Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm selling my 1 of a kind Paint to Sample '95 993 Cab, want to offer rennlisters 1st

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Gino993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate your feedback, however I a assure you I am just as knowledgable about these cars as virtually anyone on here. To the poster who said the car has 964 Alloys, he is absolutely correct, and I know this. You will see that I noted the wheel design as C2 Cup Alloys which I'm pretty sure they were called like from a '91 Turbo on up and optional on '92-'94 cars. The car was not ordered with 17" from the factory and being that it was one of the earlier cars the selling dealer had received they still had a set of 17" 964 alloys on the showroom floor which ended up on this car. They are real factory made in Italy (By Speedline I beleive) alloys. Also, for a time in early US production 993's were not available with 17" from the factory because they were cracking windshields for some reason having to do with Porsche not using glue to mount them but some form of seal which was a running change. They went back to using glue as they always have and the problem was solved. But did very breifly affect the availability of factory 17". I have seen other cars made during the same month as this car with the correct 17" for a 993 so the problem was most likely sorted by then. As a matter of fact if you ever see a '95 on 18" you should be suspect. '96-'98 is not a problem because aparently they made some suspension changes enabling them to fit properly. Of course thats just me and uneducated dealer who is just trying to off a car. Any more questions?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 PM
sp250
Intermediate

MLK118S's, I think the problem here is that, although your e-mails in some ways have a sincere and even humble tone, they also seem to contain some heavy "spinning" which suggests that, contrary to what you say, you may not be acting as a dedicated enthusiast who is motivated to sell to another lover of 993's, but rather as a dealer -- hence the negative reactions.

You wrote that you would "never do such a thing" as refurbish the seats, which are obviously worn out. You are basically saying that you've adopting here a commitment to automotive originality, when it's more likely that you haven't wanted to go to the trouble or spend the money to fix the seats. Nothing wrong with trying to sell a car with ratty seats, but you probably shouldn't act like you're taking the "high road" by doing so.

Likewise you seemed to try to transform the posting of photos of a dirty car into an act of genuineness and virtue: "keep in mind that you are used to seeing cars that either dealers make look totally brand new to sell them, which I won't do. I think it's misrepresenting a car." In other words, cleaning up the car and making it look as good as possible for re-sale is a form of unethical behavior that you refuse to engage in. Just doesn't sound believable. Again, it seems like you're taking a problem with the car and spinning it so as to portray yourself as a man of high principles by not fixing it.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

I was wondering why this For Sale thread had hit three pages!

I dunno, guys, my douche bag meter is not slapping the high end of the scale. The seller seems to be taking the heat in pretty good stride, too. My $0.02.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

Again, I appreciate the comments. Let me say again, I have an inventory of about 100 vehicles at any given time. I have someone full time mechanic and guy who dedicated to paint touch up. Once a week someone who comes in to "treat/dye" leather, or other interior bits that need it. If this was a Jaguar, I would have dyed the seats. If this was a Chrysler, I would have done it. I'm not out to just save money as you seem to think. If I was trying to be a typical douchebag car dealer I would have detailed the hell out of the car and certainly NOT have put it on here and fed myself to the lions if I was not prepared to answer questions. I have plenty of other ways to sell cars, I don't need to do it on here. Personally as an enthusiast I like a car that is unique, I understand the color is not for everyone, it's not supposed to be. For those that want something a little different, this is a great alternative I happen to think, thats all.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I was wondering why this For Sale thread had hit three pages!

I dunno, guys, my douche bag meter is not slapping the high end of the scale. The seller seems to be taking the heat in pretty good stride, too. My $0.02.

+1 I just read this entire thread and considered not just the milage but the age and the interior is not great but appropriate. I also have to say that the seller has kept his cool-I don't understand the venom. Just my .02
Old 11-16-2008, 03:38 PM
RS 197
Pro

The car looks great...

Some people on here have nothing better to do.

The car is worth around $33k... The economy might not be ready for it, but the car looks fine.

When you guy's go off on a guy all it does is limit the number of people that want to post their cars for sale...

I for one love the oportunity to read about cars for sale on RL. Most of them are good cars with clean history sold by good people...

Let it rest...

Thanks for posting your car, I like the color and I know I have as much knowledge about these cars as anyone on this site....

Good luck with the sale., I would post it on the classifieds. I read them daily.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:01 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
The car looks great...

The car is worth around $33k... The economy might not be ready for it, but the car looks fine.

When you guy's go off on a guy all it does is limit the number of people that want to post their cars for sale...

I for one love the oportunity to read about cars for sale on RL. Most of them are good cars with clean history sold by good people...

Let it rest...

Thanks for posting your car, I like the color and I know I have as much knowledge about these cars as anyone on this site....

Good luck with the sale., I would post it on the classifieds. I read them daily.
+1
Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
The car looks great...

Let it rest...

+1
I don't know why anybody bothers posting a car for sale here anymore, when they're just subjecting themselves to the "Creditability Police". Just post it in the RL classifieds and be done with it.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 486 Posts

A couple things. Might I suggest getting the seats redyed, replacing the horrid aftermarket speaker grilles with stock ones, and fixing the carpet to make the interior look "right." I'd also find a set of Cup II wheels and see about the top. So far, you seem to have been up front about the car and if these issues were addressed, I think the car would be much easier to sell. Some people think that just because a couple cars have sold at very low prices that ALL cars should follow suit. Good luck with the sale.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MLK seems to be pretty upfront. He's been a lurker for four years, I don't think he joined in '04 just to be able to sell a car here four years down the line. Give him a break.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

To those who have backed me up I sincerely do appreciate it. Prior to selling the car I will have it detailed properly. The carpets are a little dirty, and I took the drivers side floor mat out because I don't like them. It's currently placed over the passenger side factory mat. As for the speaker grilles, I'm not a huge fan either, but they actually pretty expensive speakers and a hell of a lots better then stock, It's loud and very clear even with the top down. I'm not going to really change anything, asside from cleaning it up a little better. As for the incorrect wheels, so what? I personally would rather have actual Porsche alloys then any of these aftermarket chrome oversized wheels that lots of people today seem to love. Techincally they are not totally incorrect for this car, some did in fact have these from the factory, very rarely, but some did. Someone will make me an offer for the car the way it is and do with it what they will. This is a car for driving, not a sitting, when you actually use cars everyday as I have used this one, they get dirty. A good detail goes a long way. If its away being detailed, I wouldn't be able to drive it I suppose as a dealer I am more used to seeing cars in thier normal as used state then most people on here. I would rather see an honest car and what it looks like and judge for myself what needs to be done, then one that is totally overdone for photos as is common practice which only disappoints in real life. Anyone who has ever looked at cars online then gone to see them and not purchased know exactly what I mean.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by mlk118s
Both seats have a little bit of wear, which most dealers just dye, personally I think they give the car character and would never do such a thing. .
If I'm looking to buy a 993, I would much rather have a car that's been impeccably detailed including cleaning the carpets. I 'd prefer that the beat up old grey floor mats were replaced with brand new ones (usually less than $100 for the set of 4), and if there's alot of wear on the seat bolsters where the white is coming through, I'd much rather see it uniformly dyed to look newer and nicer.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on the sale.

Steve
Old 11-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by mlk118s
To those who have backed me up I sincerely do appreciate it. Prior to selling the car I will have it detailed properly. The carpets are a little dirty, and I took the drivers side floor mat out because I don't like them. It's currently placed over the passenger side factory mat. As for the speaker grilles, I'm not a huge fan either, but they actually pretty expensive speakers and a hell of a lots better then stock, It's loud and very clear even with the top down. I'm not going to really change anything, asside from cleaning it up a little better. As for the incorrect wheels, so what? I personally would rather have actual Porsche alloys then any of these aftermarket chrome oversized wheels that lots of people today seem to love. Techincally they are not totally incorrect for this car, some did in fact have these from the factory, very rarely, but some did. Someone will make me an offer for the car the way it is and do with it what they will. This is a car for driving, not a sitting, when you actually use cars everyday as I have used this one, they get dirty. A good detail goes a long way. If its away being detailed, I wouldn't be able to drive it I suppose as a dealer I am more used to seeing cars in thier normal as used state then most people on here. I would rather see an honest car and what it looks like and judge for myself what needs to be done, then one that is totally overdone for photos as is common practice which only disappoints in real life. Anyone who has ever looked at cars online then gone to see them and not purchased know exactly what I mean.
you are in a NO win. If you made the car perfect, and your price was TOO high, you would hear from the price gurus.....if you don't spend enough making the car perfect......you here from the price gurus, that the car is not perfect, and you are asking too much, but if you spent the $$ making the car perfect, then you are hiding something!!.......and the price is still too high!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 210 Posts

Gotta love the 993 forum

Quick Reply: I'm selling my 1 of a kind Paint to Sample '95 993 Cab, want to offer rennlisters 1st