Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove rear quarter window frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to remove rear quarter window frame?

Original owner got some polishing compound or something in the area between the fender and the metal weatherstrip just underneath the rear corner window glass (not the rubber weather stripping). Its been bugging me and nothing seems to work in getting the stuff outta there. Just want to pull the strips off, clean it, and reinstall. How do they come off?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
FSCCA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The metal trim is held on by three sheet metal screws under the rear 1/4 window gasket. You have to remove the interior window trim by removing the 4 screws under the window. The 1/4 window can then be pushed out with the gasket.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

How are those screws accessed? By removing the interior trim?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:56 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by FSCCA
The metal trim is held on by three sheet metal screws under the rear 1/4 window gasket. You have to remove the interior window trim by removing the 4 screws under the window. The 1/4 window can then be pushed out with the gasket.

It's really that easy?

Andreas
Old 11-24-2008, 06:45 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by FSCCA
Ive only done one (my own), but that is not how mine is installed.

The interior trim can stay in (although you may want to take it out to make putting the glass back in easier). You just push the glass out (and I mean push HARD) from inside to outside. Once the glass (and its rubber gasket) are out you will see 4 tiny trim screws holding that metal trim to the body. Note: there is also silicone sealant under the trim gluing it down (at least on mine anyway). you will need a knife of some kind to cut the silicone as you peel the trim up, otherise it will bend.

I would just use a good brush and elbow grease to clean it up... the risk of damaging the paint, or creating an air leak is high by pulling all of this apart.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:50 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82

The interior trim can stay in (although you may want to take it out to make putting the glass back in easier). You just push the glass out (and I mean push HARD) from inside to outside. Once the glass (and its rubber gasket) are out you will see 4 tiny trim screws holding that metal trim to the body. Note: there is also silicone sealant under the trim gluing it down (at least on mine anyway). you will need a knife of some kind to cut the silicone as you peel the trim up, otherise it will bend.

I would just use a good brush and elbow grease to clean it up... the risk of damaging the paint, or creating an air leak is high by pulling all of this apart.
How does it go back in - using the string method?

Andreas
Old 11-24-2008, 06:56 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
How does it go back in - using the string method?

Andreas
String, hammer, and a lot of cursing....

Actually is wasnt that bad... String got it in, and just had to use a plastic deadblow to "align" it...
Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

String, hammer, and a lot of cursing....
LOL....+100000000000
Old 11-24-2008, 11:40 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Whoa! Didn't realize that the window needed to come out. Sounds like I'd curse more than when doing my own oil changes, caliper repainting, rotor replacement, writing check for top-end rebuild, steering rack.....etc etc
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you get at the polish that you can see with a toothpick? Won't mark up the paint and can get to most places the eye can see.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:14 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Not totally sure if its hard water deposits or polish but toothpicks don't seem to be doing the trick. May try some other things instead of pulling the windows out tho.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:36 AM
FSCCA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think we disagree. My description was not as complete, but I am saying the same thing. Push the glass out with gasket. Interior trim should be removed for reinsertion unsing string method. Not a big deal. Takes me about 1/2 hour in and out doing it very carefully.

Quick Reply: How to remove rear quarter window frame?