Sponsored by:

Alarm - Locking problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:49 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Alarm - Locking problem

I have read hundreds of the posts for the alarm/immobilizer and now understand how many people have had issues. I did not see what I am experiencing though.

It started a couple of months ago where I was having problems opening and or locking the car with the remote. I thought it was the battery so I changed it, cleaned the contacts... but that was not it. We ended up replacing the remote and that seemed to take care of things...

Not so fast - there is a secondary issue. Now when I turn the engine off, pull the key from the ignition and open the driver door - the door chime goes off and I am unable to lock/set the alarm using the remote. The weird thing is that sometimes I open the door and it is fine, other times it chimes two or three times, and other times it takes a while opening and closing doors, restarting the car, swearing and beating on the steering wheel - and then miraculously it stops and I am able to close the door and lock it.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the door-switch(es) in the door jamb. Sounds like an intermittent electrical problem that has its roots in a mechanical problem.

Seriously, peel back or remove the 'rubber cover' on the spring-loaded switch (level with your shin but in the door jamb) and give it a good flushing with WD-40. Manually press it in and let it spring back several times to make sure it's working properly.

Gerry
Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the door jam switch is working because the chime goes off when you open the door.

Maybe the ignition switch still thinks the key is in the ignition? That would explain the chime and it could be intermittent. Starting the car (key back in), opening and closing the doors, beating on the steering wheel all could possibly jar the contact.

But I thought the doors would lock with the remote even if the key is in the ignition?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Good point... I will have to test the premise that the car will lock with the key in the ignition.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 384 Posts

I know you don't want to hear this...but it very well could be the immobilizer control unit. Just like control units, over time contacts begin to separate and/or break for no apparent reason. We've replaced 2 over the past couple years. They work sometimes, don't other times. A real pain in the neck....

We sell a lot of 928's too, that one day the car starts, the next it doesn't, the next it does.... always becomes the LH unit.

Another check would be to take it to the dealer and have them completely reset it. Kinda like rebooting your computer... Just a thought.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

I don't think it has anything to do with the ignition - the doors will lock using the remote even if the key is in the ignition.

The chime normally goes off if the lights are left on or a turn signal is on. You can't lock the car in that situation. Maybe a bad connection or oxidation somewhere in these parts?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:14 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the problem may be in the ignition switch. It is no longer registering when you pull the key out thereby allowing the door to chime as if the key is still in the ignition.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Yes - it is acting - chiming - (intermittently) as though the key is still in the ignition. I did try to see what happens if I were to leave the key in the ignition and use the remote to lock/arm - It works when the key is in.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:57 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Update for this morning. Car started fine - drove to work. Parked the car, shut off the ignition, pulled the key from the ignition, opened the door and the chime went off... and continued. Could not get it to stop this time. If I activate the remote - the alarm lights on the doors flash fast. It is now sitting in the garage unlocked. Great.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 291 Posts

I tend to agree w/cdmdriver. Have you tried squirting a little electric contact cleaner into the key opening of the ign. sw.? Or perhaps apply a little powdered graphite on the ignition key and see if that doesn't help. Could just be a gummed up lock mechanism.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:42 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Just left my mechanic and he feels it may well be the ignition switch as well. It is the original ignition so it has had a lot of use. I will try the contact cleaner and some powdered graphite - can't hurt.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default locking problem

I use Miracle Mist for my ignition switch, and in all my locks. Amazing stuff. My locksmith put me on to it.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:49 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 291 Posts

Rinty-Tell us more about "Miracle Mist". Who makes it? Where can it be purchased? Inquiring mind want to know! "GOOGLING", I found a bunch of products with that name: Carpet cleaners, cosmetic, pet products, etc.
p.s.: Nice cat! We have a 19 yr. old female Siamese...spoiled rotten! "Dogs have owners, cats have staff!"
Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Pan58
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that issue with the dinger going off after the key was pulled and door opened... it was the ignition switch put a little silicon lube on the key inserted it and rotated the switch back and forth a few times and repeated problem is gone now seems like it needed a little lube was sticking..
Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default locks

...where can [Miracle Mist] be purchased? TrackRat
You can only buy it by the case at the Fastener Centres in Canada. I buy a can at a time from my accomodating genius locksmith, Ernie. There is logo on the can that says "Kar Products." So it's probably not available in the U.S.

I would check with your locksmith to see what they are using to lube car locks. Or you can go to an electronic specialty store and look for a silicone spray that is safe for all plastics (some aren't).

Sorry I can't be of more help, but you should be able to find some good stuff. My locksmith is really picky about what he'll spray into car locks and ignition switches.

P.S. My BMW motorcycle tech uses a silicone spray made by Wurth.

Nice cat! TrackRat
Thanks. That's Shiloh. He's a Balinese, i.e. a Siamese with longer hair, as you know, I'm sure. He's a real fine boy boy. We had a young female Siamese for a few months, but she developed Feline Infectious Peritonitis, which is always fatal. That was tough. She was a lovely cat, too. My wife and I have had dogs all our lives, cats only the last two years, and I guess we're hooked now.

Last edited by Rinty; 10-26-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Alarm - Locking problem