Sponsored by:

My passenger window is stuck shut.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My passenger window is stuck shut.

I did do a search before posting this. I don't understand how folks fix this with a new switch if both switches don't bring the window down. If my passenger window switch doesn't work, why won't the passenger switch on the driver's side work then? They can't have both died at the same time. When this happened last night, my driver's side window was also stuck down. It was a blown fuse in #4 slot. I replaced it and my driver's window went back up. But the passenger one is still stuck. What's up with this?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Not sure of the fix for your issue, but where the heck have you been?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Honestly, I haven't been doing much with my Porsche, so I haven't had a need to read up on tech issues in a long time. My 993 has been about as reliable and low-maint. as anything I've ever owned. I drove to Vegas and back this weekend and also just noticed some brake fluid drops on my valve bleeder caps. Wondering if this is from my last bleed or if something's leaking.

As for the window, I just swapped a bunch of relays around and they all work fine. Passenger window is dead, driver's window is fine and sunroof is fine, no matter how I juggle the relays around. How can this be a switch, if the other switch won't make it open either?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Rick, I think the window switches are in one continous circuit, so that if one goes down, the other one will not work. Todd B explained this to me a few weeks ago at the Summit Point club race.

Hope you've been well. Have you missed the DC humidity yet?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:47 AM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes my wife leaves the passenger switch jammed up. I notice when the passenger window switch on the driver's door won't work. I put the passenger door switch in the neutral position and then for some reason have to work the driver's side passenger switch up and down a few times before everything works again. Go figure.....
Old 10-20-2008, 01:51 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I understand, mostly what RL does these days is drive around the desert on a motorcycle and shoot at lizards.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:28 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, I just happen to have some new switches laying around. (I buy parts years in advance so it feels like a free fix when I actually need them.) I'll try changing the one on the passenger door. I think the ones on the driver door are about two years old.

But man, what the hell made the window fuse blow last night? That also killed my sunroof switch, into which my radar detector is hardwired. I got that working again today just in time for a VERY speedy drive back to Phoenix. However, traffic was so bad at Hoover Dam that I just turned my engine off and coasted a few miles downhill from Boulder City.

If any of you guys make it out this way, lemme know. This is the best place in the world for guns, bikes and Porsches. It's paradise.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:43 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a shot from yesterday when I was able to put both windows down.

And here's one from March on the way to my new life.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The switches are in series. If one of them is bad, neither work. I was having an issue with my px window, so I disconnected the switch. When it's disconnected, my driver's side won't work either.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice car and plate, btw.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the switches and take a look into the clusters that they plug into. There's a hinged top on those little boxes which allows you to view the wires and connections to the small female connectors. All you need is one bad connection and all is lost.
Had the same problem and inspected and wiggled the connectors. Didn't find a broken one but the exercise cured the dead window. I believe it was one in the passenger window connector on the driver's door.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I'll do it.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertBighorn
Sometimes my wife leaves the passenger switch jammed up. I notice when the passenger window switch on the driver's door won't work. I put the passenger door switch in the neutral position and then for some reason have to work the driver's side passenger switch up and down a few times before everything works again. Go figure.....
Ditto....

Went to replace one switch once THEN discovered the passenger door switch was not fully "neutral", still have a spare switch.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Just FYI, Mine stuck down once as I was pulling into a Gator game. What to do? I can't leave the window down during the game...Long story short, got the good driver window switch after that window was up, and switched it the passenger side. Viola! Both windows up. I now carry a spare switch in the bubble wrap with my spare DME relay...
Old 10-21-2008, 01:41 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

you may feel which switch is malfunctioning as the mechanism is not fully intact often. there is even a diy on how to fix these switches but in my opion it is only temporary, you are better to put a new one in. try the new switch on one side then if it doesn't work try the same switch on other that way you can determine which is the bad switch.

Quick Reply: My passenger window is stuck shut.