Big Reds Overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008 | 07:56 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Bruce,

I respectfuly disagree.

Brakes and pads are SPECIFICALLY temperature sensitive.

Most brakes work MUCH better when within operaing spec.

Simon.
Old 10-22-2008 | 08:35 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Bruce,

I respectfuly disagree.

Simon.
That's what I was always told, too. I bring my VWs to a well-respected shop that has been around since the 70s, and they race VWs, and therefore have a racing perspective on much of what they do. A while back, they put pads on my Jetta that had more of a racing compound, and they REALLY sucked in the winter because they never got hot enough to work well in every day traffic. After several stops, they would work better. I had them changed out for a more street-style compound, and they worked so well, I had the Beetle switched to the same type. I run OEM 993 Turbo Big Reds and OEM Turbo discs with Hawk street pads, whereas before I was using Porterfields on both VWs. I definitely like the Hawks for daily use. I don't know what's on the 993 as I just bought the car and the pads were still good.
Old 10-22-2008 | 11:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Bruce,

I respectfuly disagree.

Simon.
Although I am not necessarily convinced that Boston911fan's incident could not have had the same results with small black brakes, I, too, agree that, depending on the previous temperatures of the brake pads, hotter pads might have offered better stopping power than coler pads, no matter the size of the caliper and rotor.
Old 10-23-2008 | 02:00 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Although I am not necessarily convinced that Boston911fan's incident could not have had the same results with small black brakes, I, too, agree that, depending on the previous temperatures of the brake pads, hotter pads might have offered better stopping power than coler pads, no matter the size of the caliper and rotor.
Oh I'm sure if I had little blacks on the Bug, I would have gotten similar results. As I said before, the Big Reds were pure indulgence. There are plenty of cheaper brake upgrades for the car that work well, but none of them look as pretty and do not get the same reaction when people see them on a VW. Just so you don't think I'm totally crazy, people have been putting Porsche stuff on VW since the 70s, and the two styling themes are officially called the "California look" and the "German look". I love air-cooled VWs, and wanted a "modern" California look for my car, which is why I chose modern 5-spoke wheels to pay respect to the Fuchs that you see on lots of old VWs. Here's a bad pic of me driving my car--it's the only one I have.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2008 | 02:50 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

There is an optimum temperature range for all friction materials like used in brake pads, clutch discs etc.

This is something I have learned a great deal about in racing. Too cold leads to no grip, too hot, grip or mu degrades. Carbon-carbon materials literally have no friction when cold.

We play around with different compounds all of the time. Some have better initial bite, some better deeper in braking zones even some with higher compressibility factor for bumpy street circuits.

In the end, there is a sweet spot in which friction materials like to live. Street or OEM products are engineered to work well cold or near cold and are quiet.

This is hot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66rhipiuR00
Old 10-24-2008 | 11:03 PM
Pan58
Instructor

I just did the conversion and money well spent I think they are worth the change
Old 10-25-2008 | 02:04 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Big Reds are Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! :D

FWIW, the PO had upgraded my 993 with them after supercharging the engine (Rocket C2 Cab.)! I don't track my car, but do drive the heck out of it, I haven't had to change the brake pads nor rotors yet (bought it in Summer of 2001) !

Quick Reply: Big Reds Overkill?