Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long since you've checked your engine mounts? (Plus plenty of noob diy questions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008 | 06:41 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Default How long since you've checked your engine mounts? (Plus plenty of noob diy questions)

After reading the thread on the 964 forum I'm convinced that my '95 needs new engine mounts. The passenger side exhaust tip sits lower than it's twin. Shifting is notchy and the attached foto confirms that the mount is leaking.

I'm pretty much set on the semi solid RS mounts.

Will I need to have the engine carrier reinforced?

Is is possible to do this job without putting the car on jackstands?

Any advice is welcome and appriciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2008 | 07:34 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

You don't need jackstands, you just need to support the engine while the mounts are out. I would get the Wevo mounts -- they're better than the original, and much cheaper.
Old 11-28-2008 | 08:40 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Thanks Noah!

I've read that the Wevo solid mounts will require reinforcement of the engine carrier and might cause the transmission mount to fail. Does this sound correct to you? Would you recommend changing the transmission mount as well?
Old 11-28-2008 | 09:56 PM
chet
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993James993
How long since you've checked your engine mounts?
A week and a half ago I got about a block from the house and came to a stop sign. That's when I saw smoke coming from my vents (I had the dial set over to heat). When I went back home and checked on it, I found a puddle of something in the left rear of the engine compartment. It was pooling around the connection for the heater tube, and I'm assuming the smoke was from some of it getting down into the heater tube and maybe the heat exchanger. The fluid was dripping down from the motor mount.

Prior to that, I hadn't checked my motor mounts in a couple of years.
Old 11-28-2008 | 10:13 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993James993
Thanks Noah!

I've read that the Wevo solid mounts will require reinforcement of the engine carrier and might cause the transmission mount to fail. Does this sound correct to you? Would you recommend changing the transmission mount as well?
The Wevo's offer a choice of plastic pillows that make the mount semi-solid, not solid. Reinforcing the engine carrier is a must with solid mounts, but probably not with the Wevo's. See here:

http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...gineMounts.htm

Also, you don't need to worry about a thing when it comes to your gearbox mount. It's basically a hockey puck with a bolt through it mounted in the nosecone of the gearbox. It can't break.
Old 11-28-2008 | 11:07 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

+1 on Noah's advice.

Go with the Wevo mounts and black pillows. Leave your transmission mount alone. FYI, the OEM RS mounts are more expensive than Wevos.

Engine carrier reinforcement is probably good preventative maintenance for street use, and for track use a must if you use stiffer engine/tranny mounts.
Old 11-28-2008 | 11:14 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
...Engine carrier reinforcement is probably good preventative maintenance for street use, and for track use a must if you use stiffer engine/tranny mounts.
Interesting. First time I've ever heard that opinion. I personally don't know anyone who's had probs with their engine carrier.
Old 11-29-2008 | 12:15 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Interesting.* First time I've ever heard that opinion.* I personally don't know anyone who's had probs with their engine carrier.
Eric,

I'm doing this mod over the winter for track use since I've spoken to a couple people with cracks in the usual places. It simply makes me think a) our cars are getting older, b) people are replacing the stock motor mounts with stiffer ones - and they've often been driving around with failing ones, c) if something's going to give, it's going to be the weak link in the chain, i.e. the carrier mounts. Granted, it may never happen on a street car, but it's a relatively inexpensive thing to do, especially as a WYIT task.... so, just a thought .
Old 11-29-2008 | 12:44 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Yup, and I'm installing the Wevo black (softer) mounts, so I'll need to read up on this issue and inspect my carrier periodically.
Old 11-29-2008 | 02:11 AM
ard
Burning Brakes

Default please elaborate on what / how / where re: engine carrier reinforcement

Originally Posted by jdistefa
+1 on Noah's advice.

Go with the Wevo mounts and black pillows. Leave your transmission mount alone. FYI, the OEM RS mounts are more expensive than Wevos.

Engine carrier reinforcement is probably good preventative maintenance for street use, and for track use a must if you use stiffer engine/tranny mounts.
Interesting. Can you provide more specifics, please? How does one go about reinforcing the engine carrier?

TIA
Old 11-29-2008 | 02:18 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Rennlist sponsor Rennline just introduced this reinforcement kit
Old 11-29-2008 | 02:48 AM
james944
Instructor

Many people just have smaller reinforcements welded to the mount attachment points like this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/439173-motor-mount-reinforcement.html

One thing I'm curious about, does anyone have the RS carrier from the factory? PN: 993 115 021 41. I don't know if it's reinforced or if it's a different part entirely, but I'd be interested to see how it differs from the regular 993 carrier and also from the 964 carrier as there is no separate RS (or cup) carrier for the 964...

Anybody know?
Old 11-29-2008 | 10:27 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Im currently going thru this. I just installed Wevo mounts and rennline reinforcement kit. I talked to Wevo and there is so little urethane that the wevo guy told me there is very little difference between blue and black pillows. The rennline gusset kit is awesome, but may cut down clearance to the crank pulley a slight amount.
Old 11-29-2008 | 02:15 PM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

I was tod that C4 mounts are a stiffer alternative to standard mounts on a C2 if you dont want to go the RS/Wevo route ??????????? Your thoughts
Old 11-30-2008 | 10:10 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

clinchy993 :
The C4 uses the RS tranny mount, same engine mounts on C2 &C4.

Quick Reply: How long since you've checked your engine mounts? (Plus plenty of noob diy questions)