Sponsored by:

Texas Registration Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Texas Registration Questions

I am moving to Texas at the end of the month and will be either driving or shipping my car when I make certain I have the garage space.
The problem I have is that I so far cannot get my OBDII to reset for reading by driving here in St. Louis.
St. Louis provides NO way to do actual emissions readings - the ONLY way to pass is via the OBDII.
I was planning on driving the car to TX - however, having been stopped already once (today!) for expired plates, the last thing I want to do is make a 700 mi drive and get stopped over and over through southwestern MO, OK, and north TX if I cannot get re-registered by the end of next week.

So here's the question: Do they have actual emissions reading avail in Tarrant County (Fort Worth), TX?
What else is involved to "import" a car with expired registration into TX?

Any help is appreciated.

(Of note, I just wanted to thank the Brentwood, MO police officer who "let me go THIS time" - my story probably seemed strange, but I haven't had more than a parking ticket since 1993, and I overwhelmed him with a folder with paperwork... )
Old 10-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Russ, have you tried the BMW Drive Cycle routine?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fairly certain only Missouri can legally write you for an expired Missouri plate, other states can't enforce Missouri law. If you lived in Texas for a period of time and failed to register in a timely manner, you might get a ticket for that ,but there would be a grace period in which to register the Texas car.

Notice I said "legally" write you a ticket. I have had seen Texas cops wrongfully write these sorts of citations in the past, but they have always resulted in a dismissal.

I think that most large Texas counties do actual emissions testing, small counties don't. Tarrant probably does.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look here:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/act.htm

From this, I think that Tarrant County does both a OBDII and tailpipe test.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
baron95993
Pro

Russ
I live on Tyler Texas (about 2 hours from FW) and I have the computer that will erase the codes if you get this way let me know and i can help you erase of fix the issues. Good luck. Brent is right on what he says he has dismissed that ticket for me in the past.

Baron
Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

You will not pass inspection without clearing the codes (in Tarrant County). You can register the car in TX without valid inspection from out of state. What caused the codes?

Originally Posted by rkb
I am moving to Texas at the end of the month and will be either driving or shipping my car when I make certain I have the garage space.
The problem I have is that I so far cannot get my OBDII to reset for reading by driving here in St. Louis.
St. Louis provides NO way to do actual emissions readings - the ONLY way to pass is via the OBDII.
I was planning on driving the car to TX - however, having been stopped already once (today!) for expired plates, the last thing I want to do is make a 700 mi drive and get stopped over and over through southwestern MO, OK, and north TX if I cannot get re-registered by the end of next week.

So here's the question: Do they have actual emissions reading avail in Tarrant County (Fort Worth), TX?
What else is involved to "import" a car with expired registration into TX?

Any help is appreciated.

(Of note, I just wanted to thank the Brentwood, MO police officer who "let me go THIS time" - my story probably seemed strange, but I haven't had more than a parking ticket since 1993, and I overwhelmed him with a folder with paperwork... )
Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Bring the car over to our place and I can clear the codes for you. I'm just north of Ft. Worth.

I also have a great inspection shop here that is "careful" when doing our cars.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

If the codes were as a result of a loss of battery power, they must be reset by driving through a certain sequence and can take hours (on 993s). The sequence can be found by doing a search.

Originally Posted by SeanR
Bring the car over to our place and I can clear the codes for you. I'm just north of Ft. Worth.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Bill W. Try the BMW method for resetting the readiness codes, it worked for me, and I've had some fairly regular SAI fault codes.
Good luck!
Phil
Old 10-16-2008, 09:25 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to Texas!

(thats all I've got for now...)
Old 10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I do not need the codes cleared - I need them to get into the ready position. (Sorry if that wasn't clear in the initial posting.)
The loss of battery power caused the loss of the codes, so I will try the BMW driving cycle. I think my problem is that I've been popping above 3000rpm...

If I cannot get that done in the next 2 weeks, I'll ship the car via FedEx Passport (I found out Intercity only goes E <-> W regularly and they suggested FedEx for a N to S move). Once in TX I'll get an actual emissions and register the car at that time.

SeanR - That's great to know! I'll definitely look you up when it comes time for the inspection!

Quick Reply: Texas Registration Questions