Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I accidentally went to 7000 RPM...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
blu_in_green
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I accidentally went to 7000 RPM...

I was driving home today when, all of a sudden, it started snowing and traffic began getting crazy. Pulling into an open lane, my right foot got a little zealous, coupled with the lightweight flywheel and RS clutch...well, it wasn't good. For some reason the limiter never kicked in and my passenger said it went to 7000 RPMs before I grabbed second. I was wondering if there is some explanation for not hitting the limiter? I bought the car a few months ago, and don't believe I ever entered the red zone on the street or track - I just assumed the limiter was there! I'm pretty sure the previous owner said he put the stock chip back in when he bought it (I believe it had a aftermarket chip 2 owners ago). I'm curious as to informed majority here on Rennlist would do. Is it necessary to be proactive and replace the rod bearings/springs so the engine doesn't go sometime in the future? Should I just pretend it never happened and avoid going over 6k in the future? Is this sort of mistake common for new 911 owners?
Thanks for the help!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Not to hijack but, how about some pics of your (awesome) car.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you've only done this the once I think stripping the engine would be a major over-reaction. If the engine sounds okay after you buzzed it I'd leave it alone, just look into why the rev-limiter didn't do it's thing. The first culprit in my humble opinion would be the DME and the chip it now has in it. Take it out (under the driver's seat) and take off the lid and check the chip. Most after market ones will have the providers name on it or will just not look standard.

Here's a link to revmoving the DME and the chip you need to check:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...rformance_chip

Good luck
Old 11-16-2008, 05:24 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car is running the same as before, don't worry about it.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:32 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

i would not worry about it either... Keep in mind the redline is 6800 not 6000... and from the passenger seat 6800 may look like 7k.... but I would definitly check the limiter... If it were me, i'd find a quiet piece of highway and in third gear wind it up, keeping a close eye on the tach. If you dont feel the rev limiter kick in by 6900 you need to dig a little deeper...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:32 PM
LanCat
Intermediate

I'd not worry about it. If it sounds and seems OK now then I'm sure a brief blip won't have hurt. At the most, if it hasn't had an oil change recently I might be tempted to bring one forward but even that's being very cautious.

These are good strong motors.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM
CalgaryGT3
Advanced

Dumb question but what is it suppose to feel like when the rev limiter kicks in? Does one feel no more hp or torque all of a sudden or something else?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

feels like your running out of gas.....
Old 11-16-2008, 06:14 PM
blu_in_green
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was searching through some old topics on over revs and didn't know what to think, so thanks for easing my mind.

It just came back from it's winter oil change, and is about to go away for the winter. Over the last 3000 miles, there was absolutely no noticed oil loss and the mechanic said there wasn't a drip anywhere in the engine bay. The PPI leakdown results were 95% and up for each cylinder. The car has 75k miles, I would be kicking myself beyond recognition if I blew an engine in this condition.

Timothymoffat: Thanks! The car truly is awesome. When I have some time I'll try to get some pictures up!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good way to put it, Phil.

I hit the limiter on the track. It feels like the car's stopping ignition to limit the revs. I think it's close to 7000 rpm.

It's very possible, blu, that you didn't rev it high enough to hit the limiter and the limiter is working fine.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was once with a friend of mine in his 993 at the track. The chip he had at the time was pushing the rev limiter to about 7200 rpm (that's what it felt/looked like from the passenger seat). The engine seemed to cope with it very well. IMHO, you would need to red line your car and downshift (instead of upshift) in order to do some damage. If I were you, I would definitely check that the stock chip is in there.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 PM
RS 197
Pro

Don't sweat it. These cars are made for it...

I say you find a country road and bounce it off the limiter for a few miles... Get used to what it feels like to drive these cars properly..

Car looks nice...
Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Not to hijack but, how about some pics of your (awesome) car.
Exactly what I was thinking! Let's see 'em.

I agree woth not worrying about the motor. I suppose you could get a leakdown and see if you really boogered the valves.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=blu_in_green;6005932] I'm pretty sure the previous owner said he put the stock chip back in when he bought it (I believe it had a aftermarket chip 2 owners ago). I'm curious as to informed majority here on Rennlist would do.QUOTE]

I remember worrying about the same thing when I updated my chip and trying to find that illusive rev limiter. Performance chips are designed to produce the maximum power and response over stock by altering the fuel and ignition parameters. Depending on the performance chip you have (if you actually have one) the rev limit will be raised to accommodate these performance number claimed by the chip manufacturer. If you are “pretty” sure you have a stock chip then I would double check what the PO slapped back in the control unit by checking it out. Nice car BTW.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't red line the rpm, beyond which continued operation may shorten engine life?

Quick Reply: So I accidentally went to 7000 RPM...