Sponsored by:

Build is complete (gratuitous pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:16 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Nice job! I'm starting phase III myself (spent the weekend pulling the seats, rollbar, and got about 1/2 the carpeting/sound deadening foam out... what a PITA)

Do you have the part # for the cup heater bypass? Did you do the RS carpet install yourself (how difficult was it)? Also, did you dye or replace the center console and other tan interior panels (rear deck, etc)?

Agreed the carpet removal was a total PITA... That glue is some nasty stuff. The carpet install was pretty straight forward once you figure out where all the pieces go. I spent a solid afternoon fitting and refitting before I sprayed any glue and in the end still got a few pieces wrong. PM me if you get stuck, Ill be happy to take some picutes.

As far as the console and hand brake, since its a track car I just dyed the them. The vinyl console took the dye very well, but I imagine the handbrake will wear pretty quickly.

I got the heater bypass from Carnewal because neither my local dealer no I could find the part number. I just went digging through my pile of recipts looking for the invoice to see it it was listed and I cant find that invoice. Two pieces of advice on this one though... 1) By importing directly from Belgium you become an importer, and Uncle Sam has about $50 worth of fees for you. 2) You also need the 964 fan shroud, the outlet is slightly offset from the 993.

Best of luck
Jeff
Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
Oh sorry, I wasn't very clear. I am actually referring to the non-club sport splitters as you have. There is a teensy tiny filler piece in between the non-club sport splitters that the guy at Sunset said he doesn't sell often. You don't need it because it's not as integrated to the splitters as the CS spoiler does. I'll try and post a pic of the electronic parts catalog. It's part #12, and below, you can see an exploded view of the parts for the club sport setup. Unfortunately, this is a snapshot of the parts guy's computer, and the part number for #12 was cut off. You can see that it is MUCH smaller than the center piece for the CS splitter, which is #3.
Ahh.... I forgot about that piece.... My last car, I bought the complete RS "kit" through Porsche and you are 100% correct... There is a little rubber bumper that goes underneath. I always assumed it was some sort of a bumper (protection bar) or reinforcment, but am interested that Porsche calls it a spoiler... that implies it has some aero effects.... It’s just a little bar that gets riveted to the bottom of the nose. If memory serves there is an existing plastic strip that it replaces..
Old 10-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Ahh.... I forgot about that piece.... My last car, I bought the complete RS "kit" through Porsche and you are 100% correct... There is a little rubber bumper that goes underneath. I always assumed it was some sort of a bumper (protection bar) or reinforcment, but am interested that Porsche calls it a spoiler... that implies it has some aero effects.... It’s just a little bar that gets riveted to the bottom of the nose. If memory serves there is an existing plastic strip that it replaces..
Oh, thanks! So it's just a non-painted piece? I can see why nobody buys it. Thanks a lot for the clarification. Also, good call on the "importer" advice. Thankfully, Sunset can get the parts, although they are a month away, but that's fine as I will be starting the project while my car is in storage.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

please post any pics of the carpet install
Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
WOW- nice looking setup! Have any detailed shots of the battery kill switch on the front cowl (doing this now to my car).
Sorry this has taken awhile to post the pic... but here is a close up from outside... I tried to get one from underneath and just couldn’t get the camera in there... its just way too tight. As I mentioned, its a very tight fit and almost impossible to get your hand in to hold the mounting nuts. After much trial and error and cursing I finally had the bright idea to hot meld glue the nuts to the bottom of the switch (no holding necessary). The other show stopper is the hood shock and air conditioning lines are in the way and need to be removed. The other thing to be careful of is how far back you mount it... I lucked out, with the hood fully open it just barely touched the key, any closed to the edge and I would have had problems...

Last edited by jscott82; 03-19-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info - it is helpful. The only thing I dont have to worry about is the hood shocks (CF Hood) and AC system (gone). Again, I love the looks of your car.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

please post any pics of the carpet install

Again sorry for the delay getting these taken (been a busy couple of days)...

With the seats and everything in the car I couldn’t get a good wide shot showing it all. Let me know if there is a specific area you want to see, I can get some detail shots... A couple of key sticking point that I remember:

The "U" shaped piece goes behind the console, in order to find the proper position you need to get the tunnel pieces in place (but not glued)

The drivers tunnel piece has a wear panel built in, this is a good way to position it...( you will notice I messed this up. I had the "U" piece already in and had to hold the tunnel piece back)

(Please ignore the poor cutout around the cage... not one of my better moments)

Last edited by jscott82; 03-19-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to bed Jeff ... you have a L-O-N-G weekend ahead ...
Old 10-30-2008, 12:42 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
Go to bed Jeff ... you have a L-O-N-G weekend ahead ...

I feel like a kid on x-mas eve...... I guess i will go to bed and stare at the ceiling...
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Jeff:

I'm getting conflicting information regarding the PCA racing rule requirements concerning the rear interior trim panels. Here is the rule:

"I. Interiors, with the exception of seats (which may be replaced, not removed) and the panels affected by
the installation of the roll bar or roll cage, must be as delivered by the factory. Additional gauges may
be added but the stock dash must be retained. Any rear view mirror is allowed."

How do the scruts view the removal of the rear deck and quarter trim pieces. Perhaps some of the guys currently running in G can comment on this and whether they require the rear speaker shelf and side/rear quarter trim pieces be kept intact. From your pic, it appears that you removed these pieces. It certainly would be nice if I don't have to re-install these pieces after my extensive "weight loss" program this week.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:13 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

When I got into the pits I could not move the stick left or right (only fore and aft), no warning, noise, or anything.

You could always sit in the car, make engine sounds and row the stick fore & aft - pretending that your 993 has a sequential-shift gearbox.....

I may be across the street for Thanksgiving and would love to give the car a good look-see.

Andreas
Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
... Did you buy the little spoiler that goes in the gap in between the two splitters? I got a quote from Sunset Porsche on the parts, and they sent me a pic from the Porsche electronic parts catalog, which shows the little spoiler. The parts guy said that he usually just sells the splitters only.
RS chin spoilers
993.505.525.01 /L
993.505.523.01 /C
993.505.526.01 /R
Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff, very nice! I love white
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you have the part # for the cup heater bypass?....

993.211.341.41 hot air elbow M003993RS/CS

you also need to use
964.106.403.02 duct(top of the shroud)
Old 10-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

...The other show stopper is the hood shock and air conditioning lines are in the way and need to be removed. ...
You want to use an RS/CS hood prop anyway, don't you.
RS/CS hood prop

installed(not in mine yet) hope it's ok to post this Mike?

Quick Reply: Build is complete (gratuitous pictures)