Sponsored by:

Bleeding brakes 1st time - Got air into the reservoir and need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 413 Posts

OK, I'm sufficiently confused-

-Will turning on the ignition on and off a couple of times while bleeding out each caliper serve to flush the ABD?

-In post #11, Terry says to bleed the outer nipple first, but in #12, Garth's link says to bleed the inner first. Which is correct?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

Jimbo,

I edited my post...Garth's link is correct.

Terry
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Jimbo,

I edited my post...Garth's link is correct.

Terry
No it is not.
Both work according to Brembo, but outer first is better (as per brembo), because if outer is first, less bubbles will be left in the caliper before doing inner nipple.
If you start with inner, more air bubbles are left in caliper before doing outer, and they say outer first is more convenient.
google it, and I found this as well:

http://tech.rennlist.com/993/993brakebleedingweiner.PDF

the best of the best is to re-bleed a tiny tidbit after 200 - 300 miles, works best for me.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

@Jimbo3: The thread said that turning the ignition is sufficient to get the air out of the ABS unit. You might need a couple of rounds of bleeding. One of our 'gurus' Steve Weiner confirmed this procedure in a PM.

I will let you know after the weekend what the outcome is.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:20 PM
striker27
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to add it might be nice to have a buddy over for a second set of hands. Might be able to help out in some way. I always screw up in the past when I swap out brake fluid on my car and like to have a second set of hands and eyes.

Probably sounds stupid I know but it might help.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:56 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
@Jimbo3: The thread said that turning the ignition is sufficient to get the air out of the ABS unit. You might need a couple of rounds of bleeding. One of our 'gurus' Steve Weiner confirmed this procedure in a PM.

I will let you know after the weekend what the outcome is.
I'm not really concerned about ABS or air in the ABD, but more interested in getting old fluid bled out of the ABD. If you happen to email Steve back, pls ask him for me. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
No it is not.
Both work according to Brembo, but outer first is better (as per brembo), because if outer is first, less bubbles will be left in the caliper before doing inner nipple.
If you start with inner, more air bubbles are left in caliper before doing outer, and they say outer first is more convenient.
google it, and I found this as well:

http://tech.rennlist.com/993/993brakebleedingweiner.PDF

the best of the best is to re-bleed a tiny tidbit after 200 - 300 miles, works best for me.

Just to add some salt to the popcorn, I agree - and also bleed outer nipples first when doing a fluid flush; however, either way works.
The small diameter brake lines enter the inboard chamber of the caliper at mid height. One can assume 'plug flow' throught the brake lines and interconnecting pipe to the exterior chamber .... ie., no turbulent mixing of old and new fluids as flushing/exchange occurs. This condition is unlikely to be maintained as flow enters the inner chamber - so a degree of mixing then occurs. One can make a case for initiating the bleed via either nipple first .... but it 'feels' emperically correct to chase the "hald" of the inner chamber volume down through the crossover and into the outer chamber - to exit through the outer nipple. With minimal mixing assumed, one blows ~3/4 of the calipers capacity out the exterior nipple .... then tidies up by flowing the rest out the inner side.
OTOH, if I had run a new brake line, or otherwise filled the lines with air ... personally, I would initially bleed by the closest nipple to the line entry ( ie inner nipple) ..... air follows the upwards path of least resistance - right? - so will appear where?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I just did mine for the first time. On my personal DIY scale, it was a 2. It would have been a 1 if I had remembered to clamp off the overflow line first...
So, how hard is the clutch slave cylinder really? I'm thinking tomorrow...
Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I just did mine for the first time. On my personal DIY scale, it was a 2. It would have been a 1 if I had remembered to clamp off the overflow line first...
So, how hard is the clutch slave cylinder really? I'm thinking tomorrow...
Depends on how long and skinny your arms are. It's just a matter of getting a good angle on it. IIRC, coming from under the passenger side of the car heading for the driver's side reach your right arm up to the clutch slave cylinder nipple (helps to have small ignition style box wrenches).
Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Clutch slave nipple uses a 7mm wrench -- there, I saved you one sit-up
Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I got me some extra fluid and redid the bleeding. I made 3 rounds using the pressure pleedure and turned the ignition on and off as recommended to purge the air out of the ABS unit. Just test drove and the brakes are fine again. The moral of the story:

Easy job but NEVER LET THE RESERVOIR RUN EMPTY.

Thanks for all the help from rennlist, in particular Steve Weiner.

Erik

Quick Reply: Bleeding brakes 1st time - Got air into the reservoir and need help