Cooling fan resistor - replacement tip

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
Are both resistors the same specification? Does anybody know who the OEM is? Are there any OEM part numbers on the unit? just curious...
They are both the same part. Sunset sells them for $35 or so.

Andreas
Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both my oil-cooler and AC ones were bad as found in the PPI on my car... oil cooler was changed, but I still haven't seen the need to mess w/ the AC one. Who knows... I may just do it this winter when I'm not driving her much.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AOW162435
They are both the same part. Sunset sells them for $35 or so.

Andreas
thanks, Andreas. I am curious to find the OEM to see if they could be sourced from an electronics supplier at lower cost.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both fans have 2 speeds, the lower speed will not work if the resistor is bad. The fan will not work at all until a high speed signal is sent. There is a previous thread on how to jump the fan relay with a resistor to trigger the fan to turn on high when a low speed signal is sent. You could do this until the relay is replaced or instead of replacing the relay. Some guys like this mod as the oil cooler fan comes on at full speed all the time it runs. I'll try to find it, but you can search for "fan relay".
Old 11-20-2008, 03:06 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as an aside, even though both resistors are the same, they are held in with different bolts. The Oil cooler / passenger side uses a hex head screw that recesses into the resistor and then fastens with a nut on the underside of the tin cover. On the AC / drivers side, the nut is welded onto the tin and uses an allen bolt (round head) through the resistor.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Just as an aside, even though both resistors are the same, they are held in with different bolts. The Oil cooler / passenger side uses a hex head screw that recesses into the resistor and then fastens with a nut on the underside of the tin cover. On the AC / drivers side, the nut is welded onto the tin and uses an allen bolt (round head) through the resistor.
Isn't that the sad truth .... I tried to spin off the welded nut on the AC side - quite tough it was! ( 4mm allan key on top works better ....)
Old 11-21-2008, 05:23 AM
shamrock
Racer

Slightly OT , apologies!

My A/C resistor's shot , but I find the air is still cool thru the vents as long as I'm not in traffic (presumably air flow over the A/C condenser is enough to do the job while the car is moving) .My question is , if I'm stopped in traffic , and the A/C fan isn't working could I be doing any damage to the A/C system components??

Quick Reply: Cooling fan resistor - replacement tip