993 Forum 1995-1998

Spanner Wrench size/source?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spanner Wrench size/source?

I had an intermittent rough feeling from my right rear (car, not my behind). Thought I was losing a bearing, but when I got under there I noticed my roll bar drop link mount was within a millimeter of my axle. Could see where it was touching occasionally from the score. Can't rotate it without a spanner wrench.

Anyone know what size spanner wrench I'd need for a Bilstein HD lock ring? Or where I can get? Just save me the trouble of measuring and/or looking....

Thanks.
Dave
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by black ice
I had an intermittent rough feeling from my right rear (car, not my behind). Thought I was losing a bearing, but when I got under there I noticed my roll bar drop link mount was within a millimeter of my axle. Could see where it was touching occasionally from the score. Can't rotate it without a spanner wrench.

Anyone know what size spanner wrench I'd need for a Bilstein HD lock ring? Or where I can get? Just save me the trouble of measuring and/or looking....

Thanks.
Dave
Dave,
I'll gladly send my set of Bilstein wrenches - just respond via email with your address: aowalter@comcast.net

Andreas
Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a set of universal spanners at Harbor Freight when I got my H&R's (bilsten shocks). The seller never sent me the wrenches and I had no way to finish the install. They work OK and will do in a pinch, but might just be the most expensive thing HF carries! I could not find them anywhere else (HD, sears, lowes, advanced/pepboys/autozone, etc)

I'll send them to you if you want (i'm in FL, shipping time may be less than from Andreas), or we could meet half way (orlando) tomorrow or any time this week. I work from home so its no big deal for me.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Was it the right side that came loose?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bilstein in SoCal will send wrenches. They were fast on shipping for me when I had 1off racecar bilsteins on my RSX. But I am pretty local.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty common problem. The spanner wrenches never really get the lock-rings tight enough. You can use a brass tap to loosen and tighten the lock rings.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CW, The fool thing is still tight! I recall setting those about a month after I got the car with suspension at full droop, and don't think I would've tightened that drop link mount that close to the sway. It is the right side. There's a possibility it shifted (or got hit) on my backwards spinning offroad excursion about six months ago.

Good idea Glen, let me try a brass tap this weekend before troubling with the spanner then.

Andreas/Justin, thanks a whole lot for the offer. Andreas, I'll give you a holler for the wrenches if I'm unsuccessful. BTW, that shifter linkage should arrive to you via USPS this coming Monday or sooner.

Dave

PS - I tell my friends that there were folks on the forum ready and willing to just send me their tools; they were all very impressed. My buddy said, "that's how the internet community is supposed to work." He's right.

Quick Reply: Spanner Wrench size/source?