993 Forum 1995-1998

Speedometer Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 PM
James K
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer Calibration

So I bought a beautiful, new set of aluminum gauges from a fellow rennlister and just got around to getting the odometer set and put them in the car. They look great in the car and it appeared that everything was working perfectly as I set off on a trip through western Virginia. About 50 miles into my trip, a set of flashing blue lights behind me suggested that perhaps one of my gauges wasn't working as well as I thought it was. The end result was a lovely speeding ticket.

The next week I took the car in to a speedometer shop to check the accuracy of the speedometer and sure enough it was a wee bit off. With the speedometer reading 60mph, the car is actually traveling at 69.7mph. Opps. And traveling at faster speeds it only gets worse. When I asked the shop about getting the speedometer calibrated they sort of chuckled at me and said they couldn't do it for me. Any thoughts from you all on where to go and what to do? The shop recommended talking to a dealer and we all know that that's always the last resort. I've searched the board about calibrating speedometers and haven't found too much and that most people just live with a slightly inaccurate speedometer. But mine seems to be severely inaccurate. I do have 18" wheels with fairly low profile tires but I think the difference is more than just a large wheel size. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:59 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try giving these guys a call:

http://www.paspeedo.com/

No affilation but they've rebuilt a couple of gauges for me and do top drawer work. My guess is they can help you out.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:34 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes...mine is dead nuts to the GPS.

Tire size or anything?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default speedo

North Hollywood works on 993 instruments:

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

My speedo is pretty well bang on with my GPS.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Calibration