Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY clean of fuel injectors and required voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:02 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my injector rebuild kit from Mr Injector on Ebay for 18 bucks. I followed the directions on the DIY I posted and the feedback that I got from you guys above. I took some pictures of the setup that you may enjoy. I ended up using my motive bleeder to push alcohol at 5-10 psi through the injector and actuating the FI at 9v (thanks George) using a (on) off (on) toggle switch. I dipped the ends in ultrasonic cleaner and actuated the FI until the stream was nice and straight for all 6 injectors. I was surprised that I was not getting an atomized spray pattern, rather a straight stream similar to a water gun. Mr injector verified that this is how some FIs are designed. Anyway, the FIs in these cars are Bosch Type I.
Attached Images    
Old 11-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

To see the conical pattern indicating "atomized" fuel, the actual operating conditions have to be replicated: that's why I indicated a supply pressure near that of the fuel pump .... and a momentary contact switch such that the pintle can be rapidly pulsed: it is the oscillation of the pintle against its seat that helps create the pattern.
The ECU fires the injectors with a variable width square wave pulse at ~ a bazillion times per sec ... so you have to be pretty fast on a toggle switch ....

Good job on the cleaning!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:19 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default injectors

wow are times that lean to do it yourself?? do not be mad

i did send mine out and it came back with flow numbers before and after cleaning.

should you send them out i would buy the factory porsche o-rings that seal to intake housing, this was recommended as they have a general selection of oring and he stated it would be better to use the factory ones, the pintel cap and filter are no problem, standard.

i would send them out, you will not be able to duplicate the testing that they can provide.

also, after ultra cleaning they will back flush the injectors, this is the only way to make sure you are getting all the junk out. also they have the special filter removal tool so as not to damage the injectors.

work some overtime or donate blood to have it done professionally.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Dutch - good points. You see I have a sickness... Its called wanting to do everything myself! Im the only guy on the block that still cuts his own grass! Seriously, I wanted to do it just to learn more about the car. Never rebuilt a FI before.

Garth - you know I think you are right. When actuating the FI, I noticed the straight stream would fan a bit at the start and end of the pulse. If the FI was actuated in real world conditions, I could see in fanning more....
Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default sickness

do not feel bad i have that sickness too, if i had to drop the car off and them remove and reinstall that would be a differnet story. i do not like anyone touching my car if i can help it. i even take the wheels off for any tire work, and they still scratch the rims a little

but i left one thing out its not the lower oring that needs to be porsche but the upper that goes into the fuel rail. needs to be oem, do not want a leak there!!!

you could clean them yourself, pretty smart to use the motive bleeder, never thought of that one. just be careful using flammables and the battery/wires/sparks.

either way good luck to you.

i heard that the newer bosch injecters are all stainless steel inside and are self cleaning, what ever that means. i think what you need to clean is the exterior part of the injector near the end. it can distort the pattern.

when i sent mine out they were not off by much and after cleaning brought the values closer together. could email you the number if you like.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default grass

i cut the grass myself too, these lawn guys here will scalp and detroy sprinkler heads like its nothing. need to upgrade to self propelled, save my back for wifey

Quick Reply: DIY clean of fuel injectors and required voltage?