Sponsored by:

Build is complete (gratuitous pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

Jeff, sorry to see the mess. Glad you are ok.

Bill, how about a part number on the RS/CS hood prop and hardware? Thanks.
Gert has the kits, pretty reasonably priced too

And are these okay to use with a stock steel hood?
yes
Old 11-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff,

Man... I am so sorry to see that! Take a deep breath and get to work putting it back together... It's only steel and aluminum... Just be thankful YOU are ok!

Best of luck!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
RS chin spoilers
993.505.525.01 /L
993.505.523.01 /C
993.505.526.01 /R
Wow! Thanks for the picture!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

I am so glad that my friend's computer won't allow me to load the pictures of your car because I'd be sick. I am so sorry about the damage to your car. I hope you can find a really good body shop, like a restoration garage, who can do impeccable work.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Nevermind. The pics loaded after all. I'm gonna be sick...
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Been there... done that. I know exactly how you feel. It's hearbreaking. Bright side is that you have all winter to source used parts and get her back into shape by next season.

Despite the appearance, my "incident" at the Glen turned out to be primarily cosmetic (and some tweeked suspension bits). The rubber tire-wall marks polished out nicely. I was in a bit of a rush as it was mid season, but I ended up only having to buy a few new parts (front fender $1400 ouch!), but found used front bumper and decklid (in polar silver) from a guy locally for $500, sourced all the suspension components from a local guy who had upgraded to ERP links and Evo uprights on a low mileage 1996 993. I bought the entire suspension for $1,000, used the left side parts and and then sold what I didn't use for $500; found a rear corner light on ebay, headlight from rennlist, and then a few conveniently located race stickers... and I was back in the game (2 weeks later).

While the suspension was disassembled, I had monoballs pressed into all the rear links, upgraded to Tarrett adjustable rear toe links, added solid undercarriage mounts, solid tranny mount, and Wevo semisolid engine mounts. The guys at JIC were incredible to work with, as they overnighted me a new shock two days before my next event when we discovered that the adjustment **** had seized.

I took a lot of crap all season with the "phantom of the opera" car (looked great from one side and appalling from the other), but she runs better than ever.

Now that the season is over, I have time to get her back to her former glory (and begin phase III of upgrades). Finally have the body shop appointment to have the rear quarter fixed, elected to buy a new rear bumper (euro bumperrette delete from DPS), and will have the left fender and quarter and rear bumper painted. Will also fill in the bumperrette holes on the front bumper and delete the washer nozzles. Have an appt with Piper for later this month for full cage and sunroof delete.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ninjabones; 11-04-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

really sorry to see this...hopefully you will repair the car and go back out. My car looked much worse than yours and the damage was sheetmetal and suspension. These cars are really strong and the way the suspension gives protects the chassis from twisting. Good luck, it sucks for sure but its part of our hobby...
Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 AM
bart1
Race Car

yes
I was worried that the weight of the steel hood might cause it it warp over time. Those CF props from Seine Systems look like a good option. I am sure the OEM RS prop is crazy expensive. I'll check with Sunset on it unless you want to give an estimate, Bill. Or part numbers?

Thanks.

-Bart
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Ouch x2...
At least everyone is OK.
Nothing sadder than an armco shaped 993 fender... except maybe a tire wall-colored one.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

I've got to find another hobby
Old 11-04-2008, 11:47 AM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

I've got to find another hobby
+993!
I don't think I have the stomach to deal with this.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Those are some very hard pictures to look at. In this sport, it doesn't take much to wreck a car. Not wrecking is a bit of skill and a lot of luck.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:38 PM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

hell no!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Been there... done that. I know exactly how you feel. It's hearbreaking. Bright side is that you have all winter to source used parts and get her back into shape by next season.

Despite the appearance, my "incident" at the Glen turned out to be primarily cosmetic (and some tweeked suspension bits). The rubber tire-wall marks polished out nicely. I was in a bit of a rush as it was mid season, but I ended up only having to buy a few new parts (front fender $1400 ouch!), but found used front bumper and decklid (in polar silver) from a guy locally for $500, sourced all the suspension components from a local guy who had upgraded to ERP links and Evo uprights on a low mileage 1996 993. I bought the entire suspension for $1,000, used the left side parts and and then sold what I didn't use for $500; found a rear corner light on ebay, headlight from rennlist, and then a few conveniently located race stickers... and I was back in the game (2 weeks later).

While the suspension was disassembled, I had monoballs pressed into all the rear links, upgraded to Tarrett adjustable rear toe links, added solid undercarriage mounts, solid tranny mount, and Wevo semisolid engine mounts. The guys at JIC were incredible to work with, as they overnighted me a new shock two days before my next event when we discovered that the adjustment **** had seized.

I took a lot of crap all season with the "phantom of the opera" car (looked great from one side and appalling from the other), but she runs better than ever.

Now that the season is over, I have time to get her back to her former glory (and begin phase III of upgrades). Finally have the body shop appointment to have the rear quarter fixed, elected to buy a new rear bumper (euro bumperrette delete from DPS), and will have the left fender and quarter and rear bumper painted. Will also fill in the bumperrette holes on the front bumper and delete the washer nozzles. Have an appt with Piper for later this month for full cage and sunroof delete.
WOW !!! Ouch...
How did you fix the rear quarter?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

To get me through the season, we pretty much hammered the quarter back into shape and epoxied and primed it. For a race car, I could have kept it as is and been fine, but she is my baby and I just couldn't stand to see her in this condition for too long. Now that the season is over, I'm having a new Porsche OEM quarter panel welded on this Friday. I decided not to cut any corners on this part of th repair... having a very high end body shop (Brandywine Coachworks in West Chester) do the work and paint. I was able to work out a deal with them as I did all the prep work myself (gutted the interior, etc).

However, you would be amazed at what some paintless dent repair guys can due to the body panels. If you're not looking for concourse quality, give that a try first. The front fenders are an easy bolt on deal, so I'd probably replace them, but the rear quarters are a real PITA to replace and for your race car, I'd probably do everything possible to avoid replacing them.

Quick Reply: Build is complete (gratuitous pictures)