993 Forum 1995-1998

cg-lock: review

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts
Default cg-lock: review

For those not aware of this product, I have to say its quite impressive, especially given its simplicity.

http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

Basically, it works just like an airplane seatbelt in that it clamps down on your lap belt and keeps it from loosening up.

For spirited driving, you inhale, pull hard on the chest portion of the belt and the lap belt gets tight and stays that way.

For those of us with crappy seats (mustang), this really keeps you from sliding around and is very helpful on hard driving/cornering.

They claim that it offers 80% of the holding potential of a harness, with about 2% of the fuss. While I can't verify that, for $40, im certainly pleased with its performance.

Definitely something to look into for those who like to take turns hard but don't want the hassle of a harness.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread jarred my memory and I found two (one slightly used, one new) Cg-Locks.
As Quadcammer stated, they do what they are designed to do.
I used one in my 03 M5 before I sold it.
If anyone is interested in the pair drop me a note.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-01-2009, 07:34 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I've never seen the need for one, since it's more effective to use the "pre-tensioning" method: slide the seat back, recline the seat, then quickly tug on the shoulder belt until it locks, then bring the seat back up and forward, and voila your shoulder portion is tight as well as the lap portion. A big hassle but it's very effective in most cars.

I've also wondered if the CG lock may be unwise since one beauty of the 3-pt system is that when your body moves forward in a crash and tightens the lap portion, that causes a tightening of the shoulder portion. The CG lock removes that feature, so your upper body won't see added tension. Just a thought.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I've never seen the need for one, since it's more effective to use the "pre-tensioning" method: slide the seat back, recline the seat, then quickly tug on the shoulder belt until it locks, then bring the seat back up and forward, and voila your shoulder portion is tight as well as the lap portion. A big hassle but it's very effective in most cars.
That's what I did for a year or two until I got my GT3 seats and Sabelt harnesses. The method definitely takes some practice to obtain the right amount of tension. Too little and you'll slide around. Too much and it feels like you have a Roseanne Barr sitting on your chest.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric

I've also wondered if the CG lock may be unwise since one beauty of the 3-pt system is that when your body moves forward in a crash and tightens the lap portion, that causes a tightening of the shoulder portion. The CG lock removes that feature, so your upper body won't see added tension. Just a thought.
the shoulder portion can still lock up if you move forward quickly.

The pretensioning method is fine, but that also prevents your ability to reach for something if need be.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:13 AM
AGM993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

air eater, PM sent.

Thanks

Quick Reply: cg-lock: review