Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filler Flap Adjustment - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008 | 07:47 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Default Filler Flap Adjustment - Help!

So the flap that covers the gas tank has become mis-aligned. i.e. its about one or two eighths of an inch too far forward when closed.

So, when I pull the release catch, it doesn't pop open, and I notice its starting to foul on the body work.

So the question is... is this robust enough for me to give it some physical encouragement to bend the hinge so it will fit flush again. I don't want to break this.

Whats weird, it was fine before I took it in for service... grrr.

Still I know from the service records, that this was out of shape previously, and the prev. owner had to get this looked at before. I am guessing its been lent on when open (some years ago).

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Phil
Old 10-27-2008 | 07:50 PM
Arena993
Race Car

If you are talking about the metal gas door there are three small nuts (7mm I think) Loosen those and adjust in any direction.

Mike

EDIT: If the arm that holds on the metal gas door is bent. Remove the lid via the bolts and try to bend back down. I guess I am trying to understand what is misaligned.
Old 10-27-2008 | 11:40 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

I'm with Mike. Please clarify. When the flap door is closed is the gap to the fender even all around?
It's the hinge/bracket that snaps into the catch. If that became bent towards the rear of the car it
would tighten into the catch causing it to hang up when you try to release it.
Old 10-28-2008 | 02:11 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I am talking about the metal gas door.

The fit of this is to the fender is not equal all the way around, and its too close, specifically on the end nearest the front of the car; in fact because of this poor fit, it sticks (i.e. flap on fender), and is no longer popping open when I pull the cable release.

I'll try adjust these three nuts to reposition the flap itself (if I've understood correctly), and see if this works as you suggest. I think the catch mechanism is working OK and releasing. Will check that out, and confirm.

Thanks!

Phil
Old 10-28-2008 | 03:01 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Yes adjust the three nuts an move forward (toward the windshield). You can stand over the gas door with the driver's door open and pull on the gas door release. When you pull on the gas door release close the gas door this way it won't lock in position. Check the gap all the way around, once the fitment is good go ahead and tighten the nuts. Very easy to do. If you need any further help send me a PM with your number and I'll walk you through it. I have done this numerous times.

mike

Quick Reply: Filler Flap Adjustment - Help!