they just make the laws apply to the whole state.

As the owner of a number of old cars I'm not in love with the smog rules but they aren't that hard to live with in CA since it's only a bi-annual inspection for cars after 1974 and a well maintained car will usually pass. The pre-1975 exemption is not dumb but was hard fought here and granted in recognition of the fact that the vast majority of cars that old are owned by collectors and very seldom driven. Also, smog laws in general may seem dumb to lots of people but as one of the older farts here I saw the difference it made in Los Angeles from the 70s to the 90s. It was just unreal how much the air cleared (if you don't believe me just watch a few Dragnet reruns) so I can't say the laws didn't change things for the better there. A pain in the butt yes but dumb no.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:51 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Florida used to be like Georgia, with select counties conducting smog - but about eight years ago the governor said the program was too expensive to maintain and now we have no smog inspection nor any physical inspection whatsoever. You can drive any piece of crap down the road you want.

Nothing pisses you off like blue ricer headlights aimed directly into your rear view mirror.

dave
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

2Many Cars is right on target. I worked in East LA in the 70s, when it hurt one's lungs to take a deep breath of air, and at the end of the day, the motorcycle cops looked like raccoons, faces dark with soot except where there sunglasses covered. Big change now, pretty clean air in LA by comparison to those days.

California had a "Passenger Vehicle Inspection" program of roadside inspections conducted by the CHP until the Jerry Brown administration in the 70s and the advent of Zero-Based Budgeting, when budget line items had to be justified by departments on a yearly basis, and analysis showed that safety inspections were not cost-effective. It may be counter-intuitive, but not many collisions are caused by faulty vehicle condition, other than the loose nut behind the wheel...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
No it's not senseless. That's pretty interesting actually, and a pain--every 6 months? Here in Massachusetts, the safety inspection garage puts a big ugly sticker (about 3 inches wide by 2.5 inches tall with a number denoting the month of the inspection) on the bottom right corner of the windshield. That's in addition to the small sticker on the rear license plate to denote the expiration year of your registration. If you have to get a windshield replacement and your inspection sticker is not expired, the windshield technician scrapes your sticker off and sticks it onto the new windshield, with not-so-tidy results...Do you guys in NZ have such a sticker? None of the surrounding states seem to use these stickers.
No, we get a little sticker about 1 1/2" x 2", if that. It has numbers 1 to 12 qround the edge and the garage punch a hole in the month of expiry. It's not a big ugly sticker though.
Some of the rules over there have to make you wonder though. Some of those old POS cars driving around just shouldn't be on the roads.
Interesting that insurance companies don't even check the car over after a crash/claim.
If you make a claim here, sometimes they check everything and just about get out the rubber glove for a body search!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, where in NZ are you from? I have a friend from Christ Church, and my father traveled there once on a business trip and absolutely loved it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Interesting that insurance companies don't even check the car over after a crash/claim.
If you make a claim here, sometimes they check everything and just about get out the rubber glove for a body search!
Same in Australia. When a little old lady decided to T-bone into the side of my car while I was stopped in the median of a divided road, the insurer wanted to check the mechanicals on my car ... ? When my wife wrecked my Boxster on a freeway driving in the rain on track tires, they didn't care that there was basically zero tread depth -- if they'd said "idiot" and declined the claim, I wouldn't have debated the point. : )

Last edited by Carrera GT; 01-11-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Just curious