Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS DAS rollbar (993 Sunroof Coupe)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:47 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default FS DAS rollbar (993 Sunroof Coupe)

For sale is my 993 DAS rollbar, purchased less than 1 year ago. The bar is powder coated black with welded harness guide loops and welded Brey Krause seat-back brace mounts. Installation hardware included.

The bar costs $995 direct from CDOC, plus $150 ($75/ea) for seat-back brace mounts and $300 ($150/ea) for the Brey Krause braces. Then add on the cost of welding and powder coating...

The I/O port camera mount is not included in the sale (I just got lazy and didn't have time to remove it for the pictures).

I'm asking $800 for the bar alone ($1000 and I'll throw in the BK seat back braces as well). I'm going to give preference to anyone willing to pick-up locally (Philly burbs). I'll also assist with installation for any local buyers. Payment will be expected within 24 hours via Paypal.
Attached Images     
Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Glen - going with a cage...?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:53 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

If I can sell the rollbar... I've got a tentative appt at Piper motorsports outside D.C. later this month.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
If I can sell the rollbar... I've got a tentative appt at Piper motorsports outside D.C. later this month.
WHAT!! Are you going to race? Why the cage? I'm interested in the Braces if they are available?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Well, in preparation for the body work that's scheduled this friday, I had to remove the seats, bar and the rear interior panels. Once I got started, I just got a bit overly enthusiastic (see photos). Now, there's no turning back.

I'm definitely not ready to race yet... but I may try my hand at time trialing next season. It was a perfect time to do the cage, while everything is gutted and since we're already going to be doing some paintwork.

I did get a rule clarification from the PCA scruts regarding interior panels, and it appears that they are okay with removing the rear deck and quarter trim panels as long as they are all covered with carpeting.

Initially, I tried to remove all that gunky adhesive (what a PITA). The pictures reflect about 8 hours of work. I figure it would take at least another 8 hours to get the remainder of the adhesive off (but I threw in the towel and bought an appbiz carpet kit last week).
Attached Images    
Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Piper is a great choice. I am really happy with my cage and their work, although I have yet to test the integrity. Let us know what they do with the sunroof. I've seen one pretty cool solution from them and am curious if they have any other tricks up their sleeve.

Are you going with NASCAR bars?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Despite the fact that I've committed to sacrificing this car to the track gods.... I still want to retain my window mechanism. I'm going with x-bars and cup-car style gussets. They had an interesting proposition regarding the sunroof, which essentially involved gutting the mechanism, removing the panel, and then pop-rivetting an aluminum panel onto the roof. I'd like to keep a relatively stockish appearance to the exterior and wasn't sure that the PCA scrutes would approve of the non-stock panel, so I'm having them gut the sunroof and then weld the stock panel back in place. Everything else should be based on the set-up they did for you.

I couldn't tell from your photos, what did you do for seat back braces (brey krause, or did they fab something for you)? Also, wondering how hard it will be to get the seats out after the cage is in. I want to install a carpet kit and was wondering if it would be best to do before or after the cage goes in.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:39 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 578 Posts

For sale is my 993 DAS rollbar, purchased less than 1 year ago. The bar is powder coated black with welded harness guide loops and welded Brey Krause seat-back brace mounts. Installation hardware included.

The bar costs $995 direct from CDOC, plus $150 ($75/ea) for seat-back brace mounts and $300 ($150/ea) for the Brey Krause braces. Then add on the cost of welding and powder coating...
<snip>
bump

nice hardware
fair price.

good luck.

Craig
Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite the fact that I've committed to sacrificing this car to the track gods.... I still want to retain my window mechanism. I'm going with x-bars and cup-car style gussets. They had an interesting proposition regarding the sunroof, which essentially involved gutting the mechanism, removing the panel, and then pop-rivetting an aluminum panel onto the roof. I'd like to keep a relatively stockish appearance to the exterior and wasn't sure that the PCA scrutes would approve of the non-stock panel, so I'm having them gut the sunroof and then weld the stock panel back in place. Everything else should be based on the set-up they did for you.

I couldn't tell from your photos, what did you do for seat back braces (brey krause, or did they fab something for you)? Also, wondering how hard it will be to get the seats out after the cage is in. I want to install a carpet kit and was wondering if it would be best to do before or after the cage goes in.
Awesome project Glen . I have been following your progress.

As for the carpet, I can only imagine you would have to do that afterwards. I can't see how welding a cage is possible with the mats in place (??). But you might want to test fit the mats first just to pin-point the areas where the cage is going through the mat (where you need to cut holes). I think that part would be challenging with the cage already fitted.. Or are you not welding?

I want to know more about the sunroof delete solution. I would think weling the stock panel back in place after gutting the mechanism would make for a much cleaner install. AFAIK, it would look just like a sunroof deleted car from the outside? I have heard that the real weight does not sit in the mechanism itself, but in the inner structure of the roof with all the sliders etc. So a lot of gutting involved (messy job) if you really want to save weight.

Moreover, did they come up with an estimated pricetag for the sunroof delete? How many labour hours required? I assume you would also replace the headliner while you are at it?

Looking forward to the final result
Old 11-05-2008, 03:18 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Piper is a great choice. I am really happy with my cage and their work, although I have yet to test the integrity.
I hope you never have to test it......................ZP44
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm interested in the sunroof delete $. Myself
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Glen,

-I have the B-K seatback brace. Piper just welded it on.

-I can easily get my seats in and out of the cage and have done so more times than I care to remember.

-Unless your carpet is grey, I'd leave the OEM stuff in after having ripped out as much insulation as possible. I did exactly that before the car went to Piper. How much weight will the RS carpeting save? Since racing is on your horizon, just realize that the weight will have to go back in, even if the RS carpet saves avoirdupois.

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
I hope you never have to test it......................ZP44
Thanks! Me, too!!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
....just realize that the weight will have to go back in, even if the RS carpet saves...
If weight goes back in it can be put is a place w/ the least negative consequences, low and centered
between the wheels
Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
If weight goes back in it can be put is a place w/ the least negative consequences, low and centered
between the wheels
(I had a feeling I should have addressed the weight distribution issue at the outset, but I got lazy.)

I know, Bill, but, really, how much weight are we talking about here and how much of a difference will distributing it really make in terms of a tangible difference in lap times? I would guess, and it's just a guess, that even if you could save a whopping eight pounds (amd that would be extremely generous) of carpet weight (no insulation) six inches above the floorpan, I submit that that weight difference, even if you were to move it to the nose of the car (keep in mind that PCA requires all ballast to reside in the driver/passenger compartment of the car, so, realistically, you would be moving the eight pounds six inches lower and maybe two feet further forward at best), would not make a difference in lap times at the level of driving that the average club racer is doing. Heck, I would find it hard to believe that Patrick Long or Wolf Henzler would be able to turn better lap times in a car that has had that weight distributed in this way.

I say this because there have been many times that I have thrown in a 30 or 60 lb sandbag as ballast for an enduro where I knew I was going to be near empty at the end. In case I am weighed by the scrutes, I wanted to make sure that I could make weight. My lap times either did not suffer one bit or even got better. I sure could not tell a difference in handling with the extra 30/60 lbs. (Obviously, I'm just a wannabe club racer. I'm a decent driver, certainly not the next Alain Prost, but have gotten some fairly respectable results after having been coached by Chris Cervelli.)
Old 11-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting post count Ninjabones (666). You've got mail.

Quick Reply: FS DAS rollbar (993 Sunroof Coupe)