Sponsored by:

Rear deck hi-fi speaker cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM
timabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear deck hi-fi speaker cover

Yes, i did search. All the discussion lately about stereo replacement inspired me to finally change out my rear deck paper speakers (I have the hi-fi option). The remove / replace was a breeze and well documented in the forums. My problem is the speaker grill. I want to use the stock hi-fi grill but am struggling with the best way to attach it to the rear deck. The new speakers are much smaller than the old ones (and sound GREAT) so the speaker grill now sits on the rear deck.

I'm leaning towards some sort of simple velcro attachment, but i thought I would check here first. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

There's not a great answer to this; I went thru the same thing. My solution was to dremel the heck out of the hi-fi grill until I could make it fit over my infiniti aftermarket speakers. So they're screwed in place.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 AM
timabe
Instructor

Given the lack of replies it looks like there is no bullet-proof answer to this one. Curses!

I think I may try Dremmeling out the entire old speaker assembly, leaving the original groove so the speaker cover can snap in. I should be able to place the entire contraption over the new speaker and fasten it down with a dab of automotive trim silicon. If it works, it will have the added benefit of fitting into the indentation on the deck. If it doesn't work, then my DIY track record will remain consistent!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:02 PM
carby
Instructor

I had similar issues on my 964. I used Marc's method as described here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=64154

If you experiment with the thickness of the foam it will be pretty snug. I think you have the inverse problem of the OEM not fitting over anymore from your description.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2009, 10:07 PM
carby
Instructor

DELETE (double post)

Last edited by carby; 01-10-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 PM
timabe
Instructor

Default Solution!

Completely stock look and it was a piece of cake. Here is how I did it:

1. Use a Dremmel cutting wheel and cut out the speaker, leaving the trim ring. Be sure to leave the groove for the speaker cover intact.

2. After cutting out the old speaker, use a Dremmel sanding drum to smooth the inside edges. Again, remember to leave the groove so the speaker cover can snap back in.

3. Press the speaker covers back into the groove. If they do not snap in flush, use a little trim glue in the groove, Press the cover in and use a clamp until the glue dries.

4. Place a few thin strips of velcro around the inside of the speaker cover and on the rear deck right inside the indentation that was left when you removed the speaker.

That's all there is to it. It took me about 30 minutes.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Rear deck hi-fi speaker cover