Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Fixed back seats or reclining???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed back seats or reclining???

I want to change out my seats and I am undecided between fixed back or reclining. I do about 10 AutoX, 4-5 DE's and 2-3 open track days per year. I find that I am spending too much energy staying in the seat and I want to improve safety by going to a 5 or 6 point harness.

My car is a daily driver so I want to be able to get to the rear. I have a roll bar so the rear is not for people, just stuff like brief case, gym bag, tool bag for the track, etc.....

There are a number of nice "sport seats" out there that work well with harnesses and still give you access to the rear. The reasons (in my mind) for the fixed back race seat is that they offer more safety and there are more choices. With a fixed back seat, how easy is it to get stuff in/out of the back by sliding the seat forward? Any other ideas or words of wisdom are welcome. Thanks.

Tom
Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you don't need the back seats, definitely get fixed bucket seats and 6-pt harness.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:48 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll answer it this way: I fill up my car for track days, which includes stuffing the back with 2 big folding chairs, my long thin track box, an overnight bag, etc. It can be a little tricky stuffing it all in, but I've never once thought "gee I wish I had folding seats." Why? I'm reassured by the safety of fixed back seats and the money I saved could be spent on other safety stuff like a Hans.

I haven't seen many folding seats that offer the lateral support as fixed seats either, so that's a huge factor.

If I only did a couple track days per year, I'd probably want reclining seats but that's mostly for comfort instead of the folding feature.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

With fixed-back seat on sliders, it's relatively easy to access the rear for storage (just not passengers). I was able to get a large duffle back, lounge chair, cooler, and other goodies back there when I used to drive to the track.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a fixed back for the driver and a folding seat for the passenger? That way, if you really need to get the seat out of the way to fit something back there, you can put it in on the passenger side?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bobesser
What about a fixed back for the driver and a folding seat for the passenger? That way, if you really need to get the seat out of the way to fit something back there, you can put it in on the passenger side?
Good idea. But it *might* violate the "equal restraint" DE requirements, depending on what region you're in and how they interpret the requirement. Just a thought.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the great input. I'm going to check out the "equal restraint" requirement as I think the fixed back would work just fine for me and my wife would like the reclining feature. I don't want to end up with something that looks goofy either.

I think I'll head over to Stable Energies and do a butt check and see where I end up in this regard as well. Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

With as much track/autocross time that you're doing, I'd go with fixed-back seats and figure out how to get soft-sided cargo in the back. As the others have said, it's no big deal. If it starts to be a problem, get a trailer that you can pull behind the 993.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:14 PM
icelatte
Racer

You can mount the passenger side fixed back seat in the most forward position possible to maximize your access to the rear seats. I've done this and my 5'4" 100lb wife can still get into the back seat (not that she normally wants to).
Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM
bobesser
Pro

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Good idea. But it *might* violate the "equal restraint" DE requirements, depending on what region you're in and how they interpret the requirement. Just a thought.
Agreed. This sort of thing is probably very regional and organizational as well. I have done ride alongs with many instructors in NASA that had a fixed back and a regular seat. Both seats had the same harness, so, NASA said the restraints were the same. I could see someone saying that the seat is a fundamental part of the restraint system and nix it.

Bob

Quick Reply: Fixed back seats or reclining???