Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 RS Carpet Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 PM
vanguard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its an old thread, but is the #77 3M spray adhesive strong enough? Is it holding up over all these years? I know 3M sells stronger ones. My car is already stripped to the metal so I just need to lay down the carpet. Can the OP estimate how much time it will take to install the RS carpet?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by vanguard
I know its an old thread, but is the #77 3M spray adhesive strong enough? Is it holding up over all these years? I know 3M sells stronger ones. My car is already stripped to the metal so I just need to lay down the carpet. Can the OP estimate how much time it will take to install the RS carpet?
yes, I've used "77 for everything from headliners to carpet. The RS carpet is very light and even any underlayment is going to be light, It doesn't take much to hold it in place.

The long hard part is removing all the oem stuff, Putting it all back together shouldn't take much more than an afternoon
Old 11-23-2011, 02:44 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

wow... reviving an old thread. Looking back at this thread only reminds me of all the useless labor that I've put in to this car during the car's evolution. Wouldn't you know... less than a year after I did this install, PCA club racing ends up allowing removal of all interior carpeting. The week-long labors and compromised mental capacity from the fumes were all done for naught. I had the entire carpet kit removed in probably 15 minutes. The 3m 77 strength adhesive is fine. In truth, it's nice to be able to easily peel the carpeting back when needed (to access wiring harness, etc). You may want to do something a bit more robust (like contact cement) in the high stress areas (like around the rear quarter windows) or along the door sills, where there is a lot of traffic.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:26 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting ready to do this in a few days. I have all the carpet out. I think mine got extra glue. I had to cut the rear seat bottoms out. I was able to keep all the sound deadening in place without much damage but after talking with the owner of AppBiz, its fine to take it out. Not sure which route to go. Lose the weight or keep the carpet a bit smoother.

I bought the lightweight carpet set, I should probably pull all the deadening out.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:24 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

An RS carpet set is cut to fit without any sound deadening in place. I doubt it would fit well if you attempt to lay it over the sound deadening.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jhg41977
I am getting ready to do this in a few days. I have all the carpet out. I think mine got extra glue. I had to cut the rear seat bottoms out. I was able to keep all the sound deadening in place without much damage but after talking with the owner of AppBiz, its fine to take it out. Not sure which route to go. Lose the weight or keep the carpet a bit smoother. I bought the lightweight carpet set, I should probably pull all the deadening out.
I pulled all mine out. A total PITA but it was necessary.

Michael
Old 04-02-2015, 02:17 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

All the sound deadening is out. Most of the glue is removed. The car had to go back to the body shop where repair work was done so they could finish up a few items. I should have it back by the 10th so I can get started.

Currently the car has RS engine mounts, the Function First transmission mount support, Fister Stage 2 mufflers and a RS clutch/flywheel. With no door panels and all carpeting and sound deadening removed, it is a bit loud inside. The worst of it is the road debris (sand and such) hitting the floors. I would like to add some type of sound pad to the floors but I dont want to add a lot of weight. Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2015, 11:30 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

My wife and I found oit, shortly after my last post, we were movong and needed to be in NC August 1. The glue is 995 removed, Ive addedsome foam padding in a few areas and some dynamat on the floor in the rear to help a bit with noise from road debris.

I started fitting the carpet last night. I bought the thin perlon carpet. Im not sure what I want to do with the rear shelf, glue it to the contours, use foam to smooth the shelf out or make a thin wood shelf.

I removed all of the clips to mount the parcel shelf front so I could get a better appearance. Ill post pics when I get home.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:16 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

I used dynamat on the seat bottoms and rear floors, hopefully this will reduce the amout of debris noise and some of the drone. The thicker foam is also dynamat but it is very lightweight and 1/2" thick. I used this to even out some of the contours. I thinkbthis added 3lbs or less.

I temoved all of the raised tabs for mounting the rear parcel shelf and piece behind the rear seats, the tab for mounting the rear seat backs and all of the tabs for mounting the center console. At this point O am keeping the lower dash pad only because I want a glove box to hold important things like registration etc.

Im waiting for some paint to dry and then back at it to start installing carpet!
Attached Images      
Old 09-03-2015, 03:56 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 993 RS Carpet Installation Guide

What's the silver stuff that isn't dynamat in the above pics?
Old 09-03-2015, 04:08 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

It is Dynamat Hoodliner, 1/2" thick self adhering closed cell foam. Im using it for padding to reduce some of the contours.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Nash_TDI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great install and write up.

Can't wait to be at this point. I think I even have some leftover dynamat from an old project. I like the 1/2 foam too.

Quick Reply: 993 RS Carpet Installation Guide